Mystery Steyr

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Buzz, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Some time back on ebay some unfinished mystery Steyr frames were offered. Apparently they were found in the trash at Steyr or some such thing (someone may recall better) but these frames go with no Steyr currently in production. To me they look kind of like a cross betwen the GB and a 1911. See for yourself: http://cgi.ebay.com/STEYR-CASTING_W0QQi ... dZViewItem

The new L maybe?

Buzz

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...interesting.....

..dont think I much like it....

:( :(

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

I emailed Steyr-Mannlicher and SAI in hopes of identifyin' that frame. It looks 1911 knockoff-ish w/ a beavertail safetly on it, so I'd guess 45 ACP. I don't recognize it as a Steyr, tho. :shock: I also emailed the Ebay seller-dude and asked 'im ta send me a pic w/ the "Steyr ID" that makes him think its a Steyr. <shrug> I'll post whatever I get back from him. I bid on it, tentatively, but I only crowded another bidder's limit. If I get info from the seller-dude that makes me feel more comfortable with biddin' more, I will. Anyway, hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

I just got this info from the Ebay seller:

I wrote him back that I thought it wasn't a Steyr and that he shouldn't advertise that it was without proof. It looks like a 1911-A1 knockoff, to me. I guess I could be wrong, tho. :shock:

Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

It *could* be Steyr.
    I seem to remember someone saying Steyr was thinking about making a "L" that uses 1911 mags.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Count me in as another non-believer.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

The reason why I have doubts on this is that the first time these frames were offered on ebay (earlier this year or last year) the seller indicated that they were found in a dumpster or trash at Steyr. Problem is that any manufacturing would have taken place in Austria so how would partially manufactured frames end up in the garbage here? And, its sort of hard to imagine them just dumping frames like that in the trash.

But, who knows? Still, interesting if this does end up to be Steyr (which I do tend to doubt).

Buzz

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Sounds like its pegging a 10 on the Caveat Emptor Meter, Buzz.

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Sure looks like it. But, don't delete those photos so quickly! With the 1911 craze you never know if Steyr has some funky variant in store for us.

Never say never.

Buzz

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Never say never,.. again

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

The Mystery Casting has been removed from the Ebay auction. When ya go to the item page, ya get this:

I'm not sure why. <shrug> But I also got an email from Ebay, having bid on it.

Oh well, we may never know, but I expect to hear back from S-M and SAI tomorrow. Also, I emailed the seller asking him why the auction was removed. I'll post what I get back from the lot of them tomorrow. Hava great Sunday evenin'. :)

Wulf

12. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Keep us posted. I love a mystery.

BTW, if anyone wants photos of the casting I saved them.

Buzz

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

The Ebay seller, Ernie V. Rolson, emailed me the following when I asked him why Ebay yanked the listing:

I've yet to hear back from S-M or SAI. I'll stay on it. <shrug> Hava great week. :)

Wulf <-- still doesn't think its a Steyr :shock:

14. rosebud

rosebud New Member

Ebay recently changed their policy to not allow anything that is in any way firearm related to be sold there. It's a good reason to not buy anything there anymore, unfortunately.

15. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Here's a follow up on the Mystery Steyr. The Ebay seller that listed it has relisted it with Gunbroker.com ( http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=80709916 ) ... his discription has been modified. <shrug> I never did get a reply from SAI or S-M confirming or denying its authenticity. Prolly thought it too silly to warrant a reply. :shock: Oh well... :roll: Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

16. madecov

madecov Active Member

Interesting
    It is a 1911 pattern. But notice at the heel of the frame the way it has a Steyr MA1 style "hump"

I would doubt that the casting is for a Steyr pistol. Maybe an experimental casting for the mold to make a polymer frame.

I would imagine an L series in 45 would be similar to the M and S series modular construction.

The Modular construction of the Steyr is a perfect thing for the Police or Military Armorer.