New M40, New To Steyr

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Lifeislarge, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Lifeislarge

Lifeislarge New Member

Howdy folks, new to the club and new to Steyr as a whole. I just picked up an M40 safe queen on Friday for the paltry sum of $260. It's an early production (I'm assuming by the SN 005571), and had a hundred rounds thru it before it was put away. I will be calling Steyr tomorrow to see if there are any upgraded bits and shits available, from what I've read on here they changed the trigger and the ejector or extractor (can't remember). Hopefully they can verify for me and would be willing to modernize my new friend.

I bought this to use for shooting Limited Major in my local USPSA matches. I've contacted my gurus and they can machine a custom mag well for me, lighten the slide, and extend the mag release. I figure that with these enhancements, plus the recommendations from some guy named Big Taco, and a few Sigma hi-cap mags, I might just have myself a pretty solid, if not unique competition gun. I've been shooting my XD45 with okay results with only a trigger job and extended mags so I'm pretty sure this will be an improvement.

Please feel free to add your infinite wisdom to my plan, and if you have any holster recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Blade Tech has one listed for the M40 and if anyone has experience with this I would love to hear about it.

BTW, shot 150 rnds this afternoon and had three FTE's using Fiocchi FMJTC 170 gr. Not sure if there are any factory improvements that address this issue. Kind of a pain to clear. I also found the trigger to be notchy, almost like the safety was binding up. I want this gun to be smooth, reliable, and accurate..... Hmmmm, now where have I heard that before???? Hell, it's already sexy so thats a start!!!

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

You'll have a lot of fun doing USPSA with your Steyr M40! If you look at my avatar, you'll see what a M40-A1 looks packing a 19 round M&P mag. I seem to have the only weapon on the forum which hasn't had problems getting my mag hack to work. BT and Thaiboxer both had problems with consistent feed. I have some Sigma mags that are 15 rounds which are hacks, should you be interested. I bought the SS version, good thing too, two of them were on GB and appeared to have been salvaged from a flood, I got mud out of them. Put in Wolff Springs 15# and they rip!

I'm currently running a CZ 75B - 40 SAO. I wanted a softer trigger - ~3#. Still love the Steyr though.

Go through the Tutorials on the Home page here. You'll have that puppy tuned to a fine pitch.

3. Lifeislarge

Lifeislarge New Member

WOW!!! I just talked to Jeff at SAI and have never experienced service like that. Production date is December 99 and he said send it in, we'll update the trigger and a few other things and have it back to you in 2-3 weeks. Even going to send an extra mag for my trouble. Light years beyond the 8 weeks I waited to get my PF9 back from Kel-Tec. Sold that as soon as I got it back.

I'm more interested in the M&P mag mod as Taylor Freelance has some extensions that add 5 and are of excellent quality. A friend had the Arredondos and they fell apart during a match. I'll have to contact them to see if they fit on the Sigma mags. I am interested in your Sigmas as well, PM me with a price and I'll let you know. I'm accustomed to having 16 rnd mags for my XD but damn, it would be really cool to reduce mag changes to one in most stages. I guess I'll have to wait to bring it in to GPI for the mag well and other work. The other mod I'm interested in making is fitting a red sight rod in the center of the front sight. I saw that somebody had tried it but haven't seen a good result as of yet. I'm really anal about final fit and finish, and try to get thing to function as well as humanly possible. I think that when all is said and done I will have something really unique and cool. Now if only I was a better shot....

4. Lifeislarge

Lifeislarge New Member

Question, are the M&P base plates the same as the Sigma? If so I can use the the Taylor extensions and Sigma mags and all will be good in the universe.

5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

No, the M&P mags have a slant on the bottom of the mag to make it parallel with the slide, the Sigma's don't. The Arredondo extensions for the M&P won't fit the Sigmas for that reason. The M&Ps are 16 rounds, so with the + 3 you get 19. For our courses here around Houston, you have to expect from 28 to 40 rounds, sometimes 50 rounds a stage.

The Sigma's are a solid 15 rounds. Based on the BT and Thaiboxer feedback, I think that I was fantastically lucky in getting my - serious hack job to work. BT is a machinist, my hacks wouldn't work consistently in his gun, nor was he able to find a receipe using a new M&P mag.

My thought is that it's a combination of handle angle (supposedly 110 degrees, but there is variation in molding the parts), and the angle of the feed lips with respect to the slide. Ideally, the slide moves forward, picking up the new round the primer end of which is sticking out of the mag. It pushes the round forward, the bullet contacts the feed ramp on the barrel (which is tilting down at an angle), and slides up and out, into the chamber. In most illustrations they depict the round parallel to the slide, and if it is, then all should be well with the world. I don't know what the acceptable variation in angles would be. What is the barrel tilt angle? What is the feed lip angle? What happens if the cartridge is nose high relative to the rear? What about low relative to the rear?

Lots of fun things that never even crossed my mind as I hacked the mag. I simply put some Dychem on the mag, roughly marked where the notch was on the Steyr mag, and started enlarging the notch upward a bit at a time. If the notch wasn't high enough, the mag wouldn't seat. On the other hand, if I'd have started too high, the mag would hang down and wouldn't feed anything. The funny thing about it was that BT had done some precision measurements and knew exactly where the notch had to be. He measured the notch of one of my mags as being below the magic number, and the other one high. They both worked without problems in my M-A1. Go figure. Blind luck I guess.

The upshot of this is, expect to have possible frustration at getting your hack job to work, if you chose to try. PM me, and we can chat about the Sigma mags - 4 of those done, and they all work perfectly. YMMV

6. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

maybe this is a foolish question but why hack a mag when the factory ones for the gun is easy to buy?

7. Lifeislarge

Lifeislarge New Member

First things first... More is ALWAYS better. Whether at the range, or in competition, the more rounds you can shoot without reloading, the better you can keep your sights on target. What I am trying to accomplish is modding this gun to be used in USPSA matches. In different stages of a match you can expect to have to shoot anywhere from 8 to 50 rounds in the least amount of time possible. Changing mags costs you time, and accuracy. Never mind the fact that there is no better feeling than spending hours or days fabricating something only to find out that IT WORKS!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. Lifeislarge

Lifeislarge New Member

Hey ETH, I tried to PM you but it seems that you're on vacation or something. Please send me a message in regards to the mags. Thanks.