New forum member just wants to say hi and has some questions

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by kraigster414, Nov 10, 2007.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Hi. First time post so please be kind :) Great site here. I have been toying with the idea of getting a new P9 M-1 and am very interested in comparisons between the Walther P99 my latest acquisition. Unfortunately, none of my local dealers stock Steyr so for now I have to rely on the feedback offered at this site. Next week is a gun show so I am hoping to at least have a chance to handle assuming I can spot one. My primary question is ergonomics. I have the small grip panel installed on my P99 and am wondering it compares to the M-1 as far as feel. I have small hands. Thanks!

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome to the club!

I don't have a P99, so I can't offer a comparison there, but IMHO and everyone else here at SteyrClub who has ever commented on ergonomics, Steyr is the best. I hope you can find one in a shop or gun show and see for yourself.

I bought my M357-A1 without ever holding a Steyr as I couldn't find one, but I most certainly have no regrets. I've got six pistols at the moment and my Steyr's handling is tops over G29, S&W 669, Llama .45, PF-9 and Walther P22.

As for ordering, M9A1s and M40-A1s are available at CDNNsports.com for $350 to be shipped to your local FFL for transfer and for a bit more through galleryofguns.com, which will ship one to a dealer in your area in your name. By the time you pay shipping and FFL transfer fee, you'll be somewhere close to $400.

So if you see one in a shop or at the gun show, don't pay over $400 as you can get one under that online.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Check the Frappr map on the homepage - perhaps there is a forum member in your area who would be willing to let you take their Steyr for a test drive?

4. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thank you guys. I have a local dealer who participates in the Davidson's program. A little bit more than CDNN's price but since I may do a trade-in it kind of makes sense. I will see if there is anyone local (Virginia) who has a gun I can drool over.

Again, very nice site. I hope in time I am able to contribute.

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Kraig* :)

Welcome ta the Club. I got onna each, and the stocker M-A1 is a bit smaller than the P99's. <shrug> Also, ya can make the M-A1 grip a bit more comfortable w/ a Hogue grip sleeve. PM Syntax360 'bout it. You're definitely gonna appreciate the M-A1 trigger more...hands down. :shock: Take 'er easy, Bro. :)

Wulf

6. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

kraigster414,
    Is this Kraigster from mp-pistol?
    I don't know the P99, but if you liked the ergonomics of the M&Ps (forget about the mag release issues) you will love the MA1 series. I use the medium grip on my MP40c and I have the Hogue Handall installed on my M9A1. The grip is slightly different but equally as nice. I briefly toyed with the idea of stippling the grip on the Steyr as I did my M&P but finally opted to just add the Handall.
    The Trap sights take a little getting used to but I like them better than any other sights that I have used.

Welcome to the forum and Good Shootin'!

7. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thanks! Yes, it is the same kraigster414 and you had to mention the M&P! :) What a dismal experience I had with that sucker, make that 2 suckers. Guess I was just one of the unlucky ones but suffice to say, I will never again buy a gun in its first year of introduction. I recently traded-in my second M&P (I had the small grip panel on mine) for a Walther P99 and I couldn't be happier. Now I've got the MA1 bug. And for the big news....I just ordered a Steyr MA1 in 9mm sight unseen, geez I hope I didn't screw up, but from everything that I've read, the Steyr sounds like a winner.

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your M&P experience. I've wondered about those, but not enough to buy one. I guess buying a new pistol design is somewhat like buying a new OS for your computer. It pays to wait until after the first bug fix.

As for the MA1, I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed. You could say this is the bug fix version, though from what I've read, the M series are great pistols, too. In fact, I predict when you hold it in your hand, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find it will exceed your expectations. Welcome to official status as a Steyr owner. :mrgreen:

9. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thank you Net but your aviator is scaring the hell out of me. 'Reminds me of a bad day at work. :lol:

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I like it, but I'm thinking about dumping it because an animated gif like that is so distracting. You can't read anything around it because you eye keeps getting drawn to it. I may dump it soon, but just can't decide.

Maybe I should start a thread with a poll and let the other Steyroids vote on whether I should keep it or not. :roll:

11. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Net, I like it. The only thing better would be a scene from the dream I had last night involving Carmen Electra. :lol: