Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to pistol shooting and recently purchased a NIB M9-A1, it is one of the nicest pistols I have had the pleasure to shoot. I'm having some FTE issues and was hoping to learn from the folks with the knowledge how to resolve my issues.

Glock 17
STI GP-6C 9mm
S&W M&P 9mm
Springfield XD 9
Walther SP22 M4

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya okee* :)

Welcome ta the Club, Bro.

First, carefully inspect your mag followers. In the past, there has been issues w/ the wrong follower in the factory mags. There were some m40/m357 followers installed in place of the m9 followers. There's a thread all about it somewhere. <shrug>

And, of course, the first thing ya do when ya get onna these babies is tear it down and do a great cleaning and a light lubing.

Then hit the range w/ some good ammo. Walmart sells the Winchester Whitebox 115 gr FMJ's and that's good enuf for practice, til ya got 'er all broke in, IMHO.

If the FTE's persist, then I'd make sure ya got the latest/greatest extractor.

Does your new M9-A1 gotta Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI)? Does it gotta roll pin at the back of the slide?

That'd let ya know ya got the latest "NIB M*-A1", with the latest extractor.

Whatever happens, just know that Jeff Reece at SAI has your back and reliability is inevitable...or get rid o' the f**ker. <shrug>

G'luck, Bro and keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- back ta burnin' 'is latest business cards *sigh*

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm having some FTE issues and was hoping to learn from the folks with the knowledge how to resolve my issues.
I'll run down my list of things that I've attributed to my few FTE, things to look out for after you've checked what Wulf mentioned:

Ammo choice- my C9-A1 likes 124 grain a lot more than 115. The brand I've had the most trouble with is Remington (both JHP and FMJ's) so...take that as you will. Ammo I've shot without problem: 124 gr. Speer Lawman and Gold Dots, 115 gr. Blazer Brass and Aluminum, Winchester White Box, Tula (cheap steel case).

Weak mag springs- I had a lot of problems with my slide not locking back, at the same time as occasionally having a FTE or a FTF(eed). I found a thread on Steyr Club about short, crappy magazine springs. Sure enough, I had the 8/9 wind springs in my 15 round mags. Got some new springs from Jeff at SAI (not sure who the importer is for Canada...) and I haven't had an issue since (except with Remington Ammo). The 2 additional 17-round mags I got a few weeks ago have had no problems either.

Technique- you say you're new to pistol shooting (it looks like you've taken the plunge by the list in your signature!). I'm pretty new as well, and I'm pretty sure that one or two of my FTE's were from "limp wristing" a shot. I think some people are too quick to blame technique when there's a problem, but it's still a possibility.

Overly slick slide- I haven't had any experience with this, but others on the forums say that sometimes the slide cycles a little too quick. Applying a high viscosity slide grease apparently can help slow it down just enough to reliably cycle. Again, this is only second hand.

Time- I'm personally on my first hand gun, so I haven't had the luxury of experiencing this for myself, but, like almost all mechanical devices, pistols need some breaking in. I hear 300-500 rounds as the typical number thrown around. I'm approaching that number myself and have had almost zero problems in the last 200 hours (the exceptions: someone else shooting my gun (probably a technique problem) and a Remington round).

Hopefully that helps. Good luck and happy shooting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wulf <-- back ta burnin' 'is latest business cards *sigh*
For a while there I was wondering where you had disappeared to...

Sorry to hear about the troubles but, at the very least, you get to hang out more with your Steyr brothers now!

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya *cow* :)

Yeah, that vaginal masseuse gig didn't pan out for me. A lit'l too much feedback from the cheap seats. <shrug>

Anyway, all ur info is good.

Chatatcha later, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- just burned 'is last vaginal masseuse card *sigh*

For a while there I was wondering where you had disappeared to...

Sorry to hear about the troubles but, at the very least, you get to hang out more with your Steyr brothers now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Folks,

Thanks for all the advice. I did another gun cleaning cleaned the magazines and used some Wolf ammo at the range today - 40 rounds 1 FTE..much happier.
How ever I have noticed the feedrack is pitted and has two marks.(hopefully the picture captures the detail). Can I polish those out with a dremel and rouge or should I send it back to Steyr and have them fix it.?
Steyr Barrell.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Dayam okee* !

Send Jeff a pic!

Then, see what he has to say about it.

If that's an NIB bbl, it shouldn't have passed an inspection, IMHO.

I can't tell ya how many rounds I've put thru my M357-A1, and its so much more smooth and polished lookin' than yours that its unimaginable that you haven't had this bbl for some time and even managed to put it in a pro-rust environment.

What product were you using to clean the bbl?!

Plz advise.

G'luck, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- thinkin' some copper cleaner w/ heavy ammonia spilled all over the feedramp, no oil applied afterward and left over night wouldn't have managed that much feedramp carnage <shrug>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts