New M9A1 Owner - Thoughts so far and a few grins...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by buckhammer, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. buckhammer

buckhammer New Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm a new Steyr owner and new to the club. I just purchased an M9A1 in OD green and wanted to post my experience with it so far. I'm an 01 dealer and run a small one man gunsmith shop in my spare time just for fun...and occasional aggravation! I have no experience with Steyr with the exception of some almost century old Steyr M95s rifles in my collection. I agree that product support seems very lacking which is unfortunate as, so far, this appears to be an excellent design. It's slightly more complex than a Glock but I believe it is superior from both an engineering and manufacturing standpoint. From what I've researched it appears the earlier reliability issues have been worked out with this 4th generation. I got my pistol only because I transferred one for a customer recently and really liked it. Anyway, here's my take on the M9A1. I love it so far. I'm a southpaw so I swapped the magazine release to the right side right out of the box. No mention of this capability in the manual or guidance on how to change it over. So I just jumped in and swapped it; which was very straightforward. One observation I've made is that several gun reviewers have stated the slide will not close on an empty mag without removing the mag and they were unsure if this was a design feature, flaw, or break-in issue. I believe this is a design feature (one I don't like) based on the amount of interface between the breech face and the mag follower. The left-only slide release is the only other down-side so far but it is easily to actuate. This is more of a nuisance than anything else since I don't use the slide release except for administrative handling. Reliability is 100% so far and fortunately I haven't had any recent multi-mag shootouts with any "gangstas"; although I've noticed a group of very suspicious tin cans and milk jugs squatting inside my storage shed. The trigger is great out of the box and is almost as good as the trigger on my tricked G34 and about equal to my Sig P320 (post recall). I don't shoot competition because I don't have time (and I'm not that good) but I do shoot my and customer guns regularly at our farm. I like to build competition level guns for my own collection and shooting fun. The trigger broke right at 5 lbs out of the box with a quiet but tactile reset. I ran about 100 rounds of LAX 124g ammo through it first time out and the only complaint is the erratic ejection pattern and occasional brass in the face. I read this will improve with a few hundred rounds break in. If it doesn't , I'll address the extractor and/or ejector. Back at the shop I cleaned but did not oil the gun. I plan to run it dry for the first few hundred rounds to accelerate the break in. Next, I polished the front and bottom face of the striker lug where it interfaces with the sear (or the catch, as the manual calls it) and I polished the front and rear catch faces on top of the sear. Now the trigger breaks even cleaner at about 4 1/2 lbs. I like the pistol so much I ordered some upgrades (not received yet) from BT Guide Rods. I ordered his glide rite striker bushing set, one piece captured guide rod, and the Mx-A1 grip plug. I also ordered a LH Vedder ProDraw Paddle OWB holster in OD green carbon fiber. Now for the sights...the traps are fast and I anticipate are also precise. I favored a little high at 10 yards putting all but just a few rounds on the 8 inch gong as fast as I could re-acquire. I agree this gun shoots extremely flat and is very fast back on target even though I'm still learning my grip with it. It's not as flat as my G34 with its comp, but flatter than any other centerfire pistol I've shot. I'll replace the sights with the TruGlow TFX Tritium sights (on order and on sale at Brownells for $87) not because I dislike the traps, but more for consistency with my other traditional 3 dots...guess I've got old dog syndrome. If this is your first or only handgun then the traps are a good system to learn. I'm planning to stipple it and will update again after some upgrades and more shooting. I may even look at some railed accessories like lights, bayonets, a coffee pot, a railed chainsaw (so it'll match my AR), or perhaps a new railed ATV winch ;). More to come...

SurfGent, Walrus, silentheart and 2 others like this.
  2. Groundhog34

Groundhog34 New Member

Two suggestions try big dot sights they are really good for a self defense gun and IMO Talon rubber grips are a must. I have a S40 and S9 they along with a HK9sk are my favorite double stack pistols.

SurfGent likes this.

3. silentheart

silentheart Active Member

To buckhammer,
    Welcome to Steyr family. You hit all the mods for trigger and the bt guide rod. My suggestion will be take out the trigger group and clean it with oil and wipe clean. Also the slide and rail oil and wipe off. I think your erratic ejection will be gone after that.
    Then you prob want to sell all your glock and get a for real carry.

SurfGent and Rotorflyr like this.
  4. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Sounds good to me. I'm happy with both the trigger and the sights on my M9. Not crazy about the grip angle but great overall.

SurfGent likes this.
  5. SurfGent

SurfGent Well-Known Member

6. SurfGent

If your into build quality, check out a gen 1 if you ever come across one. Especially if it's for sale

7. Walrus

Walrus Member

I may be selling my M9 gen 1 in the next couple of weeks... I'm still pondering it... lol

SurfGent likes this.
  8. SurfGent

Plus im a believer that this platform is suited better for the 40 s&w caliber, thats what it was designed to shoot