New convert, and IDPA report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Guest, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am a new convert to the Steyr M9. My dad has one that I borrowed to shoot in my 1st IDPA match (small local match - 21 competitors), and I'm hooked. I had shot my grandfather's M9 before and loved it, but using one in the IDPA convinced me to buy one. It should be in at my FFL's next week.

I took 2nd place in my class out of 8 (stock service pistol, unclassified) with the Steyr. And my 1st shot in that match was 1st time I'd ever shot that particular specimen (or used a holster, for that matter). All others in my class were glockers. I was pretty happy with my 1st ever match. It's a blast, and I'll definitely be back for more.

2. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Welcome to the club. Great to hear another positive experience. Nicely done.

-D

3. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

wow 8O

third generation steyroid 8)

any relation to our docchronos and son?

4. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

Welcome to the club and congratulations on your first experience with IDPA. It's not perfect, but it's a great game. If you shoot regularly, you'll get more gun handling experience in a year than most shooter get in their lifetime. Hope to shoot against you soon.

5. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

Welcome and congrats.

I cannot wait to start IDPA...I just need to find more time to practice before I give it a try. When SC becomes larger, we should see if we can arrange a shoot with our members.

6. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr New Member

Aubie, Don't put off trying IDPA until you think you're ready. I have seen a lot of people never get started for because of that reason. Get your gear together and show up at a match. Let the person in charge know you are a new shooter. In my experience, you will be treated very well. Follow the safety rules and SHOOT SLOWLY at your first match. The goal is to learn the game, not win.

Once you have shot a match, you will better understand what you need to practice.

You just gave me an idea for an article on Steyr Club. Thanks.

Regarding the SC Steyr only shoot, I am ready to host the event as soon as we are ready as a group.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I completely agree. I had been wanting to try for a long time, and finally got up the nerve to go for it. I had intended to just go watch the match, but the guy I got in touch with about it invited me to give it a try. I bought a $15 Uncle Mike's holster and generic magazine pouch 2 days before the match. If you don't get into too big of a rush, and concentrate on good shot placement and safety, you can't go wrong. I asked to be put in the back of the rotation so I could watch and learn. The regulars were very helpful.