New Member and a question

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Greg F., Aug 18, 2007.

1. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

Hi guys, I just ordered my first Steyr M40-A1 on Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to trying it, I've heard so many good things about Steyr. Most people seem to think they're even better than Glock. I keep reading about SAI in Georgia being the importer and of their great service. The gun that I saw at the gun store had SMI USA West Point, MS on the side of the frame instead of SAI. Is Steyr using a different importer now? How does SMI compare to SAI for service? Is there anyplace to buy Steyr accessories like tee shirts, hats, keychains, or coffee mugs? I emailed Steyr but they said they don't sell that stuff. Thanks.

2. Dag

Dag Guest

SMI USA

Hi Greg

I tried Google, and found a listing for "SMI USA STEYR MANNLICHER USA INC" as a licensed FFL dealer. Could SMI stand for Steyr Mannlicher, Inc? maybe some of our more knowledgeable Steyroids can help. My frame is stamped "SAI CUMMING GA".

Whatever the answer, welcome! Lots of good stuff here. Enjoy!

Dag

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

SMI was the old old importer. don't worry about them SAI is where it's at now.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Yet another importer: "GZS Baldwin, IL." on the side of my M9.
    No problem.

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Greg :)

My M357-A1 is an SMI import, as well. Slide says M357 but no -A1 anywhere on it. But, for sure, its an -A1, easily recognized by the slide w/ the Picatinny rail and the -A1 grip frame. <shrug> SAI is the current importer and they service any Steyr product. They rock, Dude! Best service center of any firearms importer in the history of the world, IMHO. They'll take care of ya NQA. <shrug> Welcome to The Club. :)

Wulf

6. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

Hi Guys, Thanks for the welcome. If I had a problem with my gun, would SAI service it even if they're not the importer who's name is on the frame? Would they charge me for service if it's not they're gun? My gun will come in on Wednesday, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be stamped SAI instead of SMI.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It doesn't matter what is stamped on the frame - SAI is the sole place to go for all things Steyr here in the states. You will get the same service regardless of who imported your pistol and as others have said, SAI is very "don't ask don't tell, we'll take care of you 100%" when it comes to their products. 8)

For the record, I have one that came in through SMI as well (bought through Davidson's) and SAI is a joy to work with.

8. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

Thanks Syntax360, I won't worry about it any more.