Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crossposted at Caracalforums.

Went straight from my dealer to the range today to get at least a few rounds through my new Caracal C (traded in a Beretta PX4 SC). First off, as a Steyr M9-A1 owner, I had high expectations for this pistol. I wasn't disappointed. The trigger everyone has raved about is TRUE, and holy moly is it true. Crisp, predictable, and beautiful reset. I had guys at two different places (the shop where I bought it and the shop at the range) try it, and I have a feeling both of them will be making a similar purchase soon
. Shooting this gun felt right, the kind of right that you feel when sinking into a soft, pillowy chair, made comfortable after decades of use (but sturdier).

It was accurate, more accurate than I am. First group of 5 at 13 yards was tight... but then something happened. The next group was just as tight... only about 4-5 inches to the left. I was a little confused at this point. I have the straight-8 sights, and I know I was sighting properly, but was I pulling? Was it me? Perhaps I was just rusty after being away from the range for a few months. I pulled the gun in to examine if the front sight was properly lined up. What I saw truly surprised me...

I turned the pistol over and it SLID! It actually moved around without much effort. I could take it in my fingers and slide it right out with ease. At least I knew I wasn't doing something funky with my form.

Well, I paid for my ammo and I paid for my range time, so I figured I may as well just use it while I can. I lined up the posts as well as I could and decided to push the target back a bit. Somehow I still managed to hit with the remaining of the 50 rounds (Sellier & Bellot 124gr - no failures of any kind). It wasn't the prettiest I've shot, but it still felt right.

I do see what people mean about trying to use the slide catch to put a round into battery, though. I attempted it once and decided that slingshotting with the Caracal is just easier (queue discussion on proper technique...
).

What I ended up doing was taking the pistol back to the shop where I purchased it. Their armorer was kind enough to glue the front sight down (it will be setting overnight) and then proceeded to also order another sight from their distributor (they even offered me coffee while I waited - great guys). I suppose for now, the plan will be to shoot it with the current sight and see how it holds up and hold onto the other one as a backup. I will most likely end up having it installed if I decide to carry this. I'd rather not suddenly need the pistol and realize at the worst possible moment that even though I'm aiming at the bad guy, I'm shooting at the folks behind him.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else encountered this issue? I was somewhat shocked when it happened, but I still love this gun. I was also surprised to see it had Waffen Werks trademarks. Go figure.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I am also planning to purchase BT's guide rod. I have one (and his delron cups) for the Steyr. It's good stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also just purchased a new Caracal C just a few weeks ago and I agree with all of your favorable comments about the shoot-ability.I didn't have a problem with my sites;however my guide rod/spring broke on my first trip to the range the day after I bought it. The plastic on the end of the guide rod cracked; and I actually just got a new replacement from my dealer through Steyr. My pistol has Waffen Works stamped on it as well by the way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I read about your issue with the guide rod, and that surprised me as well. I hadn't heard of a guide rod breaking like that, though I am not surprised that Steyr would provide you with a new one. Their customer service is exemplary. I've corresponded with Jeff once, and if I need to, I won't hesitate to contact him again. At this point, though, I'll just see how this works out. I don't want to abuse SAI's good graces :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts