New(er) S40 battery click issue, I MIGHT have found te real culprit

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by southernfryedyankee, Feb 15, 2013.

1. southernfryedyankee

southernfryedyankee New Member

I bought an S40 yesterday and like my brand new S9 it is having the battery click issues. I saw someone had posted the video of polishing up the firing pin where it rolls over the roll pin, to a point I do believe that this has SOME to do with the issue. I believe the REAL issue is the firing pin spring itself. People have mentioned that when the firing pin is in the cocked position it is fighting against the recoil rod spring, I do not think so. I think that the firing pin spring collar and spring are binding up in the firing pin itself. I removed both the firing pin and spring then basically made the 2 do the hanky panky. I can feel the spring and spring lock grinding and catching on the inside of the firing pin even when I manually rack the slide. I pulled the spring out, cleaned the firing pin out and oiled but the grinding is still there. After looking closer at my spring it almost seems like it is just slightly too long for the rod it is attached too as I can see it is quite wavy, I also notice that the spring collar is very sharp. From here I did an experiment and put everything back together minus the firing pin and spring and when I rack the slide, no grinding, no hangup and no clicking in and out of battery, I obviously could not pull the trigger because their is nothing for the firing pins release mechanism to attach itself too. I put the pistol completely back together again and it will not fully seat in battery and the grinding is back. I did order a BT a set of the striker spring bushings for my S9 but may have to try it on the S40 instead. To me there is no way that the striker spring is working against my recoil rod spring as that spring is STOUT. The problem is in the spring setup itself or the chamber for the striker is to narrow in my particular striker and it is causing semi solid lockup. All the issues are happening when that striker and striker spring are engaged. I will try to get some pics ASAP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. southernfryedyankee

[video=youtube;p-fmm1TQE2w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-fmm1TQE2w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

3. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

Does it effect the function of your Steyr? I just got my MA1 40 yesterday and it does the same thing. I lovetne firearm and think it has potential to really be a market force and eventual driver in the future. I contributed mine to being new. I only have 50 rounds through it. The one complaint or issue I have about Steyr is the break in period I just picked up my XD and have had maybe 5 malfunctions in 6k rounds. I never did any sort of break in with any of my 3 XD's. Just a thought. Let me know what you find out.

4. southernfryedyankee

The clicking of my 40 is much more pronounced than on my S9 so I do not know how it will effect performance yet. If the slide is completely in place then it will most likely not effect the function and I am going to shoot today and I will reply back with my findings. I think it is more of an annoyance issue than anything else but regardless it should not be happening at all. If I am right and it is the spring and collar I do not know if even a break in will correct my issue. Now with that being said I used the polishing of the striker on the side that rides over the roll pin on my S9 and that definitely helped, I am going to swap my 9mm's striker spring and throw it in the 40 just to see what happens and if I get the same results.

5. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

You need to get the Big Taco Delrin striker (note that the Steyr has a striker not a firing pin) cups. They eliminate the binding you're feeling. Long ago this was a problem, that's why BT developed the cups. There is a Download Tutorial on how the binding occurs, and the polishing that removes it, but the cups eliminate the problem and provide a better feel to boot.

6. southernfryedyankee

I already have a set on the way, I did not know I was getting the S40, it was kinda an unexpected surprise so I will buy another set. I do know that the Steyr has a striker and I have no idea WHYYY I referred to it as a firing pin (I think I am just more accustom to saying firing pin when I talk to regular people)I am going to order another set right now.

7. southernfryedyankee

I looked further into the issue and I was also noticing that my striker on my 40 was riding over the roll pin extremely hard even with no burrs, I polished the striker like I did on my S9 and while I am still getting some of that gritty feeling (which I believe is from the striker spring it is not as pronounced. I am hoping that between a striker polishing and getting BT's striker spring bushing this clicking will be a thing of the past.

Just out of curiosity is the roll pin absolutely necessary?

8. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I have no idea. My M40-A1 was mfg in NOV 05, so I had the striker weight burr issue, plus a little extra fun in that not all the cosmoline had been removed. After a bath in mineral spirits and buffing with a coffee filter, plus polishing the striker guide rod and deburring the striker weight, I was much happier. With the installation of the BT cups, totally happy at last!

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

I'm curious about a Steyr pistol guide rod being recessed in the slide, kinda like it's shorter than its supposed ta be. I've had numerous M*'s, S*'s, M*-A1's an' S*-A1's an' I never hadda guide rod not be "flush with the slide" in any of 'em. <shrug>

bab's?

Does anyone else hava Stery pistol that doesn't have the guide rod flush with the end of the slide when its closed?

Plz PM me if you do an' plz give the date code/s.

TY. :)

BTW *yankee, great video presentation, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- may be ignorant or unobservant, but never seen or heard of sucha thing..."the guide rod not being flush with the slide when fully closed" <shrug>

10. doctordoctor

doctordoctor New Member

It looked like the rod was placed backwards to me... but as far as the battery issue goes I have the same thing on my ma1 built april of 2012. I played with all my other handguns and only the steyr has "the battery bump or hiccup"

11. southernfryedyankee

WULF, thank you for the vid compliment, as you probably saw in my video my guide rod does not sit flush either but only on the S40. Looks kinda tacky if you ask me, I do not know if it supposed to be like that either as it definitely was not in backwards.

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I know the S40-A1 has a longer slide than the S9-A1, and I suspect the guide rod used is the same for each pistol, leaving the extra 'space' at the front of the S40-A1. I have yet to handle such a beast, and it is the only Steyr I still do not have in my collection. Perhaps someone with multiple Steyrs, including an S40-A1, can field strip them and compare recoil spring guide rods between them. Photos would be really nice!

13. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

4mm longer with the S40 compare to S9 according the the product data sheet at steyrarms.com.

I wonder on the quality control of these pistols and how they can earn an ISO 9000 certification with defects described in this thread???

Anybody from Steyr Arms reading this???

14. Talyn

Talyn New Member

That makes a LOT of sense.

15. southernfryedyankee

I know this sucks to say but Steyr should have fixed the old issues (especially with their new guns) than come out with a completely new Steyr all together which will probably end up having the same issues as we are having.

16. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Same can be said about car companies as well.

All depends on bean counters.

If they are standing behind somebody to hurry them up, quality gets lost.

17. southernfryedyankee

THat is very very true.

18. N24RE

N24RE Member

I would love it if you could measure the height of the Striker Channel to that of the Roller Bearing. I am betting the roller bearing is "hanging" down low in the path of the striker and thus causing a more severe bump in the travel.

Measure.jpg

Also a person could remove the roller bearing and see how it operates without it?

I am betting this is the main issue and the striker spring is causing a notchy feel in trigger pull only. I have a BT Striker Spring Guide Rod Bushings on my striker and the trigger improved 1000% but the "click" of going in and out of battery didn't go away till I sanded down the edge of the striker that meets that roller bearing.

Just my 2 cents!

Steve

19. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

IMO the ramp you put on the striker should have been designed in at the start.