New M9A1 picked up...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by steveinaz, Sep 15, 2007.

1. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Picked up my M9A1, serial # 047826, "GOM" frame markings (July 2005).

I noticed right away that the preservative is very sticky, and definitely should be cleaned off before firing for the first time. Everything was sealed in plastic. The magazines were especially sticky. Listen to the advice here and clean the pistol well before shooting. The extractor also seems very stiff, but I'll have to wait for a range trip to see if it's going to cause any problems. I disassembled the slide, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary so I just cleaned everything and reassembled.

The trigger is quite stiff--as compared to my last 3 Steyr's. It did improve with the initial cleaning, but still feels quite a bit heavier than previous M9's & M40's I've owned. It's almost as though Steyr has gone back to a heavier trigger? Again, I'll push some rounds thru it next weekend and see if it lightens up a bit. "Seat of the pants" measurement seems to be around 7-8lbs of pull required.

Interesting note: the frame import mark is "SMI." Otherwise the gun looks and feels great. This is my first "A1" model, I like it--sans the heavy trigger. Fit & finish is excellent, the slide is extremely smooth on the rails with no play. reminds me of a Beretta M9 with it's glass-smooth slide action.

Range report and pics coming soon...

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Sounds great I can't wait for mine. The sticky is it the dreaded Cosmoline??? Gotta love that stuff :lol:

3. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

I don't think it's cosmoline, but I can see how it could definitely cause problems if not removed.

4. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

Out of curiousity, why "censor" the serial number in your post, then put up a pic showing the complete #?

5. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Fixed..all better?

6. Rick

Rick New Member

I own a "close relative" of yours - #47817 DOB 7/05. Oh yeah, and I love the gun more each time I go to the range

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Wonder if this goo/cosmoline thing is relatively new?
    Bought a 2/2002 M9 and neither it nor the mag had anything goo on them, and it has shot flawlessly from round one with only a barrel cleaning.

8. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

I think so. I never noticed it with my earlier Steyr's. What ever it is, it is very sticky. Had to wipe my mags down 3 times with Rem-oil to get all the residue off. I took out my trigger group last night and cleaned it up; then went over the upper parts again. The trigger creep/notchiness is gone, but the pull is still very heavy.

9. AllenTC2

AllenTC2 New Member

Well yeah, I wasn't trying to be smart assed. I was just curious. I've noticed that a lot on various gun forums.....deleting the last few numbers or blurring it out in pics. What is the purpose? Is there some legit security concern having your firearm's ser. # out there?

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It is rumored that some anti-gunners have reported guns stolen based on serial #s they grabbed off gun boards, but I wonder if there is really any truth to that. For others, it's just a matter of staying as anonymous as possible. God knows there is already mountains of info on every one of us out there - no need to add more to the pile.

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I doubt it....

To report a gun stolen, they would have to be able to show ownership..... and grabbing a SN off the web isnt gonna get that done....

I call BS

8) 8)

12. AZRonin

AZRonin Guest

Me Steve and Rick all have the same lot of guns from 07/05 sweet

13. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

I don't know what the paranoia is all about on gun boards, I never blank out my serial numbers. I just put "xx" above because the digits were insignificant.

14. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

When I got my M357-A1, it had that sticky stuff on the mags as well. The gun itself wasn't too sticky, but I had to learn really quick about how to take the thing apart and clean really good.

15. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Not everybody keeps their reciepts, if someone tells a cop that they had a colt 1911, sn:XXXXXXX, that's more than enough for the police to list it as stolen. Not enough to prosecute the actual gun owner though.

When I had a .38 stolen, I rattled the sn off to the cop off of the top of my head, along with the make and model. Never saw it again though. :evil: