Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've been a lurker here for about a week trying to learn all I could about these awesome guns and thanks to everyone's input and information they've posted, I went on the hunt just to see if it was a viable option to carry. After calling about every shop in town, I found one that had a new S40-A1. When I got there, the guy that helped me said I was the first person to mention Steyr in that shop in who knows how long and that is had been sitting around for quite a while. After holding it and comparing to the PPS that it was competing against (and feeling that amazing trigger), I was sold.

The gun has a July 2010 date code but seems to extract and eject well (just racking through a couple rounds in a magazine to make sure they didn't just fall out like some had reported). It has the roller beneath the rear sight, so I assume it's one of the "upgraded" versions. The real test comes this weekend when I can get to the range!

Thanks for all the info everyone. This is an awesome website/forum and I'm happy to be a part of it.

And here's a pic of my new S40-A1 (crappy cell phone shot. I'll get the real camera out soon)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome to the club. its nice to find a steyr in the weeds of more popular brands locally. nice find....and good timing. slim pickins right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is very slim pickins! I was quite surprised to find they actually had one. The person that originally picked up the phone didn't even know of the brand but he handed off the phone to someone who did. Sadly no luck on finding any local shop that knows about a Schmidt-Rubin K-11's or K-31s. Not rare, just obscure. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes Sir. Sounds like you got lucky, getting probably that one fellow in the gun shop who knows the inventory. True on those swiss rifles. Can't say I've ever seen either in the metal...only online in pics. Course I never looked for either.

Make sure, if you don't mind, to come back and give your range report on you s40.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Welcome to Steyrclub! I have yet to see a new Steyr here local,stores around here just don't seem to get any in stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was shocked too, trust me. I was going to buy one sight unseen from a shop in town that can order them from a big supplier up north, but I'm glad I got to have a hands-on before buying. Before I held this gun, the Walther PPS felt great, but then holding one after I held the Steyr, it felt utterly terrible. We shall see how Saturday goes!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

I've been fighting the flu or I'd have welcomed you sooner. Try either Graf & Sons or Widners for K31s or K11s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ETH77, Widners looks pretty awesome. I used Graf & Sons over Black Friday to get ammo for my Nagant m1895 revolver. Tricky little rounds to get! I see 7.5 Swiss listed in your calibers. I know it's a Steyr forum, but how do you like your Schmidt-Rubin (if that's what you use it in)?

Also, for those interested, here's my write up of how this weekend at the range went: http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/threads/9917-Results-From-First-Range-Trip-with-S40-A1

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Howdy from Daytona Beach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts