New M40 owner in Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by chobee143, Jan 26, 2008.

1. chobee143

chobee143 New Member

Just picked up my new pistol today and took it to the range. This is my first gun and I have not shot in a long time. I choose the Steyr M series mainly because the way it fit in my hand, much nicer than anything else I held. Also, the dealer said they here good guns.
    Of course I went straight to the shooting range with a couple of buddies.
    I shot 75 rounds of Independence 165gr FMJ since the deal at the range is you have to shoot their ammo. I'm pleased to say there where no problems at all except for some difficulty loading the rounds into the clip, which I understand is normal until the spring breaks in.
    As I said, I haven't shot in a while, but I am pleased to say I did hit the center twice at 25ft. Beginners luck I call it. My friends said the grouping was good. They did shoot and for both it as the 1st time with a Steyr. Both commented on how well the gun felt, handled and shot.
    I took it home and cleaned it. I had a little problem with the break down, but after 5 or 6 tries figured it out. Putting it back together as a snap. I can't wait to go shoot again, get more comfortable and take the safety class and get a CWP.
    Since the I bought the gun I had time to browse the internet and read up on my purchase during the cool down period, so I have read a lot of info. I came across this forum and see there is a ton of valuable info and some very helpful folks out there. I'll be here reading, learning and maybe even asking some questions.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome board, how's the weather down there?

Are you from Okeechobee? I think that's somewhere down there on Alligator Alley?

If you have a choice of a range that will let you bring your own ammo, Winchester White Box or CCI Blazer Brass at Wal Mart are favorites for break-in range ammo. Some folks have trouble with range-supplied ammo with Steyrs, but you gotta do what you gotta do. :mrgreen:

3. chobee143

chobee143 New Member

I live in Stuart, that's just east of the lake. Alligator Ally is south closer to Miami.
    BTW, I went shooting again yesterday and am zeroing in better.
    Yesterday my dad went and bought a S&W 40GVE. I don't care for it too much, the trigger has to much slack and it shoots low.
    I love shooting the M40 A-1 so much I called my dealer and had him order a M9 for me. I figure I might as ell hile the price is low.

4. chobee143

chobee143 New Member

I Picked up the M9 last Thursday and have not had a chance to shoot. The range had a bowling pin tourney that evening and I could not stay, had to pack for a weekend in the Keys.
    I was hoping to go after work today, but I received a call and a buddy is in town down by Lauderdale and wants to come up tonight. Damn, I just ant to go to the range and see how she shoots!

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just got my new M9-A1 last week and took it for a spin on Saturday. Suuuuuuuhhhhhhweet!

I've never shot a 9 that handles so well, including my custom CZ75 SP01 which cost purty near three times what I paid for the M9-A1. With some hot Canned Heat loads in the M357-A1 in the right hand, the left hand felt like I was shooting a .22, well maybe .22 mag.

As the French police officer said to Bogey, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship, not to mention a lot lower ammo costs than feeding my 357 Sig or 10mm. :mrgreen:

6. chobee143

chobee143 New Member

I guess I'll have to give that a try, 9 in on 40 in the other. Kinda like in the movies...lol

T

7. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Welcome chobee I'm close by. Where you shooting??? OK, just got the bowling pin post. I know where your shooting. Have you joined Martin County Sportsman's range yet......??? much better deal. PM me.........