Need Help with Mambo

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by luvmy40, Aug 30, 2007.

1. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

I am trying to get a website up. I have subscribed to GoDaddy for web hosting, have registered my domain and downloaded Mambo content editor and templates.
    I can build a computer system blindfolded but I seem to be totally lacking any ability to build a web site. If any one has any experience with Mambo I would be eternally in your debt for any help/advice you could throw my way. The tutorials and forum discussions that I have been able to locate all seem to assume that I am fluent in HTML and Mambo in general so the are not much help to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. clemsonsteyger

clemsonsteyger New Member

I am not familiar with mambo, but I their are some things that I know.

1. I assume that you have a server that is going to "host" your site.
    2. When you registered the domain with GODADDY, did you "point" the domain name to your servers IP?
    3. Once this is complete you should atleast see the empty folder contents via the web.

3. Boyandhisdog

Boyandhisdog Guest

I always liked Mambo as a CMS/portal for websites however it can be a bit heavy and slow at times. The key to it is making sure you have the info you need from GoDaddy. I know that they host .php and mysql on Linux servers so you are ok there but I am not sure if they let you create your own mysql DB's or if they have to do it. As long as you have the mysql db setup right and the info for Mambo to use it as well as telnet access or some other way to change permissions on the folders Mambo needs, the installer is pretty self explanatory... Also, read the docs on installing if you havent already.

4. mrboma

mrboma Member

Mambo

luvmy40,
    I would strongly suggest Joomla http://www.joomla.org/.
    A much better alternative to Mambo. I have quite a few designer buddy's who use it and love it.
    I personally do not use "Open Sore" options when building a site (my profession now for 6 years) but it can be helpfull to some.
    If you are totally html inept, you may want to look into the GoDaddy site builder. Although not the most powerfull way to build a site, I have heard it is stopid simple.
    You are welcome to PM me if this doesnt help, I'll see what I can do.
    Mike

5. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

Thanks for the replies.

I found a PDF Quick Start Guide for the Mambo that cleared up some questions as far as how the system is organized. I will stick with the Mambo for now as it is free ware.
    With the help of my 13 year old son and 15 year old daughter, who are both quite fluent in HTML, I think I will be able to get a rudimentary site up shortly. I dont need anything fancy at this point any way.

Thanks again.