Steyr Club Forums banner
3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  SELFDEFENSE 
#1 ·
Hi y'all (yup, we say that down here...lol). New to the board and thought I'd say hi. Prior Marine with alot of handgun experience but first time Steyr owner. I was wanting something else to satiate my range time and was looking around for something unique, well designed and had a reputation in the field. Well, that knocked Glock out of the running (I kid, I kid...). I've only begun to start my collection up again (S&W .38 airweight, Taurus PT 140 and now the Steyr) as my wife is just now embracing the sport (one good thing that happened because of Katrina). Hope to become a regular here and learn alot. I'm waiting on it to ship (bought it off of auctionarms.com) and growing hesitant...lol. I feel like I'm 12 and not 31 waiting for the mail to bring me something good!

#4 ·
Great Choice

The S40 is the right handgun in the right caliber in my opinion. The subcompact S40 is probably one of the best, if not the best, handgun in the subcompact market available. While not the shortest it is one of the thinnest and you'll find it leaves very little imprint if worn concealed. I'm glad that more Americans are returning to self-defense through the purchase of fine firearms. I trust the lives of my family and myself to my Steyr M40 everyday and you'll find that is a common thing among the 1,000 + members of the website. In addition, you'll find that so many of us have been so pleased with our Steyr pistols and rifles that we've developed almost a fanatical devotion to Steyr Mannlicher.

This website is a GOLD MINE of information on Steyr pistols in particular and Steyr Mannlicher not only participates from time to time within this forum, but does monitor it. View the tutorials and information section for detailed info on cleaning and going beyond the standard field strip. Suggestions and reviews are also available on accessories and ammunition selection.

Safe Shooting and Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Semper Fidelis!

G
#5 ·
Re: Great Choice

ministerofdeath said:
The S40 is the right handgun in the right caliber in my opinion. The subcompact S40 is probably one of the best, if not the best, handgun in the subcompact market available. While not the shortest it is one of the thinnest and you'll find it leaves very little imprint if worn concealed.
Semper Fidelis!
not to disagree, but as much as I love my Steyrs and I do carry my S9...

A) it is a compact, not a subcompact (kahr pm9/40, bersa thunder 380, Marakovs, kel-tecs etc. are the subcompact class)
B) width is one area the S is definetly bigger than most (not all) of it's counterparts in the same size range (p239, P99C, G26, XD-C, Officer's 1911, USP-C, etc.)

#6 ·
Thanks all. I know how hard it is to run a good forum and keep it relevant (I moderate a large auto-enthusiast forum with about 8k members) so to see the majority of the info I've found not garbage pays homage to the mods or the members (but as a mod myself I tend to give alot to the mods ;) ). Yup, I've read the S-40 has some girth. As far as concealment; I think the grip angle and weapon's stability platform (sights, muzzle flip, etc.) lends itself to be a better employable sidearm than its counterparts (from what I've read). This now will be determined on the range, where, like any good Marine I'll blame all the FTEs, FTFs and drops to a poorly designed weapon until I can master it about 50%. Therein I'll just say "it's all about the gentleman holding the gun"...lol

#10 ·
S=Subcompact

Well,

The S-40 is a subcompact, hence the "S" in "S40" the M-series is a standard compact size and as you'll see throughout this website many of us do wish that Steyr made an "L" or large size target or full-size pistol similar to the M and S series.

But hey, don't take my word for it "[w]hen the subcompact Steyr S (small) series pistols come out in the latter half of 2000, it will be a perfect complement to the compact Steyr M series that is now available." (http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/steyr40.htm).

Sorry FlaChef.

P.S. FlaChef knows his stuff about Steyr and simply made a mistake (in my opinion). GOD KNOWS I MAKE MY FAIR SHARE OF MISTAKES FROM TIME TO TIME. FlaChef is one of the most respected members on this site and if I had a Steyr issue he is one of the folks I would PM.

G
#11 ·
funny, same article, and two more are where I got my info.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are plans to also expand the line into the "S" Small series, and this series might possibly see daylight in 2000.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

technicaly compact and subcompact are marketing terms anyway. To me a Subcompact is a pocket size BUG.

But the XD's call themselves subcompacts (though there is no compact between the service and subcompact in the XD line) and the Walther P99's and Sig P239's are called mere compacts,all are within a hair's breath of a S on dimensions (I have stacked them side to side).

M by the way is for Medilum. hence you have a med and small, med and Xtra Small makes no sense to me as I see it. YMMV. Although there is a photoshopped XS9 floating around here somewhere that looked neat.

looks like since there are no real definitions we are going to have to disagree, you say Potatoe and I say Tuber :lol:

Enough Digressing For Now; I wanna hear how this "good marine" fares w/ his new heater

#12 ·
how bout some video footage: 40s&w vs. THE CANTALOUPE starring penguin!!

my .02 on the RAGING subcompact debate is...

anything below 50 bmg is subcompact. let's all buy mini guns!!!

my local store has a steyr hs50. thinking about buying it, firing it once, and returning it; saying it lacks "oomph". "got anything with a little more "chutzpah?"

#13 ·
Re: S=Subcompact

ministerofdeath said:
The S-40 is a subcompact, hence the "S" in "S40" ...
But hey, don't take my word for it "[w]hen the subcompact Steyr S (small) series pistols come out in the latter half of 2000, it will be a perfect complement to the compact Steyr M series that is now available." (http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/steyr40.htm).
I don't care what Steyr calls it, its not a "sub" compact. Just like the HK USP "Compact" is not a compact.

Compared to Kahrs, KelTecs and Rohrbaughs and even the baby Glock, Steyr S's are NOT "sub" compact.

S=Subcompact falls in the Fancy Catsup catagory.
\:D/

#14 ·
bigtaco said:
how bout some video footage: 40s&w vs. THE CANTALOUPE starring penguin!!
Since we really don't have any outdoor ranges left due to Katrina, I doubt my indoor ranges would like me taking my wrath out on different food prodcuts inside. I'll ask, though ;)

FlaChef said:
Enough Digressing For Now; I wanna hear how this "good marine" fares w/ his new heater
I can't wait to get it. The shipper is being very slow about it. It's not scheduled to ship off until Tuesday (even though I paid them and gave them the FFL info on the 11th). Oh well. Just have to send more rounds downrange with the .38.

#15 ·
Yeah, subcompact is a marketing term no doubt about that. My Grandfather would have called them pocket pistols and wouldn't have had any idea back in his day what a compact or subcompact was and believe me he knew his firearms. I mean really there is only three type of sizes that I'm aware of the full-size, compact, and subcompact and Steyr doesn't have a full-size so some of us have put the rest in compact and subcompact by default.

EITHER WAY the S-Series is easy to conceal carry and shoots like a dream.

What Kind of Ammo are you going to carry with your new S40?

Do you have a CPL/CCW to carry it?

#16 ·
So I pick up my new gun today and go shoot a few rounds. Here's my review:

Steyr Arms S40 .40 S&W made in 2/01.

Weight: It's an average weight poly pistol that felt a little top heavy at first. I give this to it having a supported barrel and really appreciate it!

Finish: It has a nice tenifer finish with no rust or very noticeable wear.

Sighting: It was weird at first sighting on the trapezoid sights, but it felt more natural after the barrel settled in place when shooting. I love it 10x more than post sights. You get much faster SP/SA with these IMHO.

Muzzle flip: What? Is there? Very little that I noticed. Much less than some Glocks I've shot and a good bit less than my Taurus .40. The bore axis is nice and low and my wrist feels at less of an angle when shooting. Damn comfortable.

Take down: Simple and efficient with a switch.

Issues: I fired 300 rounds through it and had no FTEs but did have 1 FTF at about round 200. It was the second round in the magazine. I guess it just didn't want to go into battery for some reason, but performed flawlessly after that. Also, it only came with 1 10rd magazine. I need to go buy another. Also, I don't like how GZS "melted" the old importer (GIS) stamp and put there stamp below it.

Verdict: The price was right (and I believe the S models will only go up in value with time), the gun feels great in my hand and shoots pretty well. I can't wait to get some more range time in! =D>

Here are a few pics:

#17 ·
The S40 is I think the best gun in the Steyr M & S series....it strikes a perfect balance of compactness, weight, power and "on-board" ammo capacity.

Every now and then, I make mine into an "S357" by dropping in my M357 barrel in it. Now that I have a few hundred boxes of Winchester Ranger-T 357 SIG JHP ammo, I like carrying that gun/ammo combo around.

If my LE agency authorized carriage of any gun we wanted, that gun would be my day-to-day carry gun (except for days I have to wear a suit....my Kahr P9 Covert would get the nod in that event :D ).

Nice range report Penguin!

#18 ·
Well, it's been over a year and a few thousand rounds later and I still love this gun. I'm an accident investigator, casualty/workers' comp adjuster so I spend the majority of my time outside. This being New Orleans, I tend to be in many an unsavory place at odd hours. I'm glad I haven't had to use it, but it did deter one man who walked up to my car late one evening when I was at a scene. I was sitting in my car doing my report after the scene was cleared and I had (as always) my S40 tucked between the seat and center console. He came up and knocked on my window hard, looked down, and walked off very fast...lol.

As for CHL, yup. LA is a great state, too. We consider your vehicle as an extension of your home and no CHL is required to have a gun in your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.