New M40-A1...some problems...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by 7nthson, Dec 17, 2007.

1. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

Hello,

I just picked up my new M40-A1 from Davidsons. Before bringing the gun to the range, I did a basic cleaning, and lightly oiled the rails. There was no obvious crud buildup, the extractor was stiff, but smooth, and the trigger felt nice while dry firing.

I did notice that my 12-round magazines were difficult to insert towards the last 1/3rd of insertion. Also, the magazines would not eject unless I held the ejection button and pulled the magazine downward. They would not fall cleanly when pressing the magazine eject button. I carefully inspected the gun as I inserted the magazine and finally noticed that the spring on the mag release button was pressing up against the magazine. Mainly, the last two coils were rubbing the magazine causing a lot of friction against the magazine. I rotated the spring in such a way that the coils didn't stick out as far, and now the magazines drop cleanly. Inspecting the magazines revealed that there were two gouges in each magazine where the coil springs were rubbing.

I then brought the gun to the range along with 100 rounds of Blazer Brass FMJ from Walmart. Over the course of 100 rounds, I had approximately 5 failures to eject the cartridges. I also noticed on a couple of cartridges, that there was primer streaking (I hope I have the term correct...there was a gouge from the primer to the edge of the casing).

I was hoping for better reliability from the gun, but I'm wondering if I just need to shoot more rounds through the gun to break it in. I have the domed extractor and when I got home, I removed it and didn't see any crud buildup. I also removed the firing pin assembly and it looked clean.

I am new to shooting and my only basic of comparison is my new Springfield XD 9MM SC. I've shot over 500 rounds through it with only 1 FTE.

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated. I love the look and feel of the Steyr. I just hope it works better with age.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I had a handful of failures to feed and/or extract completely during my first 400 to 500 rounds, very few but enough to notice, but all that stopped after about 400 and haven't had one since. Apparently this is not uncommon with MA1s but not true for all. But I don't believe anyone has not had the problem go away after the break-in period.

So clean and lube well and shoot, shoot, shoot. The more you shoot, the better she gets. :mrgreen:

3. cornfedmidget

cornfedmidget Guest

This is why the verdict is still out for me. Personally, I think you should get a weapon, wipe it off and fire it...and it should work without a problem. The Zastava 999 probably sat on a shelf for four years (wrapped in serbian ooze and wax paper) before I bought it, wiped it and fired 300 shots without any problems. All the steyr weapons I've seen are top notch, however I have never handled a MA1, and stories like yours worry me. I have an FN pistol that has not had one problem straight out of the box. I will probably get the MA1, simply since it is different and cheap enough, at least for now. Thanks for the post.

4. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

Well, hopefully shooting some more rounds through the gun will help out. Also, I'm not sure if the domed extractor plunger is the latest or if the beveled edge plunger is. I have heard that this may be the problem.

I'm wondering if the extraction problem some people are experiencing aren't due to some of the extractor springs being different tensions or lengths due to manufacturing tolerances or maybe just a bad batch of springs were used.

It seems to me that more tension on the extractor is needed to keep it from slipping off the case? Does this sound reasonable?

In my previous post, I mentioned that I solved the magazine tightness issue by rotating the mag release spring so the coils are not scraping against the magazine. This worked, but now the spring is starting to rotate back into it's original position and the magazines are not releasing again. I think a spring with thinner coils is needed. Has anyone else had this problem?

As for the gun, it truly is beautiful as far as polymer guns go. Quality-wise, it is every bit as good as my XD, maybe even a little better. The machining and the finish is really smooth, and the trigger feels great. I even like the funky sights. If I can sort out these extraction issues, and the minor magazine eject issue, I'll be extremely happy with this gun. Reliability wise, it hasn't been as good as the XD, but the gun is nice enough to warrent fixing the little bugs that make it so.

Brian

5. Alright.

It is always difficult to trouble shoot from a computer many miles away, but I would say that you need to try one other range trip and if you're still having malfunctions contact Steyr Arms Inc. and talk to them about your problems (Jeff is a cool character). It is a little bit of PITA to ship a pistol, but their service is fast and they'll have it shipped back to you double quick.

6. You could visit any other website dedicated to various other brands of pistols and see the same type of post.

Folks, have issues so they come here to get help and we try to help them.
    The design is sound, the pistols are made in Steyr, Austria where they've been making firearms for over a hundred years. That said I don't know of anything man made and mass produced that doesn't have issues from time-to-time.

I have an M40 with thousands of round through her and an MA1 with a lot of rounds through it all without issue. They work well for me and I'm sure as soon as the OP gets his pistol straightened out it will work well for him as it should.

Steyr Arms will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy with your pistol. Sleep well knowing that the pistol will run tip-top and be trustworthy. How confident am I that your Steyr will run as expected? Well, I bet my life on Steyr every single day and do so with absolute confidence.

7. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

I picked up 200 rounds of Winchester White Box ammo tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to the range to "break in" the M40-A1.
    It's all clean and ready to go.

I'll give a report when I'm done...this will be after 300 total rounds.

Brian

8. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

Ok, so I made it to the range tonight....

I put another 200 rounds through the M40-A1. I changed ammo from the Blazer Brass that I used previously, to the Walmart WWB. I had a total of 8 FTEs out of the 200 rounds. Each failure was the same...the cartridge was sticking half way out of the chamber, and the next round was bumping into it. Each one was easy to clear. The 8 FETs were pretty evenly distributed over the 200 rounds...a few in the beginning, middle and end of the session.

So, I now have 300 rounds through the gun and it is still quite unreliable. I did a thourough cleaning before shooting.

I will keep shooting the gun and see what happens after 500 rounds. I'm still wondering if I have the old extractor. It is dome shaped. I emailed Steyr in Georgia but haven't gotten a response. I guess I'll have to call them.

So far, I'm disappointed. I really want to love this gun. It feels great, looks great, and it is built really well. I just need it to be rock solid. I'll keep shooting and keep you informed.

regards,
    Brian

9. dickjones88

dickjones88 New Member

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I bought an M40A1 through Davidsons about a month ago. Manufactured in September 2005. I fired 300 rounds (100 WWB 180gr and 200 PMC Bronze 165gr) and she shot like a dream. No FTEs or anything else. I did a cleaning as was recommended in DAIadvisor's thread before firing the first shot. There was some sticky gunk on the insides and I got most of it out. This is my first gun and I'm loving it. :mrgreen:

Also, I noticed the primer smear on my casings like you mentioned. I did a search and found out that it's from the LCI. Rack a round in and slowly pull the slide back, you'll see what I mean.

10. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

dickjones88,

On your M40A1, do you have the dome shaped extractor, or the extractor with the flat beveled edges?

I have also cleaned the heck out of the gun when I got it, and after each firing session. I have noticed my extractor is pretty tight. I have removed it and cleaned the extractor channel but it was pretty clean to begin with.

I first thought there may not be enough tension on the extractor causing it to slip off the case, but perhaps there is TOO much tension causing it not to fully grip the case?

Brian

11. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

I believe the domed shaped extractor plunger is the old style. I had to get an unrelated part from Jeff at SAI, and he went ahead and sent, in the box with it, a new extractor, spring and plunger. It was the small beveled edge extractor, mine originally came with the domed one, so I switched them out. I will say however, that I put 100 rounds thru the domed shaped plunger with no malfunctions.

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The domed plunger is the new style. The beveled plunger needs to have the small bevel facing out.

The primer smear is from the LCI. Don't sweat that. But you describe " a gouge from the primer to the edge of the casing" which sounds pretty severe.

When shooting, the extractor doesn't do anything other than hold the empty case in place, until the case strikes the ejector. After striking the ejector, the extractor acts as the anchor point for flipping the case through the port.

The slide may not be traveling all the way back on the FTE, and the case is partially "rechambering". Sticky chamber can do that. Drag on the slide can do that. For mine, it was a sticky chamber from shooting 2/3 case of Wolf. It happened intermittently for a while, then became common. Your new gun may need the chamber "scrubbed", not cleaned. I used solvent/brush/patch and din't get it well enough. I cured it with a felt Dremel polishing wheel, just taped off the depth, turned it on and pushed it in and ran up and down a few times. YMMV.

The spring drag on the mag is a problem to be fixed. Although it stinks to do it, I'd clearly detail all problems and observations on paper (cut and paste from here) and ship to Jeff and let him fix it for you.

Ben

13. dickjones88

dickjones88 New Member

I have the extractor with the beveled edges.

14. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

Well, I got the FTE problem resolved. Steyr replaced my extractor assembly and after a few hundred additional rounds, no more FTEs. However, I am now having failure to feed problems! I had 3 or 4 of these with Blazer Brass, and S&B ammo. The bullet was pressed against the ramp.

The gun was very clean. Prior to shooting, I did disassembler the mags for the first time, but they looked clean as well. Maybe I messed something up when I put the mags back together, but they seemed to go together smoothly.

What is the most common cause of a failure to feed on the M40-A1 with 12 round mags?

Thanks,
    Brian

15. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I'd guess weak springs, that came from 10 round mags.

Terrible luck, I'm sorry to hear this.

16. 7nthson

7nthson Guest

I guess I should order some extra magazines and try them out. I will try to keep track of all the magazines so I can see if there is a trend.

I am a little discouraged with the gun at this point. I like it for what I paid, but I don't think I could rely on this as a carry piece. Right now, I just think of it as a range gun, and I have fun shooting it. I can put up with the occasional jam at the range.

I'll report back when I get some new magazines. I'm trying to relay all of my experiences on the forum so other users can benefit. The more knowledge shared the better for everyone I figure.

Brian

17. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Brian, you are right to be discouraged. You are having troubles that you should not be having. Bad luck.

Steyr does not want you to have these problems. Call them, explain what you have said here. They want to make it right, and they will. You should not have to buy new mags.

PS: My buddy is having a series of problems with his Glock. He keeps trying to fix it himself, on his nickel, and gets more frustrated. Don't be him.

18. Hilborne

Hilborne New Member

I clean my mags frequently and one day I started having problems feeding. In the heat of the battle I put aside the mag that was giving me problems and didn't look at it for a few days. Oops! I assembled it with the follower backwards. The mag would feed, but when I got down to the second to last or last round it would'n feed right. Check your follower. I also bought some Slide Glide, and can say it is like day and night. Really makes the gun run great.

Andy

19. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

One of my mags is causing a FTE but it only happens on the first shot. The rest of the mag shoots fine. So I pulled it apart tonight and gave it a good cleaning and noticed that the spring seemed different than the other mag...maybe it's just my imagination. Hopefully cleaning it good will fix the problem.

20. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

You need to read this...viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4309