Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start with the porn :wink:





Bought it from CDNN about a month ago, I've put about 400 rounds of WWB through it, 100 rds of UMC HP's, and 50 rds of speer gold dots.

So far so good, it jammed once on a friend who was shooting for the first time, got one stuck coming up the feed ramp, but I think he was limpwristing.

It doesn't seem to like being cycled by hand and can actually get stuck on the round if I work the slide slowly/softly, but using normal techniques it's fine.

Aside from that it's been fantastic, and is a lot more accurate than I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,190 Posts
Welcome to the club. My M40A1 is my on duty weapon. Department aproved it hust for me :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
Welcome to the club Mr. Gadget! Always happy to welcome one of the men in uniform to any gathering.

What's the duty weapon for the state troopers in Florida? Is it Beretta, like your knife? If so, what model?

The Highway Patrol here in North Carolina recently changed weapons from Beretta Cougar 357 Sig to Sig Sauer and kept the same caliber. I tried mightily to buy one of the Cougars from local patrolmen, but every one I knew was keeping his pistol, which the patrol allowed them to buy for $250 each.

The troopers did not want to give up their Cougars and the only reason the Patrol changed was Beretta was no longer making Cougars. Recently, Beretta struck a deal with Stoeger in Turkey to revive the Cougar line, but so far only available in 9mm and .40. If they start offering the Cougar again in 357 Sig, I'll have to get me one of them. :mrgreen:

We're hoping here at Steyrclub that the first law-enforcement agency in the U.S. will adopt Steyr and then others will begin to take a serious look at that "other" pistol manufacturer from Austria.

Welcome to the club of the best-kept secret in pistols.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Netfotoj said:
Welcome to the club Mr. Gadget! Always happy to welcome one of the men in uniform to any gathering.

What's the duty weapon for the state troopers in Florida? Is it Beretta, like your knife? If so, what model?

The Highway Patrol here in North Carolina recently changed weapons from Beretta Cougar 357 Sig to Sig Sauer and kept the same caliber. I tried mightily to buy one of the Cougars from local patrolmen, but every one I knew was keeping his pistol, which the patrol allowed them to buy for $250 each.

The troopers did not want to give up their Cougars and the only reason the Patrol changed was Beretta was no longer making Cougars. Recently, Beretta struck a deal with Stoeger in Turkey to revive the Cougar line, but so far only available in 9mm and .40. If they start offering the Cougar again in 357 Sig, I'll have to get me one of them. :mrgreen:

We're hoping here at Steyrclub that the first law-enforcement agency in the U.S. will adopt Steyr and then others will begin to take a serious look at that "other" pistol manufacturer from Austria.

Welcome to the club of the best-kept secret in pistols.
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Before you heap too much praise on me I have to confess I'm a lowly Auxiliary Trooper, I work with FHP as a volunteer, but love it nonetheless. Our duty weapon is a Beretta 96G, but we can carry whatever we choose as a backup by qualifying and having it inspected by the armorer. Looking for an S40-A1 for that ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
New Member

Hi MISTERgadget

Netfotoj said:
Welcome to the club Mr. Gadget! Always happy to welcome one of the men in uniform to any gathering.
+1

We're a diverse group here, including several LEOs, so you've come to the right place. From my travels around the different discussion boards on the internet, this one is by far the best. Intelligent discussion of just about any Steyr topic you can think of, no flame wars and more information than you can shake a stick at! :shock: Be SURE to read the tutorials found on the club home page. Great stuff! :!:

As a civilian, I'd like to say thanks for being willing to put it all on the line, so we can sleep easy at night. That goes for all who wear the badge!

So again I say welcome, and don't be shy about sharing your thoughts, or about asking for help. Glad to gave you in the group!

Dag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Volunteer

Hi MISTERgadget

I just noticed the line about being a volunteer. So what exactly does an Auxiliary Trooper do? I spent a few years volunteering with a Southern Calif police agency. Non-sworn. We did support tasks only, like prisoner booking, traffic control, trusty visitations and a non-enforcement city patrol. Good stuff, giving something back to the city. So, as you're spending time with the Troopers, don't be shy about how good Steyr pistols are! :twisted:

I've also got an M40-A1, and now that I've got some ejection problems fixed, it's my #1 go-to gun. I think you'll be happy with your new Steyr. BTW, I just ordered a case of Federal HST, to help keep it well fed! :D

Enjoy!

Dag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Volunteer

Dag said:
Hi MISTERgadget

I just noticed the line about being a volunteer. So what exactly does an Auxiliary Trooper do? I spent a few years volunteering with a Southern Calif police agency. Non-sworn. We did support tasks only, like prisoner booking, traffic control, trusty visitations and a non-enforcement city patrol. Good stuff, giving something back to the city. So, as you're spending time with the Troopers, don't be shy about how good Steyr pistols are! :twisted:

Dag
Dag,

FHP Auxiliary members are sworn LEO and are authorized to bear arms and make arrests, but only while under the supervision or direction of full-time troopers. Mostly, Aux. Troopers ride along with Troopers, giving them a 2nd man right there, as normally state troopers work alone. Our application process includes a background check, FBI fingerprint check, polygraph, physical, and all the usual you would expect, with the exception of a psychological evaluation. We have to take and pass the same courses and tests as any other full-time LEO's in Florida for the areas considered high-liability, which are first responder, firearms, defensive tactics, and driving. Along with that, we also have to complete a classroom curriculum to be certified as auxiliary officers in florida, which is a condensed version of what police academies in the state teach. Another area where we contribute is when special enforcement is needed, such as DUI checkpoints, and at least in my troop, for educational and public information events and demonstrations. I'll post up an example of one, I'm Matias Perez, in the dunk tank there ;)

http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/PhotoGallery/PG060107.htm

It's alot of fun and definitely something I encourage everyone who is interested to get involved in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
FHP Auxiliary

Hi MISTERgadget

The FHP Auxiliary sounds pretty close to what California defines as Reserves. Slight differences, though. California Reserve Officers are fully sworn, armed, with full powers of arrest and can work alone, but are not typically sent on higher risk calls. They work part time, usually evenings and week-ends. Similar. Kudos for doing something for your state and community! So, did the U of F students dunk you? :twisted:

Have a great one!

Dag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
You've taken the first steps into a Larger World. :wink:

My first purchase of a Steyr was back in 2004 with the M40 and I seriously can't even think of using another handgun since being spoiled by my Steyrs. The thing is just a tack driver supreme and I have found my Steyr M40 and new M40A1 to be highly reliable when fed decent ammo (ie no range reload junk bulk ammo or wolf).

Steyr has the best customer service in the biz and we've got some very experienced Steyr owners on here so you're in good hands.

Welcome and I hope to see you post often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Netfotoj said:
... I tried mightily to buy one of the Cougars from local patrolmen, but every one I knew was keeping his pistol, which the patrol allowed them to buy for $250 each.

The troopers did not want to give up their Cougars and the only reason the Patrol changed was Beretta was no longer making Cougars. Recently, Beretta struck a deal with Stoeger in Turkey to revive the Cougar line, but so far only available in 9mm and .40. If they start offering the Cougar again in 357 Sig, I'll have to get me one of them. ...
I bought a Stoeger Cougar in 9mm last year for $350 new and turned around and sold it to a friend within the month with the plan of buying another one in .40. Unfortunately, they were no longer available, so I bought a Steyr. Some day I will buy another Cougar, hopefully a Beretta Inox. One of the sales people at the store I bought it from said he has a Cougar 8357 and loves it, says its a tack driver. ... Sigh.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
posterboy7 said:
I bought a Stoeger Cougar in 9mm last year for $350 new and turned around and sold it to a friend within the month with the plan of buying another one in .40. Unfortunately, they were no longer available, so I bought a Steyr. Some day I will buy another Cougar, hopefully a Beretta Inox. One of the sales people at the store I bought it from said he has a Cougar 8357 and loves it, says its a tack driver. ... Sigh.
I don't know if they've sold out, but CDNN had Stoeger Cougars for $299 each in the last catalog I got. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Thanks Net'

I can't justify a new gun purchase to my woman. Espeically a new hand gun. And since I have to wait, I think I will hold out for a Beretta Cougar 8040 Inox. Someone was trying to sell a NIB Cougar 8000 Inox and an NIB 8040 Inox with extra mags on GB a month or so ago. He was asking way to much for them and didn't sell either in two consecutive listings each.

I hope someday when I have the money another opportunity will arise.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top