New m9-a1 issues

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by B3dlam, May 1, 2013.

1. B3dlam

B3dlam New Member

Alright so I just picked up a new M9-A1 date of manufacture was March 2013 and it is an SAI import not a frakenstyer from what I can tell. I had an early s40 ages ago and loved it but sold it to pay for school I have now replaced it with this new m9-a1.

I am curious as I am having dreaded extraction issues 10 or more in the first 100 rounds. It has the new extractor with loaded chamber indicator and "9" marking. What d you guys think I don't want to waste 100s of rounds with ammo the way it is these days.

I am a little frustrated as I took my glock 34 right out of the box and shot it in an idpa match didn't even clean it and it has run without a single hitch the entire time.

The exact issue is that it will only partially extract a round waving it partially in the chamber. Even when it doesn't do this it kicks the brass straight up only a couple of inches leaving the pile of brass directly under the gun. It has done this with two different ammo types as well. What is the best fix for these guns?

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya B3* :)

What 2 dif kinds of ammo were ya shootin'?

Oh, an' Glock an' Steyr are not the same design, with the Steyr being more strict on designed tolerances. <shrug>

Believe me when I tell ya, "keep your M9-A1 clean, well lubed and feed it good ammo, preferably 124 gr NATO", cause that's what they are optimized for, according to Steyr Austria HQ.

Ya think that owners of combat semi-auto pistols are bettin' their lives on uncleaned, unlubed firearms shootin' sub-par ammo?!

Oh, and what I do, with all of my semi-auto firearms is field strip 'em an' do a very thorough cleanin' an' lubin', prior to my first trip to the range for a 5-round bbl break-in, before I go hawg wild with ammo unstockin'.

Works for me. :thumbsup:

Whatever happens, plz keep your SC Bros in the loop. :)

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- took 'is M357-A1 with 'is M9-A1 and M40-A1 conversion slides to a shootin' session yesterday an' had FTE's with both SW40 and 9MM usin' some Blazer ammo donated by shootin' buddies *sigh* No problems with Winchester White Box and 'is reloads. :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 2, 2013

3. B3dlam

B3dlam New Member

Being military I am quite anal about the guns I trust my life to. The glock I shot without cleaning because I know it would work. The steyr got a full strip and oil before my trip to the range. The first set of ammo was 124gr round nose reloads leaving the muzzle around 1080fps. I then swapped to 115gr blazer brass as I had it laying around. Ideally a firearm should function reliably with any factory ammunition or ammunition loaded to velocity/weight comparable to factory ammo.

4. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

So, is the FTE happened when you use the Reload or the Blazer?

5. B3dlam

B3dlam New Member

The failure to extract happened consistently with both ammo types.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

I agree with your ideal firearm stance. :thumbsup:

But, 9MM NATO specs = "124 grain FMJ @ 1181 fps from a 4" bbl", which is hotter than anything you've yet to try. <shrug>

I'll bet you'll have more reliability once the action has been cycled some more with NATO spec ammo, then ya can reliably shoot sub-NATO spec ammo with it, after it "loosens up" a bit.

As I said, Glocks an' Steyrs are different, the Steyrs having more strict tollerances.

And, if you're not satisfied with its ability to run reliably, my advise is to get rid of it! Ya gotta have total confidence in your semi-auto firearms and if it just isn't there for ya, what good are they?!

Take care, Bro an' plz keep us in the loop.

Wulf <-- almost advised a shootin' Bro ta get rid of his new G36 after the first 10 or 15 FTE's, but after a 100 rounds and it ironed out, it became his favorite Glock! :thumbsup:

7. PHXATC

PHXATC New Member

This happened to our C9, but after running about 200 rounds of decent ammo through it, cleaning and oiling it like a banshee, and saying a few hail Mary's (ha), it has worked flawlessly since then.

We even had to get the rangemaster out on the line once to get a screwdriver and pry open the gun (I don't know the technical term here as I'm a newbie) and get the live round out of the chamber once, during our first shoot with the gun.

8. Pier23

Pier23 New Member

I just got an M9A1 same build month...have maybe 100 rounds thru it with no issues...using range supplied PMC FMJ.

Im gonna guess your grip is not an issue here...right?

I have gotten very hard nosed about cranky firearms...they work or they get sent back. I did invest 600 rounds getting a Kahr to work...I knew they liked breakin, and after the 600 rounds of complete vexation, it started running perfectly. Not sure I would put up with that again, however.

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

One last thought, what kind of oil do you use for your "strip and oil" and how much do you apply?

I don't mean ta badger ya, Bro, promise...I just wanna understand wassup. I try to analyze what is goin' on, and if I were in your place, what would I do before sendin' it back for repair. <shrug>

And, my 1st experience with my 1st gen M357-A1 was marvelous with Winchester White Box 125 gr FPJ's from Walmart. But, after a couple hunnerd rounds, somethin' strange started happening, "double fires". A few times every couple mags, then more consistantly. I contacted Jack Cornett of SAI, explained the situation and the next couple days I made a trip to town to send it back for the repair, as advised. Got it back a week later and its been good ta go ever since.

So I'm not the one to say that Steyrs are perfect or Glocks are better than Steyrs. I'm just sayin', I'm curious about all firearms and firearm related incidents. <shrug>

Take care, Bro an' hava great weekend! :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- headin' out the door for a scooter ride [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  10. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

11. B3dlam

B3dlam New Member

Well second range trip another 130 rounds or so down the pipe and it seems to be getting better maybe 3-4 fte rather then 20+ hopefully abler 100 rounds and it will turn into the reliable shooter I wanted as I love pretty much everything else about the pistol.

12. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Glad ta hear it, Bro.

BTW, don't be concerned about damage to your striker fired Steyr, cyclin' the slide an' dry-firin' at the BG's on TV...with an "unloaded pistol", of course. <shrug>

The action of cyclin' an' pullin' the trigger will only facilitate a quicker break-in of your new Steyr.

And lube your rails to assist you in honing the mating surfaces, heavy friction is not our friend for a smoother mating surface area. [​IMG]

Just a thought. <shrug>

Take care, Bro an' plz keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- still digs gunnin' down the BG's on TV w/ 'is empty M357-A1, for giggles an' sh*ts [​IMG]