New guy needs info (whats new)

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by heavymetalmachine, Aug 13, 2007.

1. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Ok hi yes I am new to this site and to the idea of another pistol platform other than the 1911. I have found that most time all you pay for nowadays is the name on the slide. I found this out by having so much trouble out of my Last Colt that this time I bought a Armscor RIA Tactical in 45 acp of coarse I gave around $425 in all for it. Now with that said I have run well over 500+ rounds through it without ANY problems at all.
    Now that has led me to be leave that you need not spend $1000+ to get a great gun!!! So in my search for my next toy um side arm I have come across the Steyr M line of pistol and folks here seem to love them. Everyone around here is pushing the M&P but I have never been a S&W fan. Next is the P99 but with these the price is getting more then I want to spend. I know I can get another Armscor for well under $500 and never have a problem. So why should I pay more?? Now the CZ line has peeked my interest first but people seem to be having trouble with the guns and getting parts. So we are now back to Steyr. I am thinking M9 if I am not going 1911 I might as well do the other evil too :lol: The 9mm with the way ammo is going up at least I will get to shot more!
    Ok so there are no gun smiths around here at all and this worries me a little with a new type of setup. I can fix a 1911 but these things look totally alien to me.

Now with the history behind let me get to my ?'s and yes I have searched for a few days now but I am still confused. If I hang around long enough you will get used to that.

1 What type of maintenance do these require?
    I detail strip my 1911 every time I shoot. Looking for something not such a pain to clean

2 If I do need to fix something or take it upon myself to do so what skill level do you rate working on one of these? 1-10

3 CDNN seems to be the place to get one but I have read of some looking as if they had been used more so then test fired.
    a. Had they been replaced?
    b. Is there a #2 place to buy? Customer service means a lot to me..

4 Are captured guide rods really better than not? And should I just get one from BT when I order the pistol?

Now I would like to say thanks for taking the time to read all that and for any info that turns up.
    Again thanks...........

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Are you looking at the original M? I'm guessing you're interested in the M9A1 from your CDNN reference....

1. Maintenance info can be had here. I doubt many do more than a quick field strip - a quick scrub down, spray off, and coat of rem oil is definitely enough to keep the pistol ticking away. I prefer to put a little more time into it than that, but not because it is necessary. The M's can be field stripped in well under 5 seconds - I've never been able to do that with my 1911...

2. These pistols are very straight forward - fairly detailed stripping instructions can be seen here and here. The extractor is also easy to remove.

3. I'm calling BS on this one - this is the first I've heard of anything like this, and I would assume some of those complaints would blow over to the online Steyr resource... The only complaints I've read of CDNN pistols is that the factory lube seems to be getting baked on in warehouse and a thorough clean and lube is necessary before your first range trip. If you want to pay more for the same thing, check out Davidson's Gallery of Guns - they have stock right now and offer a lifetime warranty on all their products. Steyr Arms, Inc. has (IMHO) the absolute best customer service in the industry, and if you have any problems they WILL take care of it, period. See the sticky here.

4. You will have no trouble with the factory plastic captured guide rod, but I highly recommend picking up one of BT's. They ooze of quality and add a nice feel to the front end of the pistol. I would only go uncaptured if you are the type who likes to play with different weight springs, etc. BT is (obviously) the resident expert on these issues, so I'll leave the technical aspect of this question to him.

Welcome to the club! 1911's are great, but there is something special about the M(A1)'s... You're going to enjoy your stay here 8)

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Easiest gun there is to field strip. You probably won't have to do a thing to the gun, besides clean. Directions for most disassembly found here in the tutorials. Complete disassembly is a PITA and much harder than a 1911.

5, unless you get real unlucky. then send it to SAI, they are dynamite.

Haven't heard that one.

Sure, but I'd buy from CDNN.

It comes with a captured guide rod made of ABS plastic. You don't need anything else. I'm still getting one from BT, partially for the weight but mostly for the snob appeal.

4. madecov

madecov Active Member

The Steyr is a great gun. best trigger available of any Polymer pistol.

I carried a 1911 on duty for a long time. I went Steyr first them other polymer guns ( Duty holster availability issues).

CDNN has the lowest prices on the MA1 series, you can pay more for the same gun if you want.

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

The best trigger out of the box for a DA polymer pistol. Field strips easily like a Glock. CDNN is the way to go while they last. Top drawer guide rod - why not?

6. heavymetalmachine

Ok thanks for all the info thus far. M9A1 is what I'm after. I guess I needed to make myself a little more clear. As for the maintenance I had read the links you listed I just needed to know if the average Joe would find it all as simple as the pro's. I know a lot of folks talked like detail stripping a 1911 was nothing but I must admit it took a time or two for me to get it. I just wanted to know if I would be overwhelmed.

Now for the ? about CDNN and the pistol's with the unusual wear here it is https://www.steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... +test+fire
    I had seen the same thing with Armscor and they replaced it.

Thanks again...

7. swede413

swede413 Banned User

That link refers to the M and S series pistols cdnn was selling before the MA1 series was introduced to the public.

8. Dobry

Dobry Guest

I just had my new BT captured guide rod out on the range yesterday for the first time.

For the guide rod, yep, I'd get one from BT if I were in your shoes. Definitely made a better difference for me.

9. heavymetalmachine

Thanks somehow I missed that. So CDNN it will be. It will still have to be a week or so before I get all my funds together. I am also in the process of having to move for the first time in 15 years. Never realized how much stuff we got. Once I get everything back to normal I will be able to make this happen :D

10. Dag

Dag Guest

CDNN

Hi heavymetalmachine

"Stuff" happens. From what I've read, CDNN is a reputable dealer (even if they won't ship to California :cry: ). When your gun arrives, open it up and inspect it thoroughly, in front of your receiving dealer. If there is a problem, he's an unbiased witness. Whatever condition the gun is in, give it a thorough cleaning. Lots of tutorials on the Stery Club home page, so strip it down as far as you're comfortable with, clean and lube per instructions and go shoot the snot out of it! Then come back here and post a range report, preferably with photos! :twisted: It's not a Glock, so don't expect to treat it like a Glock. Shoot it, field strip it, clean and lube it, put it all back together. Repeat. You won't be unhappy.

Oh yeah, welcome to the club!

Dag

11. heavymetalmachine

Dag

What does It's not a Glock, so don't expect to treat it like a Glock mean ? I have never shot a Glock so you have lost me. Do Glock's not need to be cleaned as often ?

Thanks for the welcome..

12. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Glocks have a reputatio for being able to withstand a ton of abuse. Google Glock Torture test. They are made like an ak, max tolerances, so they shoot everytime. They are blocky and innaccurate. But they go bang.

Steyr likes to be loved a little bit. It like to be cleaned, lubed, and fed decent ammo. Its tolerances are tighter. It is also much more accurate.
    There are several other differences, including the triggers, action system, sights, safeties, etc, but thats probably what he meant by that.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Glocks are the AK's of the pistol world - sloppy but unstoppable (usually). The Steyr's (and most other quality handguns) have tigher tolerances than glocks - they wear in, not out. He's just saying that you shouldn't expect to take the crappiest ammo you can find (*coughUMC/Wolfcough*), bury it in the dirt/mud for a week, retrieve it and then pack it up to throw downrange on your M-A1's first range session :lol:. Keep your pistol maintained and lubed and feed it quality (read decent - e.g. WWB, CCI) ammo and all will be well.

14. heavymetalmachine

Santax360

Funny you said bury in the mud/dirt check out page 3 http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

So far the best handgun I have come across has been my RIA Tactical..
    I think they are one of the few that has come in under the radar and that seems to be the feeling here with Steyr as well. That is the reason I am willing to give this one a try. I like the word of mouth method rather than what the gun rags tell me to do.

Thanks..