Steyr Club Forums banner
6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Demigod 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say hi to everyone and show off my new AUG I just got. I really love this rifle, can't wait to start adding the optics and accessories.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the SteyrClub! Sweet looking, if only they were in 6.5 Grendel...

#4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I only shot about 20 rds to make sure everything was in working order so I could leave a feedback on Gunbroker. I'm awaiting the optics and stuff before I can really test it out. The trigger seemed fine to me so far.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Know what ya mean, Pier*

...somethin' like this, but inna nice 6.8 SPC (comperable to 270 Win) anna green laser :thumbsup:

Pier23 said:
:drool:

You have my one bucket list rifle.....
Oh, an' Guys...If ya ever get the opportunity ta try outta bullpup, its really hard ta go back to an' AR platform, IMHO. :thumbsup:

Ciao Baby :cool:

Wulf <-- diggs bullpups for upclose an' personal

#9 ·
Hiya *tax*

What do you prefer, "AR over AUG" platform?

I've had quite a bit of experience w/ both platforms, including the MSAR-AUG clone.

With the bullpup platforms, I really appreciate the way the wt is more comfortably distributed in carryin' mode, the quicker target acquisition from "at-ease to go", the way it moves more freely inna smaller area, say in an' out of a vehicle or tight quarters, etc.

And from a bench with 16" bbls, I have no noticeable difference in accuracy atta 100 yds. <shrug>

Those are the kinds of things I'm talkin' bout...the kinds of benefits I appreciate in close quarters scenarios. :thumbsup:

Take care, Bro. :)

Wulf <-- :popcorn:

Coulda fooled me - I recently sold my MSAR and I think I'm going to build a new AR. :D

#10 ·
I always felt like the ARs handled better. The AUG platform is fat and that somehow always bothered me. The STG optic rail never was the right height (I could have changed that) and I never liked how limited the user is in configuring (accessories) the AUG pattern rifle. Cleaning the MSAR was always a bit more involved than an AR and I never felt comfortable that I would easily be able to track down parts when/if something broke.

Honestly, it boils down to familiarity I think. The AR has always felt right at home in my hands, it can be setup for any shooting style or task in just a few moments, and on the whole - it just does everything right. The only marked advantage of the AUG pattern rifle is its compactness - mine was a shorter OAL than my buddy's 11.5" SBR AR.

I'll probably build a 10.5" 5.56 AR, or do a 9.X" rifle in .300BLK.

#11 · (Edited)
Hiya *tax*

Dayam!!! That'll be a sweet rig, Bro. :drool:

Post the pics when ya get 'er all gathered up an' assembled. :thumbsup:

Oh, an' *tax*, I completely agree with ya on the MSAR STG stocker low profile 1.5X MSAR sight, that's why I still gotta low profile 1.5X MSAR Stocker sight somewhere 'round here. With that low profile sight, the STG didn't hava cheek weld, it had more of a "temple weld". The high profile sight I bought corrected it nicely and sold with the STG, after I was done messin' around w/ it. <shrug>

Oh, and the Ratworx Trigger Pak went with it, as well. That stocker trigger pak sucked! (The Ratworx Trigger Pak is a highly recommended upgrade for you E4 and STG Bros, unless ya really lika long travelin', hard stackin' sumbiatch. If you're interested, talk ta Chris at Ratworx...he's a great guy! :thumbsup:)

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- would never turn down the op ta play with a lit'l 10.5" 5.56 AR

...I'll probably build a 10.5" 5.56 AR, or do a 9.X" rifle in .300BLK.

#12 ·
Mine didn't have the stock optic - it had a rail. It was always a "chin-weld" and that bothered me. Another major reason to get rid of it that I forgot all about was that the gun only "fit" normal sized guys - the length of pull was too long for almost every woman I ever let shoot the thing and even a few smaller guys. It fit me just fine, but it always bothered me that the MSAR wasn't the sort of gun that anyone could pick up and be "at home" with.

#13 · (Edited)
Dayam *tax*

I see the chin weld you're talkin' bout with the rail!

[video=youtube;nuUfS2apdrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuUfS2apdrM&feature=player_detailpage#t=17s[/video]

Whatta lit'l cutie. :)

Oh an' here's the cheek weld with the hi-profile stocker optics.

[video=youtube;cK1ykiXipOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK1ykiXipOE&feature=player_detailpage#t=63s[/video]

Course, she's a lit'l girl an' he's a big guy. <shrug>

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- wonderin' what the weld orientation would be if they were to exchange rigs :curious:

#14 ·

Update I'm using a Burris scope right now but plan to get either an EOtech or an Aimpoint soon. But I'm probably going to get a M9-A1 before that lol. Nothing wrong with the Burris but I'd like to have the option to have the 3x magnifier flipped to the side when not needed.

#15 ·
Nice lookin' gun. I've not had a chance to play with any AUGs yet, but man I'd love to. I'm personally not a big fan of ARs. I had a guy tell me once that that's un-American *shrug* I just don't like them. I think it might be the weight distribution for me, the fact that all the weight is out front. I'll tell you, if that AUG feels anything in the hand like the FN FS2000 then it'll be sweet! Wish I had either an FS2000 or an AUG.... I'll keep on dreamin' for now. :)

#16 ·
Nice lookin' gun. I've not had a chance to play with any AUGs yet, but man I'd love to. I'm personally not a big fan of ARs. I had a guy tell me once that that's un-American *shrug* I just don't like them. I think it might be the weight distribution for me, the fact that all the weight is out front. I'll tell you, if that AUG feels anything in the hand like the FN FS2000 then it'll be sweet! Wish I had either an FS2000 or an AUG.... I'll keep on dreamin' for now. :)
Thanks man. Check one out of you can, I definitely recommend getting one.

#17 ·
Congrats Demi, she looks like a shooter for sure, I want one....bad!
I like AR's, personally, their modularity is unsurpassed, you can set-up an AR for just about every job imaginable and caliber options are getting bigger all the time. Plus pulling the BCG for a quick fix, field strip is a breeze, aftermarket support is second to none. Having a 22LR BCG conv is a dream for getting rid of ALL your 22LR rounds-maybe that's a bad thing (?) I have no more 22 ammo.
That said, I'm foaming at the mouth for an AUG.

#18 ·
Congrats Demi, she looks like a shooter for sure, I want one....bad!
I like AR's, personally, their modularity is unsurpassed, you can set-up an AR for just about every job imaginable and caliber options are getting bigger all the time. Plus pulling the BCG for a quick fix, field strip is a breeze, aftermarket support is second to none. Having a 22LR BCG conv is a dream for getting rid of ALL your 22LR rounds-maybe that's a bad thing (?) I have no more 22 ammo.
That said, I'm foaming at the mouth for an AUG.
Thanks man! The field strip on these are so fast and simple, you can do the entire thing including the barrel in about a minute. Nice, I would like to get an AR in the future and make a project out of it and build it myself. Current prices are a little steep at the moment or they are out of stock on certain parts. Got any pics of the AR's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.