NEW GB OWNER, with questions

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by crazig, Oct 8, 2015.

1. crazig

crazig New Member

I have been wanting one for many years, & was able to trade for a clean late model with 2 magazines + instruction booklet. I brought it home yesterday, & took it down or cleaning & inspection. My experience with automatic pistols he been with 1911's, Tokarev's, Makarov's, Sig. The GB appears to have had only light use, judging by mechanical wear. It is in very good condition. In awe of takedown simplicity, design, & workmanship.
    It was in DRY condition, no trace of oil or GREASE at all anywhere (unlike other autos) I used BreakFree on firing pin, pivots, Recoil spring assy. Used synthetic grease on
    the ways. IS THIS OK? ARE ANY SPARES AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ? No mention in manual. WILL ATTACH PIX + RANGE REPORT LATER.

THANKS, C.

SurfGent likes this.
  2. dash

dash Member

Congrats on the purchase...

Grease is fine on the rails at the back the frame and inside the slide where the rails fit and on the flats at the very front of the slide. Don't put lube at all on the barrel or inside the nose cap. If you can with a toothpick, go ahead and place a small dab of grease on the end of the trigger bar that pulls on the bottom of the hammer. BTW...DO NOT TAKE THE HAMMER OUT! Some of us have found ways to get it all back together without too much trouble. Just avoid it if you can. Don't use lead bullets either. Stick with jacketed ammo only. It's up to you if you want to keep the outside on the barrel nice and shiny. I just soak it with Breakfree, use a stiff nylon brush, and wipe off. Whatever stays, stays. Same with inside the nose cap. I've only used the supplied wire brush a handful of times...it's just too aggressive. Buy a shotgun bore brush to use instead.

As for spares...well, good luck with that. Every now and then something pops up on Gunbroker, but mostly it's magazines.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    SurfGent likes this.

3. crazig

crazig New Member

RANGE REPORT: I enjoyed shooting the GB, assuming it is already broken in being a used pistol, so I only put about 40 rounds through it, using several brands of ammo. It digested everything I put in it, but the Russian ammo was very dirty & made more clean up work, also don't want to wear the ejector using steel cases. T had taken a bunch of other handguns to the range & was getting tired, but noticed during the second magazine load, that the trigger was very light in single action mode & Id sometimes let a second round go following the recoil from the first. So I'll need to get used to the trigger action. I was also expecting very little recoil because of the G.B. action, but it was about like my SIG 220 P6 9m recoil. Does that sound typical? All told I am very pleased, here are some pix.

Attached Files:

SurfGent and Case like this.
  4. dash

dash Member

Your next assignment should be to find a muzzle brake. Not that the recoil needs taming, but it's reduced even further using the brake. Good that you have one of the later GB's. They have a lighter double action pull than the earlier ones. And yes, I've run into the very light single action pull too.

SurfGent likes this.
  5. crazig

crazig New Member

Fortunately I don't feel the need or have the $$ for the "unobtainium" Compensator. I am accustomed to much greater recoil, & feel it makes the pistol way to long for my requirements.I would like a set of the Aluminum Grips, & an original box & brushes. A set of spare parts & springs would be nice as well.

SurfGent likes this.
  6. lazaro68

lazaro68 New Member

They are not easy to find but they sure look good.
    Unfortunately mine is unfired so I can not give a comparison of with or without.....but it does look nice....don't it....

had to show it off to some folks who I know would appreciate the look of it.

Attached Files:

SurfGent likes this.
  7. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

I had bought a bag of reloads from one of the major suppliers (I will not say which,) back before it was common knowledge that Glock 9 Mm's caused a bulge in the cases when fired, and if the cases are not re-sized for the full length they won't chamber properly in other weapons. My GB never even hiccuped with them, in fact I was unaware there was a problem with them until I found the rest of the bag recently and went to break in a new purchase. I ended up with jams, firing out of battery, even blew the clip out of my new weapon at one point. Upon close examination it was evident that whomever had done the reloading had not re-sized the brass ALL THE WAY TO ITS BASE. The GB has a very loose chamber, this is probably why it swallows and fired anything that I fed it.

SurfGent likes this.
  8. ROBOCOP195

ROBOCOP195 New Member

Hi crazig,

your GB is the second variant of the basic GB. Earlier GBs had the ring hammer and a trigger with longitudial grooves. The later GBs (starting serial number P15.000) had the spur hammer and a smooth trigger. And of course the lighter SA/DA trigger pull.
    But Steyr offered also 3 different tuning kits. #1: complete tuning kit (lighter hammer springs, spur hammer, smooth trigger). #2 kit: lighter hammer springs only. #3 kit:lighter hammer springs, spur hammer.
    Steyr also offered a 140 mm lead only barrel (conventional rifling) with 6 gas holes instead of 2. The standard 136 mm barrel has a polygonal rifling and a faster twist (lenght 220 mm instead of the regular 250 mm in 9 mm Luger).

Yours Robocop195 - Germany

silentheart, SurfGent and Case like this.