New Member from MN

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by mndad, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mndad

mndad Guest

Howdy all - I am a brand new member of this group and would like to say hi.

Also have a question for those who carry daily - I currently carry a Gov't 1911 5" in a Milt Sparks holster (Yes its a fine piece of leather) and I am very interested in changing that up and carrying a Steyr but I am confused about the MA-1 and SA-1 The specs show them to be very close in size (.30 in barrel length and .5 something in height) Given that no dealer has one here I am looking for advise on which to carry - I know they are both the same width which in my estimation is the main factor for any carry gun but I would like your advice.
    Regards,
    MN Dad

2. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

Welcome to SteyrClub mndad!!!

I don't carry daily... so I don't have a knowledgeable reply to provide you, but I know that a few members here within the forum do, so they'll be along shortly I'm sure to answer your questions on that topic.

Again, a warm welcome!

~Gary

3. Hilborne

Hilborne New Member

I'm in the West Suburb area of Mpls and if your somewhere close to Mpls perhaps we can get together, and you can try my M40A1. It will be lighter than your 1911 and when I carry mine I don't know it's there. As for the S model, they are rare and I have never run into one. From a carry stand point, it probably isn't a big deal. Send me a PM.

Andy

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome aboard. Just how cold is it up there on the frozen plains? How many below zero?

Down here in the sunny South, winter seems to be already gone and I am quite glad of that.

The only difference in the S and M series pistols is a shorter grip and shorter slide by 1/2". Holsters for Steyr pistols will fit either, but there is a difference in holster fit for MA1/SA1 series vs. M/S series. If you should run across an S or SA1 pistol, buy it. They're very scarce. If you want an MA1 in .40 S&W or 9mm, get 'em while you can for $339 from CDNN in Texas. When those are gone, the next shipment from Steyr will be in the $500-600 range. :shock:

5. mndad

mndad Guest

OK well called CDNN this morning for a M40-A1 and its on its way!
    Didn't know how long CDNN would have them in stock and at this price - If anyone wants the little laser thingy contact me - not my style

6. Hilborne

Hilborne New Member

So I guess you don't need to try out my M40. I got an email from CDNN this morning for a special on Hi Cap mags. The Steyr 40 mags are at $19.99 each. If your weren't aware of it or didn't order any extras, this is a good price.
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/specials.html

So when the weather warms up I give you a call, maybe we can get together and shoot up at the family outdoor range.

Netfotoj it was -6 F this morning. Warmer than the 15 below we had.

Andy

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Welcome Mndad,

burrrrrrrrr..........that's about the reason I left.......that and the thirty days of no sun........ :shifty:

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Had a friend from Minnesota. He used to say they had 10 1/2 months of winter and six weeks of bad sledding. :mrgreen:

9. mndad

mndad Guest

Well I am sure this will shock our seasonless brothers to the south but... I grew up in Southern California - They call it sunny California because they have sharp marketing people there. I grew up 400 yards, yes yards, from the Beach in San Clemente (Western White house country) - and the only way to tell the seasons is by the tint of overcast grey. There is one great and sunny day (Rose Parade-always!) - and One day thats always as crappy and overcast as can be (4th of July). We cut the lawn every month and landscaping consisted of cutting things back not things sprouting and coming to life. I moved here 4 years ago and was very concerned about the weather because of what so many of my neighbors would say and oh there mosquito stories would really get ya thinking about leaving and fast. But then we noticed the what the story really was - the locals love to complain about the weather and the bugs and everything - BUT ITS GREAT! The humidity would seem like a dry day anywhere south of St Louis and the cold days feel like 60 in Orlando (Was there in January and froze my but off - was -12 at home and was fine in my polarfleece and no gloves but in FL I was bone cold)

We do get 4 seasons and winter is one of them but its nothing like what the folks will tell ya - Our weather people are the worst any cold day they tell ya the temp with wind chill, any hot day gets heat index with humidity, its almost like they cant stand how mild it is on both sides of the thermometer. Now I did goto school in Bozeman MT and for two weeks in December and January man thats real winter!

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

but you forgot to tell us Mndad, HOW you got THERE........... :think:

11. mndad

mndad Guest

Well I traveled 26-28 weeks per year for 6 years as a DOD contractor working on software and systems all over for the Air Force - Been to Clear Alaska and Eglin AFB in Fla, Hickam AFB in HI to Loring AFB in Maine and after all that I found that I liked a city with the country side close - and a clean city, and I liked the seasons and needed to be near water (Lakes, Rivers, Streams, Ponds, Ocean) So the wife and I decided to look at Seattle WA and Minneapolis MN - This is after we actually lived in San Louis Obispo CA, Colorado Springs, CO, Bozeman MT, and Rancho Santa Margarita CA. Well we had always visited Seattle in August or September (although I had been to McChord AFB in Tacoma in January) - Well we visited in May and never dried out - Plus our political viewpoint is not popular in the California of the Northwest so We visited Minneapolis in February and loved it. Moved after our California house had doubled in value and ran off with the spoils (House made more every year than I did working-Thats a ride thats well over for a lot of CA folks for sure). We moved here to one of the top school districts in the country (#89 by US Report, and top sports High School (#25 by Sports Illustrated) and I can take the boat from the garage and be on the lake in under 10 minutes (3 miles away) Work is less than 1.5 miles from the house so no more 200,000 mile cars or daily fill ups with gas - So we get the best of the "Big City" and we have great schools and neighbors and there are things to do here every season and with two boys we do most of them just to keep us sane.

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

sometimes i wish I still lived there........... :think:

13. Hilborne

Hilborne New Member

I've been up here since 1969 and have never wanted to move. The coldest I have seen here in Plymouth was -42 F, the offical I think was -36. I got stuck up in Winnepeg on a business trip in January for three days after a storm closed the roads. Three days at minus 42. That's where Celsius and Fahrenheit meet.
    It wasn't fun but I'm still here.

Have a look at what people up here think of Global Warming
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUFTm6cJXM&NR=1

Andy

14. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Yea, the people are great, and the golf was fun................ :clap:

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Great song about global warming in Minnesota. Those guys can really harmonize, they oughta take that show on the road, the Simon and Garfunkel of Minnesota!

I liked this one, too: "Manhattan in January" by Jill Sobule. And who was that tubby guy in the audience? The Goracle!