new M40-A1 concerns

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Greg F., Sep 2, 2007.

1. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

I just picked up my new gun yesterday. I brought it home disassembled and cleaned and oiled it per manual specs and reassembled it. I noticed a couple of things that concerned me about the gun though. First if I press down on the slide there's some noticable movement. The slide moves up and down on the rails when I push on it. Second thing is when I put a mag in the gun with a round in it and I push the slide back about 1/4" the slide doesn't go forward on it's own. I have to either push the slide forward or tip the barrel down to get the slide to come forward. Seems like it might be a weak spring. Do your guns do this? I double checked that I had reassembled everything right and everything was correct. I also checked my Glock to see if it did the same things but it doesn't. If I push the slide back a little the spring forces the slide forward again and there's no up and movement on the rails. I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun yet. I'll take it to the range next week some time. Should I take the gun to my smith and have him look at it or does it sound normal. I also noticed the gun is hard to clear a round from the chamber. Normally I just pull the slide all the way back and the round comes out. This gun I have to really pull it back hard and really fast to get the round to eject. I hope I didn't get a lemon. It wouldn't surprise me though. I swear if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none at all. I'd appreciate any help/advice you guys can give me.

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

WHERE did you get this weapon?

DO NOT attempt to fire it in present condition....

...you need to field strip it again and recheck everything...

How far did you take apart when you clean/lube it?

You definitely have something binding....

3. NicoX

NicoX New Member

If i where U i will return to ask if it´s all OK ..
    I disassembled my now to see that U are talking about and for my point of view, it´s something wrong there

4. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

I got the gun from Turners Outdoorsman- a gun store chain in Ca. I only disassembled it to it's major components- frame, slide, barrel, guiderod/spring and mag. I used Shooters Choice Polymer safe cleaning spray to clean it and wiped it all down with a silicon treated cloth and then followed the owners manual and oiled the areas it said to. I then reassembled it and noticed the problems. I then disassembled it again inspected everything and put it back together- same problems. I think I'll have to take it to my 'smith on Tuesday. Should I try removing the trigger assembley and cleaning that? It doesn't show in the manual how to take it out, so I'll look on here for directions.

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I would not disassemble it any further yet....

Did you notice any of the issues BEFORE you first field stripped it?

I would return to place of purchase and 'inspect another identical weapon', and tell them your concerns...

...I am sure they don't want to "Tell their attorneys they sold a malfunctioning weapon to someone who was then permanently injured and handicapped for life because of it..."

..see where I am going???

..Maybe they can clear everything up right then and there.....

Let us know....

6. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

I didn't notice the problems when I first got home. Because the first thing I did when I got home with it, was take it apart and clean it. Then I put the Hogue tool grip that syntax recommended on it which was a royal p.i.t.a. to install. Then I installed my Insight M6X tactical unit. I know the weight from the light didn't affect it because the problems are there with out it installed. I don't think the grip could be causing a problem. I might take it off anyway just because the gun grip was more comfortable without it. You're right I should take it by the gun shop first. Maybe they can find a problem or even be willing to give me a another one instead.

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

My M9 is to almost 2,000 flawless rounds, but I have to push the slide forward if I retract it 1/4".
    If I push on the top of the slide in unloaded condition I get some flex and reduction in the gap between it and the frame, but not alot.
    I have to pull the slide back briskly to eject.
    Are you sure there is actually a problem with the gun? It sounds just like my perfect little M9.

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

interesting, SD........

...I checked all of my Steyrs when I first read the post,

and they all allow a very slight amount of movement between the Slide and Receiver when squeezed together....

However, NONE of my Steyrs exhibited any hesitation to go back into full battery after I pulled the slide back 1/4" or so and released....

The have had this problem with only two different pistols... A Kahr P9 [was eventually replaced under warranty] and one of my Glocks [I was playing with different Wolffe Springs]...

The Kahr had problems with the receiver, and the Glock issue was too weak of a recoil spring...

I will be watching closely to see what you all discover to be the underlying issue here....

9. madecov

madecov Active Member

Doesn't sound like anything wrong to me.

make sure you lubricate the barrel exterior, and the hole in the slide where the barrel runs.

I would load no more than 2 rounds for initial test fire.

Lock your slide back and insert magazine. Then use the slide release to let it chamber a round. If you have some firearm experience you can retract the slide manually and let it fly to chamber a round,do not allow your hand to "ride" the slide

If all goes well for 2 rounds, then load 5, repeat. If all is good load her up and blast away.

I tend to over lubricate my guns. If it aint dripping it aint lubed.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I agree w/ madecov. You probably should have tried shooting the gun w/o the grip first to see if it "fit" you right - I woudln't use it if the grip didn't get so slick on me after extended shooting. I wasn't sure if I'd like the tool grip at first, but after the first range trip, I was a believer 8). Whatever happens, let us know...

11. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

Thanks for the advice. It seems that you guys agree that there's no problem with it. So I guess I'll just take it to the range and try a few rounds through it this week. I guess I was just concerned because my other guns don't act like this. Do these problems go away after the gun is broken in or can I expect it to always be like this?

12. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

Steyrs are always a bit cranky when it comes to ammo / maintenance / other factors. As a rule they get better with time. Just keep shooting good ammo through it and you'll be fine. :)

13. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

My experience is that my Steyr M40-A1 is the most difficult pistol to un-chamber a round from. My practice is to turn the gun over and rack the slide over something soft, like carpet or onto my messenger bag or onto a pile of papers in my in box. I am sometimes lazy and cup my hand over my Glock's ejection port when I un-chamber it, which I know is very bad and I should stop, but I *never* do this with my Steyr. I tried a few times when I first got the gun and every time I badly jammed the round between the slide and the chamber.

14. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

with my s40, i have to pull back the slide and push the round down through the magwell.

the m9 i just pull the slide hard. (getting pretty good at catching the round!)

babj, is there a round in the chamber and a full mag in the gun when you're pulling back your slide slightly and checking for return to battery?

when my m9 was brand spanking new it would not return to battery under it's own spring tension in this example. but the gun runs fine.

the gun depends on the mag spring to push up on the slide to get good contact between the dovetails. up and down slide movement is not a bad thing.

don't ride the slide home. let it slam. the gun will function fine. other examples in the store are likely to behave the exact same way.

15. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

BT- My gun won't return to battery if I have even 1rd in the magazine. Oddly the problem only occurs if there's a round in the mag. It doesn't seem to matter if there's a round in the chamber or not.

16. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

the mag spring is pushing the top round up on the slide. as it should. i wouldn't worry about it.

as you shoot the gun, the rails on the bottom of the slide will get polished up and any little surface imperfections will get brass in them.. friction will decrease.

some people have polished their rails. i wouldn't bother. shoot it and enjoy. you'll like it.

17. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...well Ill be danged... :? :?

Apparently, If I pull the slide back about 1/8" to 3/16", with a round in the chamber, it will slide back into battery when released, regardless of magazine load/installation...

Now, If I pull the slide back MORE than that, the slide WILL NOT return to battery when released, regardless of magazine load/installation...

I see that during the first 1/8" or so of rearward movement of the slide, the barrel DOES NOT drop....

After that point, the barrel DOES begin to drop, and the LCI is sprung OUT, over the top of the chambered shell casing.... If the slide is released at this point, the recoil spring does not have sufficient kinetic energy to overcome the LCI spring pressure and therefore the slide DOE NOT return to battery without assistance....

I would expect any M-A1's that DO NOT have the LCI will not exhibit this behavior...

Perhaps someone with a non-LCI M-A1 will let us know?

19. Greg F.

Greg F. Guest

I took my Steyr to my 'smith today to have them inspect it and test fire it for me. Last night I was doing some dry firing with it and about half the time the trigger wouldn't reset. Some times I pulled the slide back too far and the slide lock engaged( I had a empty mag in it) and after I pushed the slide release the trigger still had not reset. I tried it without the mag in it to the same result. I figured it was better to take it to the 'smith than take a chance of it breaking or worse on me at the range. So far I'm not a happy camper when it comes to Steyr. On a happy note I ended up buying a new Glock 21SF while I was at the gun shop. :D

20. nuj

nuj New Member

hello greg f.,
    i had a 1st generation steyr m40 and it didn't exhibit any of the problems like the ones your having. what i did noticed is that the recoil spring it quite stiff. you have to put some muscle into it. maybe this is due to the designed of all 40 caliber pistol, they should have either a heavy slide or a stiff recoil spring in order to withstand the power of the 40 caliber ammo. upon returning from battery, the recoil really gives the gun a wack, also it helps in loading a fresh round into the chamber.
    if your gun doesn't return from battery once you rack the slide backwards then something inside the gun doesn't it to move forward. i suggest you check it out, maybe your recoil spring is too soft