Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, folks. I guess I joined this forum awhile back when doing research on Steyrs. Since then, I've been looking for a used one (because I'm cheap) with no luck -- until today!

I fell in love with the gun a couple years ago when I picked up one at a pawn shop and looked down the sights. I was hooked, and kicked myself for about two years for not buying it. My dad was a gunsmith, so I know a good one when I see it.

Today,my husband and I found an M9 at the local gun store and snagged it for $300. It definitely has a little wear where it's supposed to, and the polymer looks a little old, but everything seemed to move smoothly, it was relatively clean, and it came with the original box and paperwork. The guy there said it was a Clinton-era model because it came with two 10-round mags.

In MD, we have about a three week wait while the law does what it does. (We just moved here from down South and it's been a culture shock.) Meanwhile, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to the old pistol when I get it to make it look a little better and, of course, shoot a little better. I see that the trigger pull was improved after this model was discontinued.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome to the club. Nice find....wait.......They let you own guns in maryland????:) kidding.

Do allot of shooting and that trigger will smooth out real nice.;) there is some tinkering info on the site. Search engine wil find it faster than me using this not so smart phone.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Download the tutorials, clean the weapon well, polish the trigger bar, and I would recommend you purchase the Big Taco Delrin striker spring cups, and the SS guide rod. All of that makes for a really nice trigger. Since your Dad was a gunsmith, I'm guessing a little of that rubbed off, and you'll have no problem with the suggestions. If you want to improve the extraction, shorten a 1911 safety/stop spring about 3/16" and install it inside the extractor plunger spring. This will make the gun really throw the brass out and away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is all great information. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'll check out the videos and research the other information. This will give me something to do while I wait.

I never got too hands-on with the gunsmithing, but I know my parts and am comfortable with what you suggested.

Thanks again and I look forward to reading more.

(Oh, jhb, Maryland is getting mighty close to some bad decisions. You're not far off the mark.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I FINALLY got the call from the gun shop and have gun-in-hand! I filled out the paperwork on January 21, picked it up today, March 2. Maryland just can't keep up with everyone buying firearms right now. But, I'm happy! Took the pistol apart tonight and cleaned it, even though it was already very clean.
According to the Date Code Chart on Wikipedia, mine was made in January 2000 (Code E00). Low serial number, so I'm guessing it was one of the first imported to the U.S., but could be wrong.
My question now is, do they make larger capacity mags for this machine? Mine came with two 10-rounders. I believe MD allows up to 15 right now, but they are working on legislation to drop it down to 10.
Thanks for all the good info! I will report back as soon as we have a chance to get to the range.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
There are 12 round mags available for the .40, and 17 round mags available for the 9mm. I think they are all compatible, but I'm sure if they're not, someone, probably Babj will correct me.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya *Bean* gal :)

...an' welcome ta The Club!

There are 15-rd and 17-rd maga available. I'm guessin' that a 15-rd hole count will do ya, if 17-rds aren't legal. Either way, ya still have 15 rounds available. <shrug>

Take care, Sis.

Wulf <--diggs havin' Steyrclub gals in The Club :thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I JUST got an M40 -to go with my GB- and it too has a pair of 10 round mags which I would like to,swap out. My spare mag was still sealed in plastic. The Glock 23 has...14? So I am interested in mag parity, since I will prob swap out the Glock for the Steyr as my EDC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts