New gun to me

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by NickAntoniello, Feb 16, 2007.

1. NickAntoniello

NickAntoniello Guest

I have just aquired a m40 that was made in aug. of '99 serial # 005xxx, it is a very well made pistol in my opinion. i went shooting on 2-15-07 i put about 250 rounds through it and no jams what so ever. i was shooting winchester 40 s&w 180 gr. fmj (nice round)

2. NickAntoniello

NickAntoniello Guest

The trigger is good seems to be smooth enough for me does not feel tight or anything. i also put another 120 rounds through it on sat 2-17-07 and again i had no mal-functions.

3. You should takea look over at the "ARTICLES, TUTORIALS, INFO" section of this website if you have not already done so.

Within that section is an excellent tutorial on cleaning the Steyr M and extractor removal and cleaning.

The extractor may need removal and cleaning if your M series pistol is used.

Also please fire decent ammunition through your pistol. The favorite of most on here is the Winchester White Box (WWB). Wolf, UMC, and range reloads may cause problems.

Good Luck

4. Angel

Angel Guest

Don't forget American Eagle. And stay away from Sellier & Bellot.

5. beatnik

beatnik Guest

Congratulations!
    I just got done reading "90,000 rounds of maintenance" in the articles section and I recommend it highly.

Angel, what is it about Seiller & Bellot that should be avoided? I haven't put any through my M9 yet but my P-38 eats the stuff up. Or is it only 40SW that's a problem?

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I too would like to know...

Why Angel advises staying away from Seiller & Bellot? I have shot S&B in various calibers and have never had a problem.

7. Angel

Angel Guest

In my M9-1A, various S&B rounds kept on jamming left and right, even after the extractor fix. Even crappy reloads wouldn't jam but the S&B rounds would jam at a rate of 3-4 per every 50. The range master told me that was about par from what he saw with S&B and they were going to stop carrying them once current inverntory ran out.

8. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Mine is about the same age and has had a couple thousand rounds put through it with no problems (although about 500 round ago the LCI stopped functioning ... sticks out all the time unless you push it in manualy).

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

about s&b, they're also known to have very hard primers.

i've seen some s&b get nailed three good times in a flawless gun and not go bang.

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Caution on S&B 5.56.....very hot load....I've shot all kinds of 5.56 and these were the hottest......big flash and recoil........Adds wear to AR's.......

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam, Shooter

...and u wanna BMG 50? :shock:

J/K :D Hava great weekend, Bro. :p

Wulf <-- thinkin' bout borrowin' the local Sherrif's dept HS-50 for the weekend :idea:

12. Angel

Angel Guest

You are right, I had one that did that and finally went bang in the second time.

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Wow.......Wulfguy, I bought a crap load of S&B 223 years ago when I first got into AR platform when they were cheap..........before I knew what SAMMI specs were...........they have been gathering dust since and use them sparingly.........but wouldn't a HS-50 be too cool ????? gotta have one.......... :lol: and a Keltec 308.... :idea:

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

American Eagle and WWB are my primary pratice rounds