Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking into getting a non-optic AUG for awhile now, but was curious about the NATO vs Austrian models. Obviously the NATO takes AR mags and the Austrian uses the original AUG mags, but besides that what differences are there? Could you put a NATO gun in an Austrian stock or vice versa or is there more to the internals than just the stock and magwell area?

·
Super Moderator
447 Posts
TN Steyr made a good video on this I’ll put down below. So for changing the stock. Yes you can swap them (300 when in stock) however the bolt release is different on the trigger packs so for that to work you need to swap that part or the trigger pack, otherwise you lose the bolt release function. As for differences the real main two are 1. Mag and 2. Bolt release. The standard has the bolt release and the nato you need to run the charging handle. There are minor differences like one vs two trigger bar that in theory can make the standard more consistent trigger pull but I don’t think you will notice much. People have said their nato does have a 2nd trigger bar, but I haven’t seen one in person that does. Shooting them side by side I really didn’t notice much difference, both had the trigger bar adjusted so that could play a role. I recommend ratworxs 2020 sear for trigger anyway. Things to consider is aftermarket parts are more available for the standard like a Corvus mag release, but pouches for the standard mags are more difficult to find. You can get them like with esstac or use a ar15 double pouch like with assault warrior systems but taco style pouches will not work due to the mag locking lug. I believe only the standard can be changed to left handed but I need to check that again. Personally I like standard, mags are not munch especially with magpul and you can get the factory waffle 45 rounders which work great, but I know some who do not want to add another 556 mag into the mix so they stay nato and I haven’t heard a complaint. If nostalgia, wanting a gun in its military configuration, or the bolt release are not important then it’s a level playing ground in my view. I mean it’s a Aug, you will be happy either way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So you want a NATO stock because it has a metal mag catch? You do realize that the trigger pack and and trigger mechanism is polymer but you want a metal magazine catch. That's amazing. Probably should go to a different platform.
I was referring to the metal mag catch on the now gone MSAR E4’s. When the E4 came out it has a few distinct advantages over the AUG NATO stock notably a bolt catch/release like the standard AUG stock, better texturing and a lot of rails and many would say a better stock trigger. The problem was they started with a polymer mag catch for the stanag mags and it would lock the mags in the stock. Metal mag catches were retrofitted-problem solved. The E4 stock will work with AUG’s but it won’t go the other way. The distinct advantage is that the manual or arms is really no different that the standard AUG. So for those who run an AUG you have stanag capability with minimal modification in how you use it . For many running a standard platform but also own an AUG they are likely invested in stanag magazines and compatible gear it is advantageous to be able to stanag mags in either case. If you have been running AUG’s in 3 gun and tactical classes for almost 2 decades you would understand the advantages of having one. Having NATO compatibility isn’t a bad thing specially if you make very little compromises. Probably should research about it. Pretty obvious you posted before reading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off I would never own a MSAR product unless it was an OTF so no I don't have experience with that failed platform. Second I bought my first AUG from Pete back in the 80's probably before you were born so I know a little bit about them. If you want to run a bastardized AUG with an AR mag go ahead. It really just looks retarded.If you want to run three gun probably an AR would suit you better. Again the most common thing is gee I have a bunch AR mags so I will get a NATO stock. So you buy a NATO stock when it would have been better to just buy some AUG mags. Probably should research about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Touchy considering you started with the sarcasm. Have a happy day. In the 80’s I was humping through the jungle carrying an M-16 leftover from the Vietnam War so it’s a love hate but mostly hate relationship though it has gotten better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts