New member/New owner

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by TacTeacher, Oct 7, 2007.

1. TacTeacher

TacTeacher Guest

Greetings to all,

I'm new to the forum and I thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself.

I just purchased an MA1 9mm two days ago and I put 300 rounds through it yesterday at the range. I noticed that it likes to stay lubricated and has a tendancy to stovepipe if it gets dry. Outside of that what a GREAT SHOOTER. POA/POI is outstanding and I can't say enough about the sight structure. The high grip helps keep recoil very low. All in all a well designed pistol for all practical purposes.

Now... What kind of accessories can I expect to find here? Steel guide rods? Night sights (Preferably trapezoids)? Extra mags?

Is there anything I should know about the MA1 (9mm) that isn't common knowledge outside of this forum?

Who does trigger work for these pistols. I want to lighten the break on the trigger. It's a little stiff for my taste.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome TacT,

I'll put my answers after your questions. One hint. You might downsize that avatar a bit to 150 pixels wide.

There's a section of the forum for steel guide rods, which are manufactured by our member BigTaco. We'd all love to have some trap night sights, but nobody makes them, yet. You can get PT Night Sights for the MA1 series. Extra mags are available through CDNN at the best prices I've heard, as well as through other gun dealers. Other accessories are available through IGB, an Austrian firm, short for Impulse Gun Barrels. Google it.

The M9A1 is identical to the .40 and 357 Sig except for caliber and I've never seen anything here about any peculiarities common to the M9.

Same answer as guide rods, BigTaco is the in-house trigger wizard. He has a tutorial you can find on the homepage which walks you through how to do it yourself. As far as finding a gunsmith to do it, you're pretty much on your own there. Never seen any mentioned here who work on Steyr pistols.

Welcome to the club. It's a great bunch of Steyroids but we all share a handicap. We're owners of a pistol that's not famous, yet, and there's not a whale of a lot of aftermarket support for it, like that other Austrian pistol. :mrgreen:

3. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Same answer as guide rods, BigTaco is the in-house trigger wizard. He has a tutorial you can find on the homepage which walks you through how to do it yourself. As far as finding a gunsmith to do it, you're pretty much on your own there. Never seen any mentioned here who work on Steyr pistols.

Netfotoj

Have you got a link the the trigger Tutorial????

The one on the home page is more for dissembling and reassembly..
    I have read about a trigger job Tutorial but can't find it. Unless that is the one and I missed something????

Oh and TacTeacher WELCOME!!!!

I put the first 300 rounds through mine today :mrgreen:

4. mrboma

mrboma Member

Welcome to the club.

NetJ - his avatar is 150 pixels.

My trigger came "alomost" perfect, and is getting better after 1800+ rounds.

Mike

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I just read on another thread that BigTaco's trigger tutorial is among the missing since the last site update. He has requested the site admin to repost it, but no response yet, as of today. Sorry for the misinformation.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Deluxe247 just recently reported that he hopped to have the trigger tutorial back on the homepage sometime very soon...

7. heavymetalmachine

I guess all I need to know is..

A Can I lighten the trigger pull??

B If so how???

8. madecov

madecov Active Member

I've got around 2000 rounds through my M40A1
    I'm going to guess my trigger has dropped to just under 5lbs.

I never did any polishing or anything to it.

Just shoot the crap out of it

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Welcome ta the Club, *teacher :p

Enjoy yourself and don't be scared ta post questions or answers. :)

Wulf <-- hands the *teacher a big ol' glass o' apple cyder :)

10. heavymetalmachine

Would that be hard cider :wink:

So like Wulf How big can we make are avatars????

11. dwillia29

dwillia29 New Member

Re: trigger, I concur with the "shoot the crap out of it" sentiment.

At ~2k rounds, both my S9's had lightened-up a great deal. When it comes to striker-fired, "semi" DA autos, nothing rivals the Steyr imo.

David

12. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *metal* :)

That's a little tricky ta answer properly, so lets just say, "not as big as mine", and leave it at that. :twisted:

Actually, that topic came up last night at the #Streyrclub chatroom and someone rattled off 150 power or some such nonsense. :roll: But, I tried the 150 and it wasn't quite big enuf to adequately represent the grandeur of my new logo that bab* helped me with, so I'm hostin' it off-site at some free web image storage facility. I made it so it appeared as big as *foto's avatar, then a tad bit bigger, in honor of my ego and my don't-like-the-rulz attitude, and it took. :shock: So, for now and until the great Steryclub sensors w/ their god-like 'puter-net capabilities can smite my under-the-radar superavatar powers, I guess the current and best answer is, "a little bigger than *foto's". :twisted:

Wulf <-- kinda waitin' for some lightenin' ta strike :shock:

13. heavymetalmachine

Wulf man thats too funny!!

Good luck with that..

14. TacTeacher

TacTeacher Guest

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. I don't care much about the trigger weight and even after 300 rounds it has smoothed out quite a bit. The only change I want to make is I want the break to be a little less "stiff". I come from a world of long trigger pulls but they were always consistant. One motion all the way through. I still want that. I am a Beretta guy all the way around and I don't like the Steyr's more popular cousin for my own reasons. I would say that I would rather have a Glock's trigger in my Steyr than the existing FCG.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Tac

15. heavymetalmachine

I just got done putting mine all back together.

I must say that all the work I have done has paid off..Seems to break the same all the time now and seems to be lighter and smoother..

All the info is here on how to do it just search trigger job and polish..

Good luck

16. Took my Uncle and Son to the range today. First time my Uncle fired the Steyr.... had a hard time getting it back. I have the feeling he will be headed to cdnn soon. I need to borrow a trigger scale, I have somewhere around 4 to 5k of rounds through her and trigger pull is very light and crisp. Love it. I will borrow my friends trigger tension scale and see what she is breaking at.
    Never had trigger work and it has smoothed out over time. Also good to keep it clean and dry along with useing powdered graphite every once in a while.

17. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya bitten* :)

Betcha a Corona its closer to 6 lbs...just feels lighter. <shrug> But, for sure, plz post that info. :)

Wulf

18. cyberiad

cyberiad Guest

I agree with the others. Keep shooting your Steyr and the trigger should get better. I only have 425 rounds through my M9-A1 and the trigger has become noticeably better. I haven't done anything more than a field strip for cleaning. In the beginning, I wanted a "Glock-like" trigger because I was very used to my Glock triggers but now I wish my Glock triggers were like the Steyr. The physically wider Steyr trigger is also much better in my opinion

19. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Here's the official SteyrClub policy on avatars from the bottom of the profile page:

https://steyrclub.com/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile

FWIW, mine is 160 pixels wide by 145 high with file size of 6K, so I'm fudging just a bit on the width. Like Wulf, I tried 150 and it looked too small. :mrgreen:

Unless your avatar is so wide it blows out the template of the page and shrinks the message window width, I don't think the wrath of the admins will descend. But I could be wrong, now that I'm an admitted offender!