Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- I'm soon to join the Steyr (hopefully happy) owners club. I just purchased an S9-A1 and it should be arriving any day now. Had to search high and low with the current craze- but finally located one at a Cabelas in West Virginia. Luckily they were nice enough to sell and ship me a gun that I've never seen/held... I guess people do that all the time.

As for me, I'm new to Steyr but not exactly new to weapons in general. I was a Marine PMI, teaching teufelshuden and squids how to shoot and qualify with the M9, M-16, the MP5 and finally the M4. Then I headed over to state where my T/E was a Sig, an Uzi, and a trusty Remington 870. I'm a civvie now and while I try to explain my interest in firearms to my wife who, being a law abiding citizen from Chicago, has never been around guns, she just doesn't get it.

Anyway, having sifted through many of the posts on the website I'm looking forward to getting my S9-A1 and doing some research on the serial number to find out what sort of problems (and corrections) I'm in for. Any advice would certainly help out.

Thanks,
TM

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya TM :)

Welcome ta The Club, Bro! :thumbsup:

When ya get 'er in yer hands, do a field strip an' clean 'er all up an' lube 'er with a nice light coat o' CLP on the workin' surfaces.

I know ya don't gotta, but I usually do a 5-rd break in...shoot 1 round then clean the bbl...shoot another round then clean the bbl...total o' 5 times. And, these pistols were made to chew-thru 124 gr 9MM NATO specs FMJ ammo, according to the manufacturer.

Call 'er broke in, an commence ta get yer 300-500 rounds "good-ta-go for reliability" stamp of approval. :thumbsup:

Hey, an' let us know how you're gettin' on.

Take care, Bro. :D

Wulf <-- interested in seein' how our new sharp-shootin' Bro from TX does with a M9-A1 on paper. :popcorn:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I got to the range today after picking up the firearm last night at cabelas. It shoots like a dream and is exactly what I wanted.
No problems shooting with it at all everything seemed to be great. Until I really got the hang of the sights, about 20 rounds in or so then I noticed- it's shooting CONSISTENTLY high and right. I went to the range with two buddies who also confirmed this is definitely they case and I even saved a target to prove it. I'll try to post that (as well as repost this in an appropriate place for some help) later since I'm writing this mobile and don't see the option.

Has anyone ever noticed similar issues and/or have any idea whay it could be? Out of the box the weapon seems to be sighted wrong? Are the sights adjustable somehow? Another friend who's pretty versed in firearms took a look and neither of us could see any way to adjust them so the conclusion was that they were not.
We were shooting from the 7yd line and it was pretty good groupings above and right of center a good 6in. Thoughts are they would be off the paper if we were shooting from the 15. Also, to confirm the problem I took a few shots aiming low and left and no doubt hit a few dead center bullseyes.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya TM* :)

Try a 6:00 sight pic an' see how ya do. Also, if I shoot the 9MM NATO 124 gr'ers it seems that the 6:00 sight pic is spot on!

FYI.

Take care.

Wulf <-- "we're gonna needa bigger boat!" ... lol, ya gotta love "Jaws"

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya TM* :)

Not adjustable sights. <shrug> But 115 gr FMJ vs 124 gr FMJ makes a dif and if ya settle on a single manufacturer and a single bullet wt and aren't happy with what's goin' on with your POA an' POI, then drift the sights to accommodate you and your POI to X windage-wise. The elevation isn't a controlled event, tho...that is gonna be adjusted with your "Kentucky" part of the equation. <shrug>

G'luck an' keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- diggs 6:00 an' "force be with ya" POA with 'is M357-A1 and various reloads :D

In other words, the sights aren't adjustable I should just use Kentucky windage?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked the other day and I confirmed again today. The manual definitely says the sights on my S9-A1 are laterally adjustable.
Does anyone know how to adjust the sights? My guess is the rear sight just needs a click right. image.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
They're adjustable with a brass rod and a hammer.
1. Get a piece of 3/8" brass rod
2. File a flat on the brass rod about 3/4" long and just a little narrower than the sight base at the bottom so that the rounded portion won't hit the upper slants on the dovetail.
3. Put some leather on the jaws of a vice and put the slide in such that the sight base is just above the jaws, then snug the vice down, but not too much, you don't want to bend the slide rail in at all!
4. Using a white crayon and a nail, make a mark on the top of the slide on each side of the trap opening at the base of the sight. Put the crayon on, then use the nail or scribe to mark a line in the crayon. This way you can see how much you're moving the sight when you adjust it
5. With the rod horizontal, and the flat part of the rod down, gently tap the end of the rod with a small ballpeen hammer, or equivalent.
6. You won't need to move it a lot, so less is more here
7. Enjoy your improved accuracy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HOLY CRAP!
That doesn't sound "adjustable" at all- sounds more like mangling!

Nonetheless, ETH77-- THANKS for these instructions and for your insight! I really appreciate you taking the time to put thought behind this and type this out for me.

ETH77, from your detailed instructions I suppose you've done this before. Has anyone else done this procedure?

Thanks,
TM

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya Tm* :)

Hell yeah!!! Welcome ta The Steyrclub. :thumbsup:

Don't be scared, Bro...we got yer 6. <shrug>

Wulf <-- likes it when 'is Bros start ta feel confidence in their Club Communion experiences :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
My writeup was based on a post by someone, I think it was xthexheadx, but maybe someone else who's a real honest to goodness gunsmith. Me, I'm a hacker, but I can follow instructions, most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Tmelam,

I just shot my S40-A1 for the second time yesterday and I have to say before you go to the trouble of trying to adjust your sights try using the sight picture Wulf recommends. When I first shot mine I hit high and to the right. Never had that problem with my Walther PPQ, so I was confused. Yesterday I tried the 6:00 sight picture that Wulf recommended (to me too) and it worked great. I blew out the center 10 ring at 7yds, then aimed for the 7 at the right and blew it out. I had a budy think that my sights were the issue, boy am I glad that I didn't listen to him! ;) With that 6:00 sight picture my S40-A1 is more accurate than my Walther PPQ and will be entering my carry rotation. I love the thing! Sorry to be so wordy. :) Enjoy and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Tmelam,

I just shot my S40-A1 for the second time yesterday and I have to say before you go to the trouble of trying to adjust your sights try using the sight picture Wulf recommends. When I first shot mine I hit high and to the right. Never had that problem with my Walther PPQ, so I was confused. Yesterday I tried the 6:00 sight picture that Wulf recommended (to me too) and it worked great. I blew out the center 10 ring at 7yds, then aimed for the 7 at the right and blew it out. I had a budy think that my sights were the issue, boy am I glad that I didn't listen to him! ;) With that 6:00 sight picture my S40-A1 is more accurate than my Walther PPQ and will be entering my carry rotation. I love the thing! Sorry to be so wordy. :) Enjoy and welcome to the club!
I had a similar experience when I was new to my Frankensteyr. I read the posts and stickies about using the trap sights and the difference was profound.

Everyone should read all the stickies and tips in this forum. After a bit of reading, a few parts, a bit of polishing and a bit of ammo you too can become an amazing shot with this fine family of pistols.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts