New from Nebraska

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by baller, Jan 21, 2013.

1. baller

baller New Member

Just picked up my M9 from Cabelas Sunday afternoon. I had received a couple gift certificates for xmas gift and decided to purchase a handgun. After looking for over a month and holding several in my hands I had it narrowed down however when I went into the store they did not have any of the three guns I wanted to purchase. I was kind of upset with myself because I had the chance to buy one of the guns at a Scheels two weeks before but because I had over $300 in gift cards and another $150 in points on my credit card I waited until I made it to Cabelas. Well I remembered a friend of mine saying check out the Steyr gun if you want a nice handgun, but since it wasn't a gun I was familiar with I didn't give it a look until yesterday I held it in my hand and it was perfect. Love the sight and how it sits in my hand.
    What grain/brand are those of you shooting the M9 finding works the best?
    Down fall was Cabelas only had two boxes on the shelf in the whole store! It was like Marokov brand 95 grain......

2. jhb

jhb Member

welcome to the club.

i like 124gr......but my c9 works with 115gr and 147gr, fine as well.

i'm sure you already know, but just in case....makarov 9mmx18 is a completely different caliber, than 9mmx19, 9mm luger, 9mm para or 9mm as most people call it, which is what your m9 shoots.

3. baller

baller New Member

I hope its not 9x18!! I am pretty sure it said 9 mm, but not for sure if it was 9x19 or 9x18.....so that can't be shot out of my M9?

4. Doc

Doc New Member

If is says makarov, it's likely 9x18. As jhb said, 9 para (short for parabellum)/luger/NATO = 9x19 and is what most people commonly refer to as "9mm" colloquially. 9mm Makarov = 9x18.

As far as grains go, it's up to you. Try some trial and error, if you can. My M9-A1 will happily shoot whatever I put in it, but for whatever reason, I prefer the 147gr, and 124 if that's not available.

5. Okie67

Okie67 Member

Welcome to Steyrclub!

6. jhb

jhb Member

Like Doc says, if it says makarov and/or 9x18 its makarov ammo and you can't shoot it in your m9. Makarov is closer to 9mmx17 9mm kurz or .380 auto as we call it here stateside. I say closer but those two are not interchangeable either. All three are different cartridges and don't mix and match.

There is 9mmx19 out there, slim pickings right now and pricey, but just look for the 9mmx19, 9mm para, 9mm luger and you are good to go. If still confused look for the 9mm and common grains, like 115gr, 124gr, 147gr. There some other grains, but these 3 make up the bulk, at least round here. Hope that helps.

7. baller

baller New Member

thanks for the help. Any one interested in some 9mm ammo 9x18 :D