New gun owner moving to Chicago : (

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Guest, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am a new Steyr MA1 owner (picking it up next week!) who decided to buy a Steyr after comparing it with other pistols. The Glock 17, Beretta PX4 Storm, and the Springfield Armory XD9 pistols were the competition; and, each brought it's own strengths to the range with it. However, it simply boiled down to pointability down range and ergonomics. I'm in love with my new pistol guys, but now my company is relocating to Chicago!!! No handguns in the Chicago area sucks, but I have heard that in some nearby counties/areas that it is possible to own a handgun. Does anyone know where I can live and still keep my new baby?!!

2. armored

armored New Member

I live in Chicago, The ONLY way that I can legally have a handgun in the city is if I use it for work. That I do.

Unlike some large cities like Los Angeles, the Chicago boundries and laws are ONLY for the City of Chicago NOT the county that Chicago is in, Cook County.

You can buy guns and ammo in Cook County just not in the City of Chicago.

Illinios has home rule. Each city can write laws or ordenances specific to there town, thus other citys in Illinios also ban handguns,however it follows the MORE populated and Democratic (liberal) the city the MORE anti gun.

Some of the cities close to Chicago that I know ban Handguns are, Winnetka,Willmete and I believe some of the other VERY liberal,and wealthy North Shore cities, Morton Grove, Oak Park (they also have a ban on Nucleur weapons and material so leave your NUKE where you are if you plan on passing thru Oak Park). Most of your problems will be in Cook County. Out side of Cook County you should have no problems.

Unless you really want to live in the City of Chicago and Cook (we call it CROOK) County I would advise living in a surounding county like Lake,DuPage,Will,McHenry,or Kane.

Many people that work in downtown Chicago commute to Indiana, they have CCL and VERY liberal gun laws, or Wisconsin where they are working hard for a CCL.

Despite what you might hear and despite our elected officals Chicago IS a GREAT city,just not for gun owners. A little investigative work on surrounding areas can let you enjoy the City of Chicago and your guns and shooting. There is NO shortage of places and groups to shoot with.
    I shoot with three differant IDPA clubs (there are a few more) all within about a hour or less of Chicago (three shoot outdoors in the spring,summer and fall indoors in the Winter.) I also shoot IHMSA at two differant clubs,one in Wisconsin and one in Indiana, both are about a hour and a half away. There are MANY other shooting clubs close to home.
    Whatever you like to shoot there is a place or club that does it.

Feel free to contact me if you have ANY questions about this area.

3. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor New Member

I am considering going to Chicago later this month. I am full time police officer in Ohio. Am I allowed to carry my sidearm off duty in the city of Chicago, or is an all-out ban? Just curious..

4. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Guest

Can't by anything in Illinois without your PAPERS or as they call it FOID card. No guns, no ammo, no reloading supplies.

So glad I left that area.

5. armored

armored New Member

I would contact the Chicago Police to get the "right answer". Until last year Police and private security people all had to register there guns with the city,every year in person at Police Headquarters,a REAL PAIN!

A private investigator suid the City of Chicago after he was arrested and his gun confiscated while doing work in the city and carrying his gun(he lived and had his office out of the City).

The Ill supreme court overturned his conviction and ruled that if you are licensed to carry a gun in the state the city of Chicago can't pass laws that supercide the State law(or approval for your carrry or possestion). I don't know if this ruling pertains to out of state Law enforcement officers. Chicago closed there Gun Registration dept. a year or more ago.

Unless you use and can provide proof from a certified Emplyor you CAN NOT have a handgun in the City.

If you would like a copy of the Supreme Court ruling I can send it to you.
    I carry a copy in my gun case just to remind any LE officer that should stop or question me about my Hand Gun possetion before or after work(1 Hour).

6. armored

armored New Member

The FOID card or Firearms Owners Identification Dept. is a $5.00 card that is good for 6 years. You fill out the application answering the simplist questions like are you a convicted Felon or are you mentaly insane or are you a US citizen. You then mail it to the State Police with a picture and in about 3 weeks you recieve a laminated card about the size of a drivers Licence. When you buy a hand gun (mandatory 3 day wait anywhere in the country) you show your FOID card, same with ammo purchase.

THATS NOT SO HARD is it? MANY states have FAR more restrictive hoops to jump thru than Illinios.

7. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

3 day wait anywhere in the country? Sorry that is not true. In Nevada and Colorado I can walk in a store and walk out with a handgun. Assuming the instant background check is working, which it almost always is. I think its between 9-5 also.

8. armored

armored New Member

Sorry for the mis- information. It thought the 3 day wait for a hand gun was national.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

About 10 minutes in Kansas while they call in your background check.

10. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

no prob. I dont think you guys are the worst, at least. Kali is something like 2 weeks, last I heard. Ridiculous! When Im mad at someone I dont have to wait 2 weeks to buy a gun and shoot them! I want to do it now!! :wink: :roll:

11. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Guest

No wait in Texas if you have a CHL which consitutes a good NICS.

And the FOID can be a royal PIA . Mine was first rejected because my name matches a dirt bag who served felony time and guess what , I had to PROVE I was not that guy. Thank God I was serving the USMC at the said jail time and had my DD 214 to prove it.

12. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Sucks in Chicago. Glad I'm in VA.