New Kimber

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by EmesiS, Sep 22, 2006.

1. EmesiS

EmesiS Guest

I appreciate the input I recieved from my earlier post when I was considering a KZ model Wilson Combat 1911. I decided today that I was going to buy a Kimber. I found a Kimber Custom II for a great price and couldn't pass it up; I will submit a range report as soon as I get a chance to go to the range.

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

That should leave you with a little extra cash for bullets........ 8)

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Emisis :)

Do ya mind elaboratin' on this post? I mean whataya mean "great price"? I gotta cop buddy that can get me the CDP's, factory reconditioned for $650. That seems like a pretty good deal, but all the local firearm vendors have price tags on Kimbers from $850 for used TLE's to over $1250 for a NIB Ultra Elite. <shrug> I just wonder what "great prices" are elsewhere other than 'round here. Hava great weekend. :D

Wulf

4. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

don't forget when looking at Kimbers that their external extractor models they were producing for a while were quite sketchy.

5. nixon

nixon Member

FlaChef is right about the extractor. It seemed to me that you deviated from your original plan of buying a top quality 1911 (Wislon KZ model) which ranks among the top shelf Kimber is a mass produced gun much like para ord., colt, springfield, etc. only slightly better generally speaking. I hope you find a nicely assembled one with very good fitting all around, oh well, that will bring us all the way back to semi-custom -semi- production ones like Wilson's, Baer, SW PC 1911 etc. Take your time and hope you find what you're looking for.

6. EmesiS

EmesiS Guest

I realized that buying a standard Wilson Combat single stack exceeded my budget so I resigned myself to purchase the best gun I could barely afford. What luck I had when I went to my favorite gun shop and found an exceptionally clean and well fitted NIB Kimber Custom II for 620.00. I had planned on buying a higher end Kimber when I went to the gun shop but this gun was so magnificent in appearence and function I could not refuse it. The extra cash I saved will be reinvested in some customization; my gunsmith is one of the best around. As well the savings will no doubt please my "better half". Regarding the external extractor - this Kimber does not have the external extractor and thus should not be a problem. Though I did not buy the gun I originally inteded to get I found something that suits me more than I imagined, it seems that the 'search' often changes the 'what' in the "what do I want question". Thanks again for all the input and feedback.

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Good onya, Em* :)

As I expected, our Kimber prices 'round here are too escalated. And you're right about the lookin' for one thing then findin' another. Its happened to me countless times. Even more countless times runnin' into somethin' exceptional but not having the funds at the time to take advantage. <sigh> Oh well....

Wulf

8. nixon

nixon Member

Good find Emesis,
    Good thing comes for those who wait.

9. sasops

sasops Premium Member

Emesis -

Caveat Emptor

You asked about a Wilson before and I told you that you couldn’t go wrong with a Wilson. A Kimber however, can be a tricky hit or miss affair.

I love 1911s. I can't easily shoot anything else as well. I owned a Kimber Custom Series One that was tuned by Terry Tussey. That pistol was among my favorites. I also owned two Series II (like yours) that were unsatisfactory because they had a chronic Failure To Return to Battery (FTRB ) problem caused by the Schwartz Firing Pin Safety they added to the design. Despite all efforts by Kimber, after 4 returns --both guns never proved reliable.

Assuming you have not been to the range yet, manually cycle the slide around 100 times then break it down, clean and lube it. Lube it well being sure to get every contact and wear point. Then shoot it with quality 230 grain hardball. After 300 rounds there should be no malfunctions of any kind but if your gun does FTRB and assuming your thumbs aren’t rubbing on the slide (poor grip), then you’ve got a lemon. Send it back to Kimber. If it does it again after they service it, sell it or use it as a target gun but don’t rely on it for self-defense.

Good luck with your new purchase.

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

My Kimber has no firing pin safety and has the original Oregon stamping instead of NY........its been very good.

11. srfl

srfl Guest

Interesting that the external extractor Kimbers have been problematic...Dan Wesson uses external extractors on their 1911's; my 10mm PTE-EXP hasn't had a single ejection problem in the hundreds of rounds it has fired.

12. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

S&W's external extractors also have a solid reputation for working.
    Kimber just couldn't get them to work reliably enough.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't hear much mention of Colts anymore, (I suppose they have fallen out of favor with the uber-tacticool crowd) but I own a stainless Combat Commander that (other than a minor trigger job and feed-ramp polishing) is a tack-driver straight out of the box. After several thousand rounds I replaced the recoil spring with a Wolf, but it has *never* had a single malfunction, even when I've neglected it for several trips and shot without cleaning it. I realize I have just jinxed myself (heh), but I wanted to chime in with a good report from a Colt owner. I've seen them new for under a thousand, and you can find sweet used ones for much less.

~Rick

14. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

reasons for colt running out of favor goes back to QC issue they had that and politics. QC issues resolved it seems.

15. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Ranger_Rick
    "I don't hear much mention of Colts anymore, (I suppose they have fallen out of favor with the uber-tacticool crowd) but I own a stainless Combat Commander that (other than a minor trigger job and feed-ramp polishing) is a tack-driver straight out of the box. After several thousand rounds I replaced the recoil spring with a Wolf, but it has *never* had a single malfunction, even when I've neglected it for several trips and shot without cleaning it. I realize I have just jinxed myself (heh), but I wanted to chime in with a good report from a Colt owner. I've seen them new for under a thousand, and you can find sweet used ones for much less."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got my 1991-A1 Government in about 1995 during the period of supposed sketchy QC for $480-490 as I dimly recollect. Never had a failure (including the last 20 flying ashtrays I had). I put in a Wilson Stainless bushing, Wilson full-length one-piece guide rod, EGW stainless enhanced slide stop, and Wolff 32 lb. recoil spring; and in the same shooting session I have shot Texas Ammo .45 Super FMJFP, Trition 450 SMC JHP, Speer GD 230 gr. +P, and Fiocchi 230 gr. FMJ without a hitch using Wilson mags. I much prefer my ugly Plain Jane, rubber-gripped, old-rollmarked, no-pony logoed workhorse (pun intended) to those super-shiny tacticool $1,500 1911s I see jamming from time to time next to me at NRA or Quantico.