New Member from Vancouver Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by deighton1974, Jan 21, 2013.

1. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Hi

I am new to the Steyr pistols. I am just wondering if any one can help me?. I have had a M9 A1 for about 2 months now and the only ammo it seems to like is American Eagle all other brands I use give me multiple FTE. Is this normal it's had about 1000 rounds run through it. Love the gun the way it fits my hand and how accurate it is, but this is becoming an issue, owned 2 other pistols and they ate anything I put through them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. jhb

jhb Member

Welcome to the club.

No, not normal with a round count that high and still have lots of fte's. Does your m9 have the newest ejector?

When you say multiple failures, what does that mean? 1 in 10 or 1 in 20, or.....?

Is the american eagle 124 gr or 147, and the other brands that fail 115gr? Basically anything obvious that stands out?

Very frustrating having one brand work and others not. I see often people say theirgun doesn't like x brand ammo and I want my pistols to shoot any brand if its within cip or sami spec. The good news is worst case scenario steyr should be able to fix it if you hit a dead end.

3. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Hi
    Thanks for getting back to me. I shot 115gr with A&E and try to shoot the same with other brands, but have tried all grains with the same issues, not sure of the year of manufacture, it doesn't have the loaded chamber indicator or manual safety. As to your other question it can be as high as 2 or 3 every ten rounds other times I can go through a box before any problems, went out today all I could pick up was cheap norinco stuff and every other round 5 out of 10 were FTE's, guy shooting next to me ran some through his glock apart from one bad primmer no problems.
    Thanks

4. jhb

jhb Member

Understood.

You can use the thread on this site to determine the year of production, for your gun. Then cross ref with the threads on newest ejectors......believe there is some pics of the extractors.......but its been awhile since I looked and my memory was never very good. Should help you eliminate at least one potential problem.

Interesting on the norinco ammo. Never gotten to get any of that yet. If the glock digested it fine I doubt its ammo. Not what anyone wants to hear, but id send it back to whoever is the steyr dist. in canada. Course that's what I would do, cause I like to tinker, but not too much. Hang around awhile, bunch of smart fellows here on the forum, curious to see their input on your problem might be. Forum moves slow sometimes, but its always worth the wait.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

5. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Thanks
    You've been a great help and given me a starting point to look at the extractor issue, to answer your question April 2008 was when it was manufactured.

Thank you

6. dasher635

dasher635 New Member

7. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Hi
    Thanks for your input' which 1911 spring do I need, contacted a local gun store and they didn't know. Thanks for all the help.

8. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

You need the spring which is housed on the outside of the grip, between the slide stop and the safety. One spring does double duty on the 1911. It fits perfectly inside the extractor plunger spring of the Steyr after you trim about 3/16" off (4.71 mm). It will be a challenge to re-insert the extractor following the mod, but if you use a plastic bag - cleaner bag maybe - and think positive thoughts you'll do it. After you've done it a couple of times it's easy, but most people don't want that much practice. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to give this a try and hope this Fix's my problems. Again thank you for all the help I have received from the community this is the reason why I love shooting.

10. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Hi
    Got the spring cut it to length removed my extractor, found a how to with pictures on this site, the only problem is my extractor is not flat on the end it is round so when trying to fit it back in it rides up on the extractor itself so no way of getting it in with the new spring, it was a struggle to get it back in with the original spring so I guess im of to the gun smith.Thanks

11. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

The rounded plunger is the one to have. You need a narrow bladed screwdriver, press the plunger in by pivoting the blade of the screw driver, then with your third hand... it's not really that hard, but sometimes seems like it. When you get the plunger in, slip the extractor into the space and push on it until it sort of snaps into place. You can do it, really.

12. dasher635

dasher635 New Member

I added the 1911 spring to both my M9 and S9. I didn't think I could get the extractor back in either. Use a plastic bag and I used a small wooden dowel. And lots of positive thoughts to keep the cursing to a minimum! Good luck, Tim.

13. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Hi
    New issue has come up, the slide from time to time will not lock back after the final round has been fired, has any one else had this occur> I have noticed that my magazines when loaded and empty there is about 1/8" of play, movement between the mag well and the base plate of the mag up and down inside the grip, is this normal? any help would be great as this is now becoming a headache and I feel it is close to me cutting my loses.
    Thanks

14. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Hi
    Haven't got the extractor issue fixed can't get it to a gun smith yet, but went out to shoot it running the 115gr ammo, another issue has arisen, the slide from time to time has stopped locking back on the last round fired, has any one else come across this? I have also noticed that my magazines have about 1/8" of play in them, I can move them up and down inside the grip loaded and unloaded is this normal? could this be part of the problem?
    Thanks

15. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

That is definitely a part of the problem. The slide holdback is driven by the corner of the follower in the magazine. With that much play it doesn't always come up high enough to push the slidelock up.

16. dasher635

dasher635 New Member

deighton1974,
    The 2nd link I sent you showed the different followers used in mags and how to correct. Don't give up yet. Since I took care of extractor and mag issues, my S9 and M9 are 100% reliable. Since then I sold my two Sig P226s, a Sig P239 and a Sig P232. Love my Steyrs.

17. deighton1974

deighton1974 New Member

Hi
    Just got back from the range after installing the spring, it works ran flawless tried all the different grains of ammo not one failure to eject in 200 rounds.Thanks all again for the help.