Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member of the club and this is my first thread (although I have been lurking for some time). I was wondering if I could get some feedback from those members that have bought the PW arms weapons from Cabellas or Dan’s ammo.

Specifically, have they been reliable overall and what has been your experience.
I have been reading the forum and know that there have been some problems reported with these mixed parts weapons but how pervasive are those problems and have they been resolved in most cases. Are they all problematic or is it a case of we only hear about the problems that a minority of owners are having.

As you can probably tell from my question, I am considering buying one of these guns since Dan’s has gotten a new batch of them for $399.99. The price is hard to beat but I do not want to own a weapon that I cannot depend on.

My background has been law enforcement and I am retired. I have owned S&W, Glock, and Sig. I carried a Sig as a duty weapon for 15 years with no problems in all during that time. I like to try different weapons and my research has brought me to Steyr. It seems a very capable and ergonomic weapon but quality control and reliability are a paramount concern for me. I can deal with initial problems but no one wants to own a lemon.

I hope to hear from many members of the Club that own these weapons and hope you each have a blessed day

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome!
First off, I bought one from Cabelas a couple of months ago. I have since put about 800 rounds through it with only 3 FTF"s. All with RWB during the first 150 rounds. No problems since. I have put all types of ammo through it, from steel cased Russian ammo to Zombie killer hp's. I was worried after some of the stories I have been reading. I love it so far! You can't beat the deal of $399!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought one from Cabela's last month, have roughly 450 rounds through it, with two FTFs and one FTE. My first instinct was to panic because of things I'd read here on the forum, but Steyr gets high marks for customer service, and the gun has otherwise been outstanding (150+ rounds today w/o problems) with great accuracy. I just wish I was a better shot overall, as a friend of mine shot it today and put my accuracy to shame.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got one of those M9 from Cabelas as well. 600 rds so far and just have a 2nd FTF. So far the gun is accurate and very high quality built, for the price I can't complaint. The trigger is heavy and not quite smooth at the beginning; however, it seems to get better over time. I'm ordering a BT delrin cup and Lee spring. Let see how that helps the trigger. On other hand I recently bought a C9-A1 with the new improved trigger. It's no joke when they said improved trigger. It's much better than the M9 trigger. My advice is that if you are going to have only one Steyr pistol, get the new model :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear that there have been some good experiences with these weapons. After some of the posts here at the club, I was starting to wonder. It is such a good deal for 399.99 it is hard to turn down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would agree with mrar15, above. The newest generation, the M9-A1, has many improvements over the PW Arms M9. Not sure why Dan's has them mis-labeled as M9-A1. If only you could find a barely used M9-A1 for around $25 more. Newer mags with correct springs and higher capacity, no LCI, better trigger due to pin addition, and newest extractor on a gun still covered by factory warranty.

·
Registered
632 Posts
As you can probably tell from my question, I am considering buying one of these guns since Dan’s has gotten a new batch of them for $399.99. The price is hard to beat but I do not want to own a weapon that I cannot depend on.

My background has been law enforcement and I am retired. I have owned S&W, Glock, and Sig. I carried a Sig as a duty weapon for 15 years with no problems in all during that time. I like to try different weapons and my research has brought me to Steyr. It seems a very capable and ergonomic weapon but quality control and reliability are a paramount concern for me. I can deal with initial problems but no one wants to own a lemon.
I dont' think there has a been a MFG out there that has not made some sort of bad something at one point in time.

The biggest thing I've seen here in the forums is people having issues with FTE's, and the one trigger issue.

The biggest thing with Making any sort of item, is there really is no way to test it hard core unless you got 10 or 15 people who can be honest and really rape these weapons in the out doors and report back.

Most weapons testing is in a controlled environment, not out in a dusty desert, or 5 foot of snow.
They dont want testers throwing a gun in the mud, picking it up and shooting it.

Biggest thing your going to gain with Steyr is SAI. Great customer support because they are not selling bazillions of guns.
Your getting local customer service here in the states instead of having to send off direct to europe.

This appears to be a great community as well. Lots of gun forums just have big trash fests. We talk about other guns here and try our best to help others out.

Plus there doesn't appear to be 40 website forums for 1 MFG like other brands.

I love the K.I.S.S. method for anything, and that sort of sticks around here.

I love being part of a community with good forums and friends, it encourages me to push the products more.

Reactions: xthexheadx

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,

I have a PW Arms pistol I bought from Cabelas. I knew it was not the latest version as it did not have the roll pin slide. It was only $399 and I could not find any current model M9-A1 pistols locally anyway.

Here are the issues I have had and what I have done:

1. It had the FTE problem. An email to SAI and I had a new extractor in the mail. Kudos to SAI, they sent it free even though they knew it was a PW Arms pistol. This seems to have cured the problem. A bit more testing next week will tell.

2. I started to get the reset problem. I looked at the excellent tutorials and diagnosed and fixed the problem, it was spring #20. Everything seems fine now. A bit more testing next week will tell.

3. I decided to do the BT trigger job. I bought the new striker spring and delrin cups, in fact I bought two sets so I have the parts on hand when I buy another Steyr. I did all the polishing and installed the parts. Everything seems nice now that it is all tuned and installed. I had some issues with the drop safety hook and the trigger bar catching, but a bit of fiddling cured it and it all seems to work well and be a lot smoother after a bunch of dry fires. A bit more testing next week will tell.

Was it worth the $399 plus $20 in parts and about $7 in polishing supplies? Yes, once it is all tuned up after a bit of testing this will be a very nice pistol and I enjoyed doing the work.

Having said this if you can not do the work yourself you will probably be frustrated and should buy a new model M-A1 that is from SAI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased one recently and really like it. Came with a lot of rust inhibitor, which I failed to clean off prior to using the first time. Had a couple stovepipes. Since cleaning and lubing, the gun has been fault free for just over 500 rounds. Just added the BT delrin cups and noticed vast improvement in dry fire trigger action. Can't wait to drain some live rounds through. Am ordering a Tommy Theis IWB holster and should be set to go. Glad I purchased, can heartily recommend! Be safe!

Sent from my rotary dial phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning toward buying one of the latest models just to be sure of reliability. Unfortunately, I might have to wait awhile to be able to afford the difference in price (retired but on a budget). What would be a best price for a new M9A1 and what would be a good source for purchase.
Thanks and have a blessed day

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning toward buying one of the latest models just to be sure of reliability. Unfortunately, I might have to wait awhile to be able to afford the difference in price (retired but on a budget). What would be a best price for a new M9A1 and what would be a good source for purchase.
Thanks and have a blessed day
I have heard rumors of the source and mismatched parts of these pistols for months after I purchased one. The biggest issue that I had was my gun didn't like Russian Steel Cased ammo within the first 100 rounds. Since, I have not had a single issue with the gun that I got from Dan's Ammo. I have been running Speer Lawman 115gr TMJ without any issues in 500 rounds plus another 150 of steel and Winchester White Box.

I wouldn't be worried about the quality of these guns for any reason. Save the money for a custom holster and extra mags!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went with $399. Cabelas, gun looks like it has not been used since it left the factory. It pretty dry with virtually no lube on the gun. I hope to take it out this week to see how she shoots. Hope the $100.00 saving proves to be a good investment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also bought a $399 Cabelas M9A1. Cleaned and lubed it and went out and fired about 200 problem free rounds. Then bought a used S9 and had FTE in 1st 20 rounds. Some of the ejected rounds only flew a few inches above the gun. I bought two 1911 plunger springs since they were so cheap. Installed them on both guns, and about 200 problem free rounds thru the S9 and about 100 thru the M9A1. My BigTaco delrin bushings for both guns should be here any day now. Great guns. Sold all my Sigs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,

I have a PW Arms pistol I bought from Cabelas. I knew it was not the latest version as it did not have the roll pin slide. It was only $399 and I could not find any current model M9-A1 pistols locally anyway.

Here are the issues I have had and what I have done:

1. It had the FTE problem. An email to SAI and I had a new extractor in the mail. Kudos to SAI, they sent it free even though they knew it was a PW Arms pistol. This seems to have cured the problem. A bit more testing next week will tell.

2. I started to get the reset problem. I looked at the excellent tutorials and diagnosed and fixed the problem, it was spring #20. Everything seems fine now. A bit more testing next week will tell.

3. I decided to do the BT trigger job. I bought the new striker spring and delrin cups, in fact I bought two sets so I have the parts on hand when I buy another Steyr. I did all the polishing and installed the parts. Everything seems nice now that it is all tuned and installed. I had some issues with the drop safety hook and the trigger bar catching, but a bit of fiddling cured it and it all seems to work well and be a lot smoother after a bunch of dry fires. A bit more testing next week will tell.

Was it worth the $399 plus $20 in parts and about $7 in polishing supplies? Yes, once it is all tuned up after a bit of testing this will be a very nice pistol and I enjoyed doing the work.

Having said this if you can not do the work yourself you will probably be frustrated and should buy a new model M-A1 that is from SAI.
I have completed my testing and tuning of my messaged PW Arms M9-A1. It has been a great success.

As mentioned above I did the Big Taco trigger tuneup with the delrin cups and new striker spring. A new extractor was also installed. I am very happy with my $399 purchase and have had a good bit of fun with all the tinkering and polishing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have completed my testing and tuning of my messaged PW Arms M9-A1. It has been a great success.

As mentioned above I did the Big Taco trigger tuneup with the delrin cups and new striker spring. A new extractor was also installed. I am very happy with my $399 purchase and have had a good bit of fun with all the tinkering and polishing.
I did the BT delrin cups and the striker spring; however, the trigger will not reset with the new spring. I have to use the factory spring instead. The trigger wasn't any lighter but might be more consistent now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts