Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have looked through the form and couldn't find any info, I just added a S40-A1 to my family. the first thing that I noticed was the Mag release is so hard I have to rotate the gun in my hand to get it in a position to create enough presser to release it. is there anyway to lighten the spring for easier release? was also looking into polishing the Ramp, should it be done ? and the Mag is very tight when installing or removing the Mag. also looking for any tips that would help. I haven't run any rounds through it yet so i'm looking for any info on what the best ammo to use, i was told i needed to run Plus-P. my apologizes in advance if I stepped out of form with this post.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Keith,
Welcome, there are bunch of great people here that REALLY know their stuff.
As far as +P rounds, I think that's unnecessary, right now it's hard to come by and expensive. Regular plinking rounds will work just fine for break-in. (Load those mags up now and let em sit fully loaded for a few days-week before use)
Also, make sure to field strip, inspect, clean and oil it before use-make sure to pay special attention to Steyr's recommended oiling points (use good oil)
As far as polishing the feed ramp, that's SOP for me, personally. But not mandatory, esp if all you're ever gonna put thru it is flat nose rounds, but if you plan on running HP's I'd recommend it, but again, it's not a "must" I've owned many, many pistols without a polished feed ramp that operated great with out it, but I've also owned some that refused to operate w/HP's and then I polished the feed ramp, so it's up to you, test her out then make a decision, it's up to you.
On the mag release, just break her in. Use it, put some lead down range and with some use and break-in, it'll lighten up, a bit, and the mags will get a lil better with multiple inserts/ejects, but I can tell you the mag release is never going to be light (which is a good thing IMO no accidental ejects) my M9-A1 still has a "stiff" mag release but again, that's a good thing to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the input!, first thing I did was strip it down, clean & re-oiled "CLP". great suggestion to load the mags and is now done. it will be a few weeks before I put a few hundred rounds through it to break it in. for plinking I use Federal or winchester 180 grain FMJ's but when I carry I will only use Hornady Critical Defense loads. I have always polished the ramps on all my pistols but wasn't sure if Steyr use and special coating on the barrels and ramps like some of the BCG on my AR's "nickel boron".

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya Keith* :)

Welcome ta The Club, Bro. :thumbsup:

When I do a 1st time cleanin', even before I take 'er for the break-in, I field strip 'er an' spray Simple Green on all the parts, soakin' 'em good. Then I just let 'em sit in warm water for a bit before air-hosin' 'em dry. A coat of CLP then air-hose 'em back off an' work the slide and mag release w/ mags in 'em.

The result is that the mag release gets a bit easier and the slide action gets smoother.

Just a thought. <shrug>

Take care, Bro. :)

Wulf <-- goes thru a lotta Simple Green an' CLP

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey Keith,
I have the same gun and I love it! More accurate than anything else I own! It breaks in with time, and now that I have almost 400 rounds through it it runs smooth. The mag release is still tight, but as EarlyBronco said that's probably a good thing. Enjoy shooting!

·
Registered
200 Posts
All I can say is watch out for Remington UMC green box. I have had problems with it in .40 and .223 failure to extract etc. Never had any problems with any other ammo. UMMV but I have heard of a couple other of our steyr bros having issue with the umc also. That's my two cents thought you would like the heads up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another suggestion:
With empty magazine, rack the gun a few times.
Sometimes, it jams initially but it should ease up.
Do it a few times after that and that should be good.

Load the bullet in the magazine and leave it in there till you are ready to shoot.
Some people leave the slide open for a few days to exercise the spring also.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Actually, when I first joined the SteyrClub, the prevailing notion was to dry fire the weapon about 600 times before heading for the range. Believe it or not, that is easily done in less than a day if you have the uninterrupted time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome.

Agree on above, +p seems overkill, for regular shooting. My c9 shoots everything brand I've put through it. Guess every gun is different on what works and what doesn't.

My mag release is stiff as well,but I'm a lefty shooter so I use my trigger finger and it takes a hard push and a grip adjustment....so far hasn't eased up on pressure needed, but it may in time? I find it nice though being firm as my grip lays on it a bit and I find I can drop the mags on some pistols...course not a problem for a righty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts