Steyr Club Forums banner
3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  unit1069 
#1 ·
I've been having some issues with getting brass ejected directly back into my face once in a while (no FTE though), so I contacted a Canadian distributor for Steyr parts. I was sent a replacement extractor and spring.

Before installing it, I took some photos of the old and new parts (old on the left, replacement on the right). Is this the latest extractor that all the American versions are getting?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I had the same problem with my FNP9 (NOT IN THE THE FACE!!)
Every one said it was the main spring was too stiff and it needed more of a break in..(that's pure BS)

While you have a new extractor try this.
On the old one take some fine sand paper like 600 grit or finer 2500 grit fold it in half. The hook that holds the shell sand the (V) of the hook until you get a smooth polished finish. (yes take off the precious black finish only the inner hook aria though)

The 9mm and 40s&w shell casing has a very small shelf at the bottom for the extractor to bite on to if it has too much of the black coating on it or if its finish is rough it cannot get a good bite on the casing and throws them up instead of out
(once its back in the slide test how well it grabs with a spent casing the more engagement the better.)

Happy shooting

On the new extractor: Like the Steyr needs another loaded chamber indicator..

#3 ·
I just installed it and ran some plastic dummy rounds through my gun. The extractor ripped off the bottom of the plastic rounds (FTE) on 2 of 10 attempts. I hope this is just a break in issue as my old extractor did this many times when it was brand new.

Going to test this out at the range with live fire later this week.

#4 ·
They were plastic, of course they are going to rip apart.

Get some nice aluminum dummy rounds.

I like mine, but my extractor tears them up when I do reload drills with them.

I'm tempted to mess with my extractor as described above to make it bite a bit more.
The FTE's are due to poor collars on the rounds of cheap ammo, not really the guns fault.

#5 ·
I went to the range and fired 60 rounds with the new extractor. Early on I had one failure to go into battery. (the round chambered but the extractor didn't snap onto the rim of the case). No other problems after that. I also did not have any brass hit me in the face.

In regards to the one issue, I assume it's either because the extractor is new or maybe a bad casing on the ammo.

#6 ·
The NIB S9-A1 I own had three FTEs in the first 70 rounds. I received a replacement extractor for the "9" that came stock and since then I haven't had a single issue. I've read that the extractor for the .40S&W model is the cure for the 9mm extraction issues, but you'll have to get confirmation for this from SAI or other quarters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.