New M9-A1 Range Report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by mrboma, Jul 16, 2007.

1. mrboma

mrboma Member

After all the crap I went through trying to aquire the S9 (not legal in Cal) I did decide to head back to the local range and put an offer on the slightly used M9 they had on consignment. Box, Manual, (1) Mag and lock for $400.00. I offered they guy $375.00 and he took it. Paperwork went through and I picked it up on Sunday the 8th. (Blew my back out shortly after, hence the late report.)

Took a few friends and the wife to the indoor range, grabbed the M9 and a box of ammo and headed in. Got the wife setup with the .357mag and my buddy with his XD45. Left my Colt 1911 in the range bag and loaded the Steyr. Decided I would give the gun a fair shot at the new home defense weapon and shot 5 mags (10 each) into an Orage Peel at 21 feet. I shot the rounds fairly fast (1 round a second, the range does not allow rapid fire) and was SO IMPRESSED. I have held the M9 many times but never fired one. Here is the first 50 rounds out of my new gem.
    [​IMG][/url]

I am very happy with my gift, yes - the wife bought it for me. The pistol has some of the best ergonomics I have ever felt in a handgun. Sights are fantastic, recoil was a lot less than expected, and the damn thing shot very strait having a first timer behind it.

My wife even put a few rounds down range with the M9 and feel in love also. She shot as well with the M9 as she does with her .357mag, which has been her baby for almost 6 years now.

Thanks to all of the Steyriods that helped with the desicion and gave me the information I needed. I picked up a few more mags from a fellow member that should arrive today (thanks again Hibachi).

Being my first polymer grip pistol and having Houges on ALL my pistols I am really in the market for the wrap around grip I see on some of the members rigs. Can someone shoot me a link to where I can snatch one up?

Thanks again,

Mike

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The Hogue Handall grip is what most of us are using. I got mine from Midway, http://www.midwayusa.com, but they're so common your local gun store probably has it in stock.

But that Handall may not be the best choice for a M9 like it is for the MA1 models. I compared Big Taco's M9 and S9 last weekend to the grip on my MA1 and we both agreed the grip is a bit slimmer on the old models vs. the new.

Perhaps the Hogue Tool grip would fit better on the M9. Syntax 360 is the house expert on how to get those. PM him and perhaps he can fix you up.

Maybe some of you other old-model M owners can chime in on the Handall grip vs. the Tool grip. I'm just guessing. :mrgreen:

BTW, fine shooting. It's going to be love at first shot with your M9. And the love affair will just keep getting better.

3. mrboma

mrboma Member

Thanks John.
    I went ahead and picked up the Hogue Handall Universal Grip Sleeve from Midway. A few searches of the forum and it was an easy find. Thanks again for your help. I am looking very forward to personalizing the new Steyr. Now to stock up on mags and a nice holster. Off to that forum now.
    Mike

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

nice wife and nice shooting. welcome to the club

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Glad to hear its the cat's meow.

6. mrboma

mrboma Member

Grip Sleeve

Hogue Grip Sleeve arrived and installed yetserday. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. As expected it improves the feel of the pistol 10 fold. Best 6 bux I have ever spent! Now to just find some range time.
    Mike

7. AbsolutNeil

AbsolutNeil Guest

grip alternative

I know this may sound crazy but for all my polymer grips I am currently using a bicycle tire. One 24" tire can grip up 8 pistols... I am not cheap (i don't think), I just like the feel of this.

Before anyone asks- No, I don't have a valve stem sticking out of my grip.

I will post a pic if anyone is interested.

8. AbsolutNeil

AbsolutNeil Guest

interested...

Sorry no pics yet. I haven't found a place to post pics and link. Are there any tricks to this or do I need my own sight?

9. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

You can register at imageshack to host pictures there. Thats what I do.

10. Dag

Dag Guest

Posting Photos

Hi AbsolutNeil

I signed up for a free Yahoo email account, and get free on-line storage (for pictures, documents or a web page). They even give you free tools to manage the files. Take a look at http://geocities.yahoo.com/. Plus, you get a free email account. Buttons on the Steyr Clup posting page let you define images and web URLs. You can store an avatar image there as well. It's pretty easy.

Dag

11. AbsolutNeil

AbsolutNeil Guest

let's try

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that should be better. It doesn't look like much but it really feels good.

12. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Nice. I may have to try that :)

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've discovered, at least for my monitor size, that images should be resized to no wider than about 600 pixels to fit without blowing out the template of the site pages and requiring horizontal scrolling to see the full page.

Of course, if you have a smaller or larger monitor than my big ol' honking 21" CRT, your results may vary widely. :mrgreen:

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I typicall stay as close to 640x480 as possible - less is better in either dimension if you have to make it fit... :wink: