Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new, and just received an L9 from Mrs. Claus. LOL
I'm in love with her, shoots so smooth, very little recoil, fast acquisition of targets, with the Trapezoidal sights. Yatta, yatta.
I've broke her in with only steel ammo, 115gr., and had no hiccups till last week.
So literally 1000 rounds through her, and she starts FTE.... Cleaned her, and saw a Chipped Extractor...WTF? Called Steyr, and there sending me 2. Fair enough, But has anybody had similar experiences? Production date July '17.
Also I was told these pistols are designed for 124gr., 147gr. bullets. Any advice?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I'm new, and just received an L9 from Mrs. Claus. LOL
I'm in love with her, shoots so smooth, very little recoil, fast acquisition of targets, with the Trapezoidal sights. Yatta, yatta.
I've broke her in with only steel ammo, 115gr., and had no hiccups till last week.
So literally 1000 rounds through her, and she starts FTE.... Cleaned her, and saw a Chipped Extractor...WTF? Called Steyr, and there sending me 2. Fair enough, But has anybody had similar experiences? Production date July '17.
Also I was told these pistols are designed for 124gr., 147gr. bullets. Any advice?
When breaking in my S9 =-A1 I had a lot of brass chips inside the slide and around the top of the frame chassis , and that extractor was razor sharp. I have almost 1000 through it and used 12 different kinds of ammo and alum case once. the chips are minimal now. I didn't use steel case . Maybe steel against steel is more wear and tear. I have no idea. On optimum bullet weight I don't know. My exposure is fmj- 115 grain, 147gr sig and 124 gr fed hst defensive ammo with no issues. Is there a reason you used steel case besides cost?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When breaking in my S9 =-A1 I had a lot of brass chips inside the slide and around the top of the frame chassis , and that extractor was razor sharp. I have almost 1000 through it and used 12 different kinds of ammo and alum case once. the chips are minimal now. I didn't use steel case . Maybe steel against steel is more wear and tear. I have no idea. On optimum bullet weight I don't know. My exposure is fmj- 115 grain, 147gr sig and 124 gr fed hst defensive ammo with no issues. Is there a reason you used steel case besides cost?
Cost was a major factor, but I also wanted to know what this platform can do with ANY ammo. Once it's gone, I will definatly NOT buy more. Winchester is just a little bit more in brass, and 124gr, I intend to use it as target ammo. Still now I know where my L9 stands with steel ammo; Be Careful!!!! Kudos to Jeff at Steyr (customer service tech) for not giving me any problems trying to replace my chipped part. Very cheerful guy, and knows his product. He also told me these pistols are designed for at least 124gr ammo. At least until break in is over...300-500 rounds. And said +P ammo won't hurt it.
As a side note, I've never had ANY issues with my inexpensive Norinco 1911 A1, so this is all new to me concerning a failure of this type. Thanks...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cost was a major factor, but I also wanted to know what this platform can do with ANY ammo. Once it's gone, I will definatly NOT buy more. Winchester is just a little bit more in brass, and 124gr, I intend to use it as target ammo. Still now I know where my L9 stands with steel ammo; Be Careful!!!! Kudos to Jeff at Steyr (customer service tech) for not giving me any problems trying to replace my chipped part. Very cheerful guy, and knows his product. He also told me these pistols are designed for at least 124gr ammo. At least until break in is over...300-500 rounds. And said +P ammo won't hurt it.
As a side note, I've never had ANY issues with my inexpensive Norinco 1911 A1, so this is all new to me concerning a failure of this type. Thanks...
I am glad to hear about Steyr customer service. The info on ammo weight is interesting. I had no idea; but I was mostly getting that 115 gr assortment. This is my first 9mm. It is nice on recoil and cost is nice. The only thing is I can go through it fast. I got this deal at my local sporting goods store on Christmas eve. You buy 2 boxes of anything and get 1 free,
so I got 15 boxes of federal 9 ball, and got 5 free. It worked out to about 18 cents a round. Good luck with your L9.
I am enjoying mine quite a bit and I think the trap sights are great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine shoots Federal 115 9BPLE and Federal 115 Aluminum Case very well so far with no malfs. But less than 300 rounds. I do want to try other weights and hope to find a 147 load it likes.

T

·
Registered
279 Posts
For most of the european pistols, they are designed for NATO 9mm rounds. NATO spec is hotter and usually is 124gr.
The price of brass round is very cheap now and I would prefer to use brass cased round over steel case round. I have hear and seen a couple of chipped extractors from steel cased ammo from glock, s&w.

·
Registered
24 Posts
115gr s and b , 124gr Aguila , 115 gr American eagle, 115 gr blazer brass and hst 124gr is what I have shot through mine. 840 rounds and no malfunctions at all. Very happy with the m9a1. Only other gun I have that I have fired more rounds out of is my sig p320c. It is also super reliable with no malfunctions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am glad to hear about Steyr customer service. The info on ammo weight is interesting. I had no idea; but I was mostly getting that 115 gr assortment. This is my first 9mm. It is nice on recoil and cost is nice. The only thing is I can go through it fast. I got this deal at my local sporting goods store on Christmas eve. You buy 2 boxes of anything and get 1 free,
so I got 15 boxes of federal 9 ball, and got 5 free. It worked out to about 18 cents a round. Good luck with your L9.
I am enjoying mine quite a bit and I think the trap sights are great.
18 cents a round, is not bad. I'm in Love with my L9,... It's like a Giselle, compared to a Rhino. (My Norinco 1911 A1) I go through my ammo pretty fast also.LOL I bought some Fiocchi 147Gr. XTPHP. and shot it today, Very nice...a little more recoil, than 115gr., but still very manageable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone chime in on the grain preference for the A1s? Does they actually prefer 124 and up? Is choosing 115 grain a recipe for malfunction?
I unknowingly been putting 115gr. Russian steel through her for 1175 rounds now. It was at 850 I tried Winchester steel....That's when it chipped my extractor. Until then I had zero malfunctions... I also tried 147gr, Fiocchi XTPHP today, and had a little more recoil, but very manageable. I talked to a gun tech at Steyr last week, he said these pistols were designed for at least 124gr. but after your break in,300-500 rdns. you can shoot anything. Next I'm trying 124 gr.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update today: At 15 yards rested, Winchester 124 Nato ball shoots to POA and Federal 147 +P+ HST about 1 inch left both groups @1.25 inches for 5 rounds. Also Winchester 147 FMJ Train and Defend shoots well into around 1.5 inches.

Very impressed with the HST. Without the one "flyer" these group into 3/4 inch. Wouldn't hesitate to carry this load.

T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts