New M9-A1 owner, need a little clarification, please..

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Ubermensch, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Guest

After a fair bit of research, weighing reviews/features/price, I went with the Steyr. I pay off the balance this Friday, and want to hit the ground running. So I have a short list of things I'd like to confirm need done/looked into.

1) Thorough cleaning. For some reason, the tutorial links don't work for me, but I think I've got enough information from individual posts to proceed.

2) Extractor issues. I gather there was a recall? Or on an as-requested basis a new style one is available?

3) Guide rod needs replacing if plastic.

4) Check magazine feeding due to 10-round springs possibly installed.

5) Rack the slide or cycle a couple of boxes of ammo to smooth out cycling, and clean again.

6) Potential trigger issues. Again, the tutorials don't seem to be available, but a light sanding with a extremely fine grit paper will help.

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks for the help!

2. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

The tutorials are working fine. They are PDF files so make sure you have a PDF viewer such as Adobe Acrobat (it's free) to see them. You can right click on the links and save them to your computer if you have a viewer and are still having issues viewing them from the site itself.

-D

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I probably should just keep my mouth shut, but... (I never was good at doing that.)

I've bought three MA1s, first a M357-A1 in 2006, then a M40-A1 last spring and just last week, a M9-A1, and in all three cases, I looked inside, saw no gunk or anything that looked like it needed cleaning ... so I took them out of the box and went and shot them.

In the case of the M357-A1, I had about 200-300 rds. through it before I ever took the slide off for a cleaning. Had a very few FTEs in the first 100 or so, then that cleared up. Had no problems with the M40-A1 either, but decided I didn't like .40 S&W caliber, so I traded it for a S&W 9mm subcompact.

I did the same Saturday with my M9-A1, went shooting with it as is and used all four magazines I got with it new. No problems at all. My philosphy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I did have a pair of FTEs with one of the new mags I got for my M357-A1, but I was shooting it one-handed at the time, so maybe I limp-wristed it. I'll give both pistols another workout this weekend and all six new mags. If the 357 mag trouble persists, then I'll start opening up mags and counting coils. But if they work... it ain't broke...

When I got the M9-A1 home from the range, I took the slide off and greased the rails and frame with Slide Glide Lite, but there was virtually nothing to clean on the inside of it. Lubed it lightly and put it back together, ready for another range trip this weekend.

As for the extractor change, I have no idea whether I've got old or new extractors. Both are working fine and until they give trouble, I have no plans to seek a change from SAI.

As for the SS guide rod, I got one for my M357-A1 from BigTaco when I made a trip to Pittsburgh last summer and I'm sure I'll do the same with my M9-A1 when I go there this summer. But they will function just fine with the plastic guide rod from the factory for many thousands of rounds, probably for the life of the pistol. Stainless-steel guide rods are an extra, not a necessity. It does add a smidgen of weight to the front which supposedly should help with muzzle flip. Frankly, I couldn't tell any difference after mine was installed. But if you want one, by all means, get one. BT went to all the trouble to machine a batch of them in stainless steel and black anodized finish, with and without captured springs. And he's selling them so cheap he can't be making any money on the deal. Go for it.

So far I've gotten away with very little care on my MA1s and they're doing just fine. I have somewhere close to 1,000 rounds through my M357-A1 and expect many more as well as the same with the M9-A1. Contrary to what some people here have reported, my MA1 experience so far is that they are most definitely not finicky pistols. YMMV.

I have fed mine good ammo, mostly Winchester White Box and quality hollow-points and I just picked up a 500-rd. can of Canned Heat in 357 Sig from Georgia Arms, so I'm good to go. When I need 9mm, Wally World keeps plenty on hand at the best prices around.

Feed it good ammo, clean it and lube it as needed, and shoot and enjoy. :mrgreen:

4. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Guest

OK, I'll run it as it is. But I still can't access the tutorials. You click the link and it gives an error message saying "Page Not Found".

5. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Are you trying these?: https://www.steyrclub.com/index.php

I really would like to know what link you are clicking on that is giving you that message so I can fix it..

-D

6. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Guest

7. 19-Kilo

19-Kilo Guest

8. jamesdmanley

jamesdmanley New Member