Name your firearms

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

MidTnShooter got me to thinking when he named his Para Ord race gun "Ethel." If I picked names for my pistols, what would they be? And are they male or female? While guns, like Navy ships, are usually referred to as "she" I decided that three of my pistols oughta be males.

[​IMG]
    Top row, M357-A1 and Llama IX-C; middle row, Walther P22 .22LR and Glock 29 10mm; bottom row, pair of 9s, Kel-Tec PF-9 and S&W 669.

Here's my choices, arranged not by concealed-carry ability, but mostly by frame size, caliber, "nastiness" and of course, personal preference, as in "If I'm in a gun fight, which one do I want in my hand first?"

Llama IX-C, Full-size 1911 Hi-Cap .45 ACP, 5.125" barrel: "Big Bertha" in honor of WWI and WWII's largest artillery, the German 420mm/16.5" howitzer, 'cause whatever she hits will usually fall with one shot, but if not, there's 13 more a heartbeat away from where that one came from.

Steyr M357-A1, Compact 357 Sig, 4" barrel: "Thor" 'cause he hits like the Hammer of, and those hit by him usually fall like they're "struck by lightning" according to Masaad Ayoob, but if not, he packs 15 more rounds of Thor's lightning bolts (with my Wulf-special mags).

"Baby" Glock 29, Subcompact 10mm, 3.76" barrel: "Taz" in honor of "The Tasmanian Devil" of Bugs Bunny fame, small but extremely powerful and very nasty (actually even nastier than "Thor" but ranked right after him due to personal preference and 10+1 rds. vs. 15+1 rds.).

S&W 669, Subcompact 9mm, 3.5" barrel: "Sam (last name Smith)" in honor of Yosemite Sam, small but nasty and will shoot you full of 15+1 holes in a heartbeat.

Kel-Tec PF-9, 9mm pocket pistol, 3" barrel: "Cleopatra" 'cause she stings like an asp 7+1 times and will usually kill!

Walther P-22, .22 cal. auto, 3.4" barrel: "Stinger" 'cause she'll sting anywhere she hits 13+1 times and kill in the right spot.

And then there's my two main long guns for self-defense, one rifle and one shotgun, one female and one male.

Ithaca 37 12 ga. Pump shotgun, modified 18.5" barrel: "Katy" as in "Katy bar the door" with 5 rounds of buck inside and 6 more on the stock, and also in honor of my late mother, Katie.

Remington 742 30'06 auto rifle with Bushnell 3x9 'scope and 10-rd. mags: "Alex" in honor of Alexander Graham Bell, who enabled us to "reach out and touch someone" a long way off, in this case, 300+ yards with considerable accuracy.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Mine all have the same name: Bad News for Bad Guys

3. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I'm kinda simple so to keep from getting in trouble with the others I call them all babe, babes or honey....

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I like to name mine opposite of my desires for them, or opposite of their performance: Ole Jammer (M40), Cap'n TiedUp (M40-A1), Dinky (.45 LC Vaquero), Grumpy (1911 .45 in my avatar), and Chubby (Kahr PM40).

5. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

[​IMG]

If I had to name mine, I'd call them as follows;

Bushmaster M17s- Deb, after my X. She's a B**ch, and really nasty to deal with. (from the buisness end of course, she's a dream to shoot)

Steyr M40-A1 - Bishop, from Aliens, Very dependable and powerful, yet somewhat meek in appearance.

Beretta U22 Neios - Lance, short for lancer... It just seems to fit.

NAA Black Widow (.17hmr ) - Jett, from Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, she is small, but makes a strong statement.

My Norinco model 1887 Lever Action Shotgun, (not pictured) - Roy, for who else?...Roy Rogers...(/shrug)

6. AbeNormal

AbeNormal New Member

For reasons I'm at a loss to explain, of the many firearms I've called mine over the years I have only one that was ever given a name...
    [​IMG]
    PoPo-Gigo

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

And what, pray tell kind sir, is that? I can read the auto-pistol 1913, but not the rest.

And what's the meaning of the name? 'Splain please. :mrgreen:

8. AbeNormal

AbeNormal New Member

Netfotoj,

The pistole (above) is a 1913 Campo-Giro chambered for the cartridge 9mm Largo. It is the predecessor to the Astra 400 (below). The name, PoPo-Gigo came from the Ed Sullivan Show sort of, and is a misspelling/mispronunciation of, ToPo-Gigo. ToPo-Gigo was an Italian mouse puppet on the show.
    [​IMG]