Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking and feel obligated to jump in. I recently procured an M9 from Dan's. That was one the best deals ever for me. I have been campaigning 1911s for 20 years and recently purchased a Glock 20 for pig hunting. Am a competitive bullseye shooter but only hold an expert card. I shoot the G20 very well in action type competitions and attribute my success to the grip angle- points well for me. Having said that, I am not a Glock fan. I just wanted a good 10mm and the G20 is one of the better platforms for that caliber. Anyway, I have 500 rounds of remington 115 grain ball ammo thru my M9 and have not had any failures. It points well and I really like the trapezoid sights. The gun is not bullseye accurate but who expects a combat gun to shoot 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards??? It is more accurate than any stock Glock I have fired. Those would be 34s, 17s, 19s, 20s, 27s and a 17L. Very pleased with my purchase. Grateful for this forum- Tom

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tom, I have shot bullseye, and compete in all disciplines available to me (USPSA/IDPA/CMP Highpower/Multigun/3Gun/IMGA,etc.)

I echo your thoughts; I shoot a lot of Glocks, because they do many things well. However, offhand, I can get Glocks to shoot as well as the Steyr at 25 yds. The Steyr is just much more efficient at putting rounds down, even at that range with non-match and a very large front sight. I recently shot a very good (for me) 25 yard target with training ammunition out of a G31 chambered in .357SIG, offhand. It outshot my Steyr 25 yard targets. However, it's a different caliber; one that I find quite accurate.

I do not shoot off the bench, but have to inquire on your 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards; was this a personal achievement (offhand/bench)? :) If so, congrats, you are one heck'uva shooter! Mine are about 2 inches at 25, offhand. My pistol's barrel is very worn, but I'm sure the hammer-forging still holds it well!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats and good to have you Tom. I'm currently waiting for my steyr but am glad to hear of the accuracy from everyone as I don't like glocks. You are correct on the 10mm though and what a cool round

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify, I have never shot 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. That is the common expectation and performance of a high dollar 1911 bullseye gun in a machine rest. I have never shot better than a 95 at 50. That would be around 5 inches.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just to clarify, I have never shot 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. That is the common expectation and performance of a high dollar 1911 bullseye gun in a machine rest. I have never shot better than a 95 at 50. That would be around 5 inches.
That's a very good score! I stopped because it took too long to reload for calibers I hardly used. That, and the other reloading took so darn long! USPSA match tomorrow, I'll do my best to stay accurate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts