New member with a "followed me home" report: M40

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Pier23, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

Gentlefolk;

I fell in love with the Steyr GB donkey's years ago, and it remains my favorite 9mm, if it were not so hard to clean because of the ported barrel.

That nit aside, I was at my LGS the other day, in line waiting for the range line to get me to the checkin, so I looked over the used gun selection..and there sitting in the corner of the case, unnoticed, and unappreciated, was a Steyr M40.

As it happened, I was there to shoot anyway, and it being a used pistol, the LGS guys were more than happy to let me play with it.

Well...it followed me home....

Age is uncertain, save that I have a notice saying that it being received by the distributor prior to March 2001, no case proof had been required, so one was not submitted to the feds. <sigh>. I will have to live with that I guess....

Anyway, I know NOTHING about the M line...save that I fell in love with the say the pistol fit in my hand, and LOVE the trapezoidal sights! Would love to have that system on all my pistols!!

It came with two mags - 10 round .40. The manual said that LEOs get the 14 round mags, so I wonder now if I can get the larger capacity mags????

Anyway, any info/experiences with this M40 line would be appreciated!

Many thanks all, and I am thrilled to have learned about SteyrClub!

Attached Files:

2. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

Welcome! There is alot of helpful info around here on Steyr pistols. Steyr builds a very durable gun. It has it's quirks just like all the others do but I like them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013

3. Doc

Doc New Member

4. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

Thanks, all! Have to check on my guy's mfg date!

Any idea why Steyr hasn't takenoff in this country? The AUG is great, the GB is great, if, as I have heard, overly complex, the M series is very appealing to me at least, but I don't see Styers in LGSs unless on the used rack.

Oh, any issues with the M40 I should consider before replacing my Glock with the Steyr as my EDC?

5. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

Thanks, Doc,

It appears I have a March 2000 build of the M40. This will be a fun piece to get to know. Now to source some larger mags before the wierdness hits!