Need an expert opinion on M9A1 magazines

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Jubal, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Jubal

Jubal New Member

I had something odd happen today when I went to the firing range. It wasn't something I expected, I had inserted the magazine into my M9A1 (15 round magazine), pulled the slide back, let go, and the slide only moved partially and stopped. I checked to make sure there was no round in the chamber (there was none), removed the magazine, repeated the whole process, it did it again. Removed magazine, checked it out, removed 1 shell from the magazine, re-inserted the mag, pulled slide back, worked like it was supposed to. 14 rounds works fine. I forgot to check, but I am fairly certain I had 15 in the magazine as I was supposed to (I could be wrong). Has anyone had any experience with this, do I need to "break-in" the magazine(s)? I have not had any problems with the 17 round mags that I purchased, nor any of the other mags that I have. The only issue I have have had with previous pistols is the 0.40 Springfield XD I had, the magazine was supposed to hold 12 but it was a battle to get the 11th one in, so I left it to that. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated........Thanks

2. Branth

Branth New Member

It's possible your only problem is that the springs are way too stiff. Leave the mags loaded for a while. You could also try to cycle the springs by either loading and unloading the mags a few times, or using a wooden dowel or something to push the follower up and down.

As with most semi-auto malfunctions, this sounds like a magazine problem to me.

3. Jubal

Jubal New Member

Thanks for the info Branth, I'll give it a go.

4. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

It happened to me today also.

Mostly with the new 17rd magazine, for some reason the 1st bullet did not insert properly or something.
    I reduce the number of bullet to 15rd and it works.

Both 15rds mag came with the gun works flawlessly.

I put around 200rds and by about 100rds, everything start to work.

Not sure if the 17rds magazine is still too stiff, only time will tell.

5. Branth

Branth New Member

I had left mine loaded for a couple of weeks before I had a chance to shoot them, and also unloaded and loaded them maybe 10 times. I had no trouble, but I could have just been lucky.