New AUG owner

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by IRONCROSS, Oct 13, 2006.

1. IRONCROSS

IRONCROSS Guest

Hi everyone!, Im new to the boards and new to the ownership of the AUG.

I have just purchased a nib 905 green AUG and I absolutely love it, and I think Im going to shoot it-. . .maybe :-k :lol:

Is there anything I should consider before shooting ? Should I break the barrel in? and what about any safe guards , such as protecting the ejection port from damage?

Another concern I have- something I really never considered is when I shoulder the rifle I notice the ejection port is right next to my right eye- is there a issue with explosive gasses and debri getting into your eye?

How many rounds can I shoot before I will have to replace parts?

I hope some of you AUG veterns can answer.

Well I guess thats enough for my first post- Im glad to be here and Thanks in advance to any who might answer.

IronCross.

2. mikey

mikey Guest

Many of us on this board are “AUG veterans” only in our dreams. :D It’s the rifle we all aspire to own, and I’m always a bit envious when I hear of someone picking up a new one.

For target rifles, many folks suggest a break-in routine of firing one shot, then cleaning, then firing two shots, than cleaning, than firing three shots, then cleaning . . . It’s an ordeal, and honestly, the AUG is not intended as a precision target rifle anyway. I wouldn’t get too obsessive about it.

Anyway, I can’t be of much help with your other questions, but I do congratulate you on your shiny new acquisition!

3. some_finn

some_finn Guest

With a chromed barrel break-in is completely unnecessary and doesn't do any good.
    It's a good idea with cut rifled barrels especially on target guns.

You will get some scrapes from the ejected brass behind the ejection port, so if you want to keep it 100% pristine you might want to put some tape there.

You shouldn't have any issues with stuff getting into your eye from the ejection port. Having the ejection port so close does feel a bit weird at first but while shooting, you won't even notice it.
    Of course some kind of (protective) eyewear is always highly recommended when shooting any firearm.

I expect to put thousands and thousands of rounds through my AUG before having to replace any parts.

Congrats on your purchase. Personally I do hope you shoot your gun - if you "can't" shoot it, it's not really a gun, now is it? Just a showpiece, like a porcelain figurine on the mantelpiece or something :wink:

4. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Clean it before you shoot it, then shoot it! Now its broken in!! Oh and a range report is mandatory! Congrats! Dont let it be a safe queen!! Get that thing dirty!

ETA: welcome to the forums!

5. smores

smores Guest

+1 It's designed as a battle rifle. Get some rounds downrange and let us know about it! I wish I could afford an AUG... :x

6. IRONCROSS

IRONCROSS Guest

Thanks to all for the replys. Some Finn thank you for the great info.

I would be happy to give a range report.

Cold_Fluorescence and Mikey I have waited 21 years to buy a AUG- in 1985 I first shouldered one and fell in love. So some dreams do come ture.

7. FantaxItaly

FantaxItaly Guest

:D Hi everybody from Italy!!!! :D
    I am a new guy in this forum and a new Steyr AUG owner.
    My rifle is the A2 model, 20" barrel, with the optional Picatinny rail.
    Asap I 'll post some pictures :roll: if someone can help me to do it. .

Ok ! Here it is : [​IMG]

8. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Hello, and congrats on your new rifle. =D>

First of all crop your pictures to remove your feet etc. unnecessary stuff possibly shown and resize the pics to a reasonable size (640x480, 800x600).

You may have server space for a home page provided by your internet service provider. If so, see their instructions for uploading the pics there.
    Or create an account on a hosting site like http://imageshack.us/.

When you have uploaded your pics onto the server, copy/paste the address of the picture you want to display here.

Use the "img" button to place the appropriate tags behind and after your pic's address.
    The hosting server may also provide you with the address in such a way that it already has the "img" tags so you just have to copy/paste the whole thing directly onto your new message.

Check with the preview button that everything works as intended before hitting the submit button.

9. FantaxItaly

FantaxItaly Guest

:D And more pictures.... :lol: :roll: " late is better than never..." :roll:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. FantaxItaly

FantaxItaly Guest

:D Thank you ministerofdeath , 8) I just own the original Steyr brass catcher ( :cry: not in my pictures ) and I have just bought at http://www.triggertamer.com my trigger tamer.
    It is a wonderful idea, and works very well.

11. some_finn

some_finn Guest

:shock: I don't have any tape on mine! Maybe you saw the markings left by the brass, and thought it was the tape?
    I think I mentioned on a post one could use some tape if one wanted, but I never had any on my rifle.
    Mine is not a safe queen or a collectible.

12. SteyrScoutSniper

SteyrScoutSniper Guest

fantax thats one nice looking aug especially with that big scope on it. u lucky bastard i wish i had an aug.

13. FantaxItaly

FantaxItaly Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Yes, in Italy we have a lot of AUG, but we miss :cry: the Colt M4 or AR 15 :cry: and the other similar :cry: brands ( Armalite, Olympic, Bushmaster,DPMS and so on...... )
    They are imported very slowly because the US Govern stopped the export of these assault like rifles.....

:idea: :idea: Ok, would you make a business? :D
    8) We can exchange my Steyr AUG with a pair of Colt or Olympic .... :wink:

14. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Yes, I can understand someone doing it in the US where you can't get more of 'em (real ones :wink: ) and they have a special value.

The SIG 550 rifles eject their brass so hard it actually scrapes the finish off the receiver so on them it's not just a cosmetic issue.
    Off topic but came to mind.

15. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Not sure if this is the proper thread for this post - and I am not trying to piss in anyones punch - but here goes...

A couple or so weeks ago I took an intro defensive carbine (AR) course and I asked the instructor at the end of the class if he had any experience with AUGs. He said, "They make great boat anchors." My heart sank.

He went on to say that he has had occasion to see AUGs in classes and has never seen one make it past 500 rounds before having to be retired for the day due to a serious malfunction. Plus, he added, they are very expensive (knew that) and parts are hard to come by (figured that, too).

I have now taken two classes with this instructor, who is very respected in the area and frankly, everything he has said or taught has been validated by other sources and I have a lot of confindence in him and huge respect. My strongest tendency is to believe that he knows what he is talking about.

Again, I am not tryint to stir up controversy, I am simply wondering if people who actually have AUGs or have used them to any meaningful extent can comment on their reliablity, etc.

Thanks!

16. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The Australian army can probably speak of the reliability of the AUG platform with their issued F88 Austeyr (1993-present). I have no first hand experience and the adoption of a weapon system by a major military force is not necessarily a ringing endorsement of quality, so I'm not going to say your instructor is flat out wrong. However, it has been my experience that a lot of trainer types have a pretty unilateral bias against anything that is not an AR-15, and if they don't know a lot about it and it's not made in the good 'ol US of A, it must be junk. Again, I don't know the guy and I'm being very general (and perhaps unfair), but FWIW, I've only heard glowing reports from owners and users of the weapon system.

17. some_finn

some_finn Guest

I haven't counted but mine has to have well over a thousand rounds through it without a single malfuncion of any kind.
    I think I've cleaned it twice. Wasn't really necessary, it just doesn't get dirty. I usually just pull a Boresnake through the barrel after shooting.

18. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Syntax, I would think the same thing - especially considering that he is an AR armorer - but he owns at least a couple AKs and stated flat out in the class that the idea that the AR is unreliable and the AK inaccurate are myths and flat out wrong. He doesn't tend to bust on gear, at least not unsolicited. Dunno...

Finn, glad to hear your AUG is running fine. For me the whole discussion is academic until Steyr starts making an AUG in the US that is more competitively priced.

Thanks!