Nasty jam with a live round

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by 06STI, Dec 22, 2007.

1. 06STI

06STI New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and wish I had something bright and cheery to add. I loved my new M40-A1, but was unaware of the issues regarding Steyr's distate for UMC ammo.

To make a long story short, I have a live UMC .40 round stuck in the chamber and the slide won't budge. Should I bring it to the Sheriff's dept to be destroyed. Any suggestions??

2. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

NO! Don't do that! I assume you have pulled the trigger and the round did not fire? If the trigger has been pulled, FOR SURE, and the striker is not in the charged position you should be fine. I had this happen to an S9 of mine once. I simply took the slide off the receiver then put my thumbs on the top of the barrel hood and pressed down hard, the barrel released from lock up and I was able to retreive the live round. Then I would send it to Steyr to have them check out why it happened, but do not ship it with a loaded round in the chamber.

3. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Get a Large Wood block and a rubber mallet.
    Do this outside away from houses and people in some soft dirt.

This is how a gunshop would do it except they would have a 5 gallon bucket of sand under the muzzle.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put the block on the ground, put the pistol muzzle down on the block, hit the rear of the frame till it comes loose.

Tap it first, then hit it harder and harder till it comes loose.
    How hard? As hard as your guts allow.

Once the slide starts to come back, put only the edge of the slide on the block, letting the barrel move free so the slide can cycle as you hit it.

Be safe, take your time, think every step through before doing it.
    Watch that trigger!

If the extractor slips off the round and it stays in the chamber.
    Lock the slide back and use a wood dowel and the mallet to knock it out.

4. 06STI

06STI New Member

Thanks for the advice guys! With your help, I was able to extract the round from the chamber - it was really stuck AND the extractor wouldn't let go. I thought it was just the UMC ammo, so I tried loading some CorBon rounds which had fed well before. Guess what? The extractor wouldn't let go. There is a major malfunction here, and I'll definitely be shipping this pup back to Steyr. I realize that the extractor is a potential weak link and needs to be kept clean, but I have less than 100 rnds through the gun - it shouldn't be gunked up already.

I must say I'm dissappointed. I have an Ed Brown 1911 and HK P2000, and like the Steyr's ergonomics the best. But if I can't depend on it - it's worthless.

Thanks again for your very helpful suggestions, and Merry Christmas!

5. yugo308guy

yugo308guy Member

So, which method did you use to free it up? It will help to inform guys in the future as to which method to use.

6. 06STI

06STI New Member

I used a block of wood, mallet (and a prayer). The primer had a ding from the firing pin, but didn't fire.

I stripped the gun down (extractor and all), cleaned and lubed everything and will give it a 2nd try - with some non-UMC ammo. The components were surprisingly dry, maybe that was the problem, who knows. I really like the gun and want it to work, but this sort of thing has never happened with any other gun I've owned.

7. madecov

madecov Active Member

Steyr will have you up and running fast. This is the first time I've heard of a round getting stuck like that.

8. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

Basically the same thing happened to me at the range this evening. I have an M40-A1 and one of the 9mm conversion kits (M9 slide/barrel/recoil spring assembly). I have about 800 (until tonight, flawless) rounds of each caliber through this pistol, mostly Winchester WinClean. Tonight, while shooting a box of 9mm Remington UMC, after a trigger pull and no bang I saw the slide was about 3/8" short of being in battery. The slide would not move easily. Hard pushing put the slide in battery, but then it was stuck. Pushed the button and rotated the takedown lever and with considerably more pushing the slide came off. The barrel was stuck in the slide with a live round in the chamber. Visual inspection showed the extractor hook was in the proper place in the groove in the base of the round. The barrel would not come out until struck a couple of times with a rubber mallet. The unfired round fell out of the chamber once the barrel came out, it wasn't stuck at all. The primer had a light, off-center strike. I re-assembled the pistol and it appears to work properly, though I didn't put any more live ammo in it. I thought it was a bad round untile it fell out of the chamber, but with the barrel out of the pistol the round that was in there when the jam occured chambers properly, dropping into place and falling out when the barrel is tilted back.
    Oddly enough, before the the jam, the ejection seemed to be off as well, the Winchester ammo which had almost always ejected to the right just fine, threw several back at my head tonight.
    The pistol had about 300 rounds through it since the last cleaning, shooting mostly WinClean didn't grunge it up much.
    I've left it as is (not cleaned) and will be contacting SAI in the morning. Until today the M-A1 was the nicest, most reliable pistol I had ever owned (tied with the Hk P7/P7M8 at perfect), so I'm not giving up on the M-A1 because of one incident.

9. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

Called SAI this morning, got recording. I suppose they are off for the holidays, I'll call them again January 2.

10. Jeez, it has been said a million times in the past here do not use Remington UMC unless you're prepared for problems folks.
    :cry:

I hate seeing folks go through this kind of stress over ammo related problems. That extra few cents you save isn't worth it.

11. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

In my incident the problem does not seem to be related to the ammo. The cartridge was not stuck in the chamber nor does the cartridge appear to be out of spec in any way. Why the barrel and slide were locked together is still a mystery.

12. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

I've used Rem UMC no problems yet.

Probably an oversize case.

13. lordcase

lordcase Guest

I had the identical problem with Remington UMC rounds, just two or three days ago.
    The round jammed in the chamber and the slide would not function. It would neither fire nor slide. The Range Master took the barrel and pressed it into the wood of the bench. The barrel moved enough to free the load and he ejected it. It had a positive, slightly off center strike. He loaded the round back into the chamber and it fired perfectly. This is the secont Remington UMC round that has failed to fire though the first that jammed the weapon. I will not be purchasing any more of them.
    Every other type of round exept the aluminum Blazer ammo seems to feed just fine, including the steel case Wolf ammo.

14. rosebud

rosebud New Member

in response to my thread on this issue here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4742

A few light taps with the mallet got it un-jammed. The case looks completely normal, same scratch marks from the ejector when compared with another round that I just chambered and ejected. There is the light-strike mark on the primer also.

Has anyone experimented with removing the loaded chamber indicator?
    The only conclusion that I can come to is that it prevented the round from sliding into place properly, and i tested it with the gun apart to confirm that it does indeed take a good amount of force to move a brass case into position if it is lodged below the LCI pin rather than being pushed against it from the front.

15. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Yup, I had one almost get stuck under the LCI on my S9A1 on the first box ammo through it.
    It sort of "stuttered". I removed the LCI the next week.

Dissasemble the slide compleately, inluding the FP.
    Put the slide in a vice, remove the rear sight.
    Flip over the slide, pop off the micro C clip holding the LCI (watch out, you have to pull it up for it to come off and it wants to fly away).
    Grind off the tip of the LCI till it fits in flush with the slide and reassemble.

16. rosebud

rosebud New Member

I must be blind, I can't find the LCI stuff in https://www.steyrclub.com/forum/images/s ... iagram.png

What number is it, if it's in there?

17. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

You're not blind, it's not on that drawing.

Did Steyr finally get rid of it?
    Always seemed superfluous.

18. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Found my old pre-A1 schematic, shows the LCI clearly.
    Parts 36-38 in F block.
    You can see how the hole for it goes through the rear sight slot and the LCI itself is notched so it can't come out even if the C clip comes off.
    Probably a precaution to prevent it from flying out and into your face if a case ruptures.

[​IMG]

19. lordcase

lordcase Guest

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE ADVICE. I WILL TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION.

20. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Hmmmmm........

....wonder if this is WHY Steyr deleted the LCI from the NexGen pistols????

:think: :think: