Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I picked up a Steyr C9-A1 as my first real quality pistol, and after some initial issues, I'm very happy with it.

The first time I took it out, I got very concerned with issues returning to battery - the slide would be just a WEE bit too far back, and I'd get a horrendous 12-15lb trigger pull that would first return the slide to battery and then fire. I also had some issues with rounds not going off when fired. I chalked it up to a brand-new pistol needing a break-in, but called Steyr anyway to ask them about it. I was told that the Steyr has a lighter firing pin spring than some, and thus doesn't work well with harder primers. Also, I was told it would need some break-in with good quality factory ammo before it would be reliable. After I bought a 100-round value pack and ran it through without any issues, and was then able to shoot my reloads without issue, I figured he was right. When I treated it right, it was a complete joy to shoot - Great trigger, easy to acquire sights, mild recoil, etc.

All the same, I have occasional misfires with CCI primers (3-5 per 50), and VERY frequent misfires with TulAmmo (15 or so), whereas Federal ran through just fine. Steyr says they can't get me extra-strength firing pin springs, but has anyone around here come up with a solution to get a bit more oomph out of the firing pin? I'm happy to just run Federal primers through her, but I'd like it to be reliable with any factory ammo I could pick up, including stuff with harder primers.

Oh, another reason I might want an extra power firing pin spring is because I've been getting primer swipes. I know they're nothing to worry about, but word is on the intertubes that stronger firing pin springs or lighter firing pins have helped solve these issues with other semiautos of similar design.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I understand budgets, but I'd avoid ammo that doesn't work well in a weapon.

The wipe is truly from the striker. Things that can cause that include, too slick of a lube on the slide rails, too heavy a lube in the striker, or too much lube in the striker channel, or debris in the striker channel, behind the neck-down. The slide needs some viscosity to help the timing, and with oil or gunk in the striker channel you get the same effects - weak strikes or FTFs. The viscosity keeps you from finding side-dented cases, or cases stuck laying on top of the next round - this occurs when the slide moves so fast that the rotation of the spent case isn't enough to keep it from being trapped in the chamber as the slide closes. Case dings show you you are close to being there. STP, or SlideGlide both help with that problem - you may not have it.

Take the slide off and remove the rear panel to give you access to the striker channel. Clean it well with mineral spirits or your favorite brand of cleaner - don't use a fiber cleaning element like a Q-tip, they leave fuzz. A rolled up coffee filter works. Afterward, I'd try lubing it with dry moly or a moly with an evaporating carrier, before changing the spring weight. Do the panel removal in a clean kitchen garbage bag to keep parts from flying away - it is almost a must during re-assembly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using the EX-2B grease from Lubrikit.com on the slide rails now, and a lightly oiled q-tip's worth of FMO-350-AW oil inside the firing pin channel. I'll try and get some lint-free swabs of some kind to clean out the firing pin channel, and see what that does.

I'm kinda leery of the SlideGlide - It looks more like glue than a lubricant. Unless I get serious problems with firing pin swipes, I think I'll stick with what I have - I'd hate to start having malfunctions from going too far in the other direction.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The cup springs would get you a slightly harder primer strike because of less hangup.

As for not going into battery, it is fussy till its broke in cause tolerances are so tight. Specially with re-loads, all depends on how well the rounds were sized after firing.

Plus if your sissy-handling the gun (riding the slide) it wont work right, its not designed to be ridden.

The mag will pop the round out too soon and it doesn't have enough power in the spring, which I doubt any pistol does, to push the extractor over the casing.

If you let the slide go home, the timing will allow the round to pop up behind the extractor like it's supposed too.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you ride the slide, it throws the timing off.

It's nice to know we can get a heavier firing pin spring for these though.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I understand budgets, but I'd avoid ammo that doesn't work well in a weapon.

The wipe is truly from the striker. Things that can cause that include, too slick of a lube on the slide rails, too heavy a lube in the striker, or too much lube in the striker channel, or debris in the striker channel, behind the neck-down. The slide needs some viscosity to help the timing, and with oil or gunk in the striker channel you get the same effects - weak strikes or FTFs. The viscosity keeps you from finding side-dented cases, or cases stuck laying on top of the next round - this occurs when the slide moves so fast that the rotation of the spent case isn't enough to keep it from being trapped in the chamber as the slide closes. Case dings show you you are close to being there. STP, or SlideGlide both help with that problem - you may not have it.

Take the slide off and remove the rear panel to give you access to the striker channel. Clean it well with mineral spirits or your favorite brand of cleaner - don't use a fiber cleaning element like a Q-tip, they leave fuzz. A rolled up coffee filter works. Afterward, I'd try lubing it with dry moly or a moly with an evaporating carrier, before changing the spring weight. Do the panel removal in a clean kitchen garbage bag to keep parts from flying away - it is almost a must during re-assembly.

Thanks for the great tip on cleaning the firing pin channel. I've been using a q-tip myself, but thats really to ream it out. I hit it with the air compressor when I'm done.
I'm sure I might have a fuzz in there, just cannot be perfect.

I think some coffee filters are going in my cleaning box here later tonight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts