New m40-a1 or Old M40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by dabdaworm, Apr 20, 2007.

1. dabdaworm

dabdaworm Member

I will (hopefully) be joining the Steyr world soon. Right now I have a Kel-tec P-11 9mm with all the gizmos (pinky-extension, trigger shoe, belt clip). I have been reading up on the Steyr, and I am very impressed. I have two options for purchase:

1) M40 at a local pawn shop, only one 10 rd. clip, no case, no safety key ($290 + taxes)
    2) M40 - A1 from CDNN. ($380 with Shipping and Transfer fee)

Because of taxes, the difference will end up being only $70. I am on a tight college budget right now. Should I hold out for the M40-A1? Is the price for the old M40 a good deal?

Thanks for your help!

2. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

290 for a used m40 would have been a pretty good deal a few months ago.
    In Jan I paid nearly 500 for a new M-A1 in .357 and I don't regret it a bit.

A M40-A1 for 380 delivered from CDNN is a great deal that won't last forever.
    Your extra $70 will get you a brand new slightly more refined pistol with a universal rail,
    two 12 round magazines, two keys, a case, a warranty and an owners guide.

3. smores

smores Guest

Agreed - go with the new one. Once the next shipment of Steyr pistols hits the shores the prices are going to go back up around $550 or so. Grab it while you can!

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i've never regretted money well spent.

but i have regretted missing out on a steal.

forget about price. get what you want. your first 1000 rounds will cost more than $70. a good belt and a quality holster will cost more than $70. just make sure you get the pistol you want. it's a lifetime investment. at those prices, you don't stand to lose very much if you decide to sell either of them in the future.

if possible try to handle both models. you may prefer one grip over the other. if a lightrail is important, definitely get the a-1.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'd go with the A1 if I were you. It seems to me like you enjoy accessorizing you pistols, so the rail of the A1 might come in handy for ya :).

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"forget about price. get what you want. your first 1000 rounds will cost more than $70. a good belt and a quality holster will cost more than $70. just make sure you get the pistol you want. it's a lifetime investment. at those prices, you don't stand to lose very much if you decide to sell either of them in the future. "
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good advice. One thing to think about is whether or not you want the trigger safety. I like it a lot. If you think you would like it, then you should consider the M.