New M40, 357 sig barrel upgrade?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by rcj0715, Mar 7, 2007.

1. rcj0715

rcj0715 Guest

Can anyone tell me if I can swap my 40 cal barrel with a custom 357 sig barrel?
    Is the barrel the only difference between the M40 and M357 sig.
    Does anyone know who is making aftermarket Steyr barrels?

Thank you!

2. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Yes, You can get a aftermarket 357sig barrel for Your M40. In fact, I've gotta 40S&W barrel coming from Austria for My M357-A1. IGB would be the manufacturer. Call Marc @ MDWGUNS, I believe He's got those in stock here in the States http://www.mdwguns.com/
    _______
    mugdava

3. rcj0715

rcj0715 Guest

357 sig barrel

Mugdava,

I have spent days searching the web to find this without even coming close.
    Thank you, going to call him tomorrow to order.

Again, thanks!!

CJ

4. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

Can we talk them into a .22lr conversion kits....
    I would love to be able to shoot 10,000 rounds for like 5 bucks
    and still be able to use my m40-a1. Actually my wife won't let me
    take her Walther P22 to the range without her :cry:

5. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Well, heck, just take 2 quarters with you to the grocery store, find that same gumball machine, and pick up a spare P22.

:)

Ben

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I have a conversion barrel and its great, but remember that you will have to get it fitted which will cost you some more $$$$. It is advertised as a drop-in
    barrel but its not................. 8)

7. rcj0715

rcj0715 Guest

Drop in not really a drop in?

Interesting, what am I in for as far as time and money?

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

might have to have a smith fit it, go to any gunsmith section and ask about drop in parts your bound to hear they rarely do just drop in. something to keep in mind.

9. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Re: Drop in not really a drop in?

With any luck My barrel should arrive in about a weeks time. I'll keep You posted. 8)
    _______
    mugdava

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

My Drop in Threaded Barrel for my Glock 17 did just that....

No Fitting, no Fuss!!!

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Re: Drop in not really a drop in?

I don't know what it would cost.....a good smithie could do it very quickly.......cost....? I don't know the going rate.....my machinist friend did mine for me...
    .......as good as any gunsmith would have done.......

12. nixon

nixon Member

Hi there mugdava,
    Do you know if the 357 sig barrel is a drop-in for the M40-A1 ? I'm also wondering if there are other members that have had this IGB barrel after market in their M40-A1's and their experience with it. I remember reading a posting many months ago complaining about the IGB barrel not necessarily a drop-in fit. What about Steyr made aftermarket barrels. When are we going to see some ?

thanks,
    nixon - like the former pres.

13. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Nixon!

According to the info I've found, it is a drop-in for the M40. I'm fairly certain that the barrel is the same for 1st generation M and a M-A1, but I could be wrong. My IGB barrel hasn't made it to MDWguns just yet, they should have it any day now. As soon as I get it I'm gonna give it a go and post the results.
    _______
    mugdava

14. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

My IGB barrel just arrived! While it does appear to just drop in, it's tight! I'm taken it to the range tonight to test it out. I'll post a range report w/ pics. Here's some pics w/ the IGB barrel installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

_______
    mugdava

15. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Its going to be tighter then your stock barrel. As long as it locks up and you can rack the slide, it should be good...........mine was not a drop-in barrel. Maybe they got the message and made some changes. Expect you might get some FTF's or FTE's due to tight tolerances until it smooths out...........but it's going to be accurate... :D

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Shooter :)

Your IGB 357 SIG conversion barrel was the only one I know of that wasn't "drop in". When you contacted Marc and IGB, what did they tell ya? :shock: Plz advise ASAP so I can contact Carmen at IGB and get the low down before there is any more problems for Steyrclub members and IGB. <shrug> Here's the reply from Carmen at IGB right after you informed me that you were experiencing difficulty with the "drop in":

Then this:

That's the last I was aware of what was in the works. Then you started postin' about how well the 357 Sig conversion barrel was workin' for ya. :shock: Please PM me and fill me in on what happened with IGB, Shooter. :shock: I need to know what happened and make sure it doesn't happen again, Dude. Sorry for any inconvenience. I kinda feel responsible, Bro. :oops: Sorry.

Wulf

Wulf