My Walther P5, or, How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

There I was on vacation in Destin, Florida a few weeks back laying by the pool watching a kette of F15's fly over on their way back to Eglin when my cell phone rang (Derek Flint ringtone and all) and on the other end was my buddy from Houston. He was visiting a gunshop in Macon that he does some consulting for. He said to me "Guess what's in my hand". After a few smartass unprintable responses I gave up and he told me that it was a Walther P5, a gun that he knew that I was lusting after. I looked up at the beachside condo that we were renting and I could see the dollar signs with little wings aflutter flying off into oblivion. My pocketbook had just taken a direct hit and the frugality klaxxons were blaring a warning. Dang the timing.

So, knowing that the purchase was out of the question I set about finding an excuse to not buy the gun. I was told that the condition was 85%. Good! While I didn’t want a safe queen 85% was below the condition I was interested in. That excuse only lasted for a moment as I was reminded of what I already knew. This seller significantly under-represents conditions of their guns to help insure a completely satisfied customer. Then, my buddy told me that his opinion was the gun was at least 90%. I was foiled as I know that my buddy tends to under-represent condition as well. By then I was fumbling for an excuse. Before I could protest any further I was also told that the gun had been test fired and that it was as sweet shooting a gun as anyone could want. As I stood dripping by the pool I said the fatal words: “How much?”. The answer was $500 even. Dang, that was just what I wanted to spend. The gun was supposed to be going up on Gunbroker that evening. I was having a real difficult time saying “no”, but just then the cell phone low battery warning went off and I had my excuse to end the conversation. I hung up completely pissed at the bad timing. I decided to check the gun out when it went up on auction.

Four days later I was back home and the gun had just gone up for auction. There were no photos provided in the listing and there were no bids on the short auction. It was described as a “shooter” and not a safe queen. There was no reserve and the opening bid was $500. I spun in the in the wind for another day and then called my buddy back up and started the wheels turning towards what eventually became the purchase of the gun. I needed some time to pay and they offered me the kind accommodation of thirty days to get my funds together. I immediately sent a couple of healthy down payments paying for most of the gun. Ten days into the thirty, yesterday, I took the day off and drove down to Macon (125 miles south) to pick the gun up. I’m in love.

The condition of the gun is more like 92 to 95%. It’s a very early P5 with a newer retrofitted frame mounted trigger stop. Other than some holster wear the wear to the gun is dead minimal, indicating, like a lot of ex-police guns, a gun that was carried and not shot. I’m told that German police are only required to fire 200 rounds per year to qualify. The German police proof mark is obliterated by a .2 inch disk just deep enough to remove the stamp and was left bare unblued metal. I’m told by the Walther guys that know these kinds of things that some police departments were very strict about all evidence of the police proof being removed. I have since blued the area and it is just fine.

Besides being one of the sexiest guns that I've ever laid eyes on, the design is wonderful. I’ve never seen a de-cocker that works better. The location and reach is perfect. The double action trigger is initially long, as is the single action trigger, but both are velvety smooth and not all that heavy, but not particularly crisp, and very, very short after the break (thanks to that trigger stop). I’d imagine that trigger reset will be mighty quick. As there is no discernible break it will take some getting used to, but I expect good things. The feel of the gun in hand is excellent, and the grips are in excellent condition. The bore looks fresh and crisp, and the wear to the internal parts indicates minimal use. The size of the gun surprises me being smaller than I had imagined, and but for the thickness of the slide would be a top notch candidate for concealed carry.

I hope to shoot it this weekend. I’m pleased as punch that I had a second shot at this gun.

BTW, the serial number starts with "007". How cool is that?

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2527/img2402df0.jpg
    http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/562/img2408kl0.jpg
    http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5372/img2406ao5.jpg

Buzz

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

..Pretty Dang KEWL, Buzz!!!!

I'm lusting after one now...

:roll: :roll:

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

One thing I've found is that the memories that go along with the acquisition of a gun can be important as well, adding greatly to the whole experience.

Buzz

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Very schweet! I was trapped by a .380 PPK 2 weeks ago and am now using it as a BUG after putting 450 happy rounds thru it.
    Happy shooting.

Edit. Buzz, you already knew this, since we talked on the Walther Forum under your alter ego name.

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Yes, I've been following your progress with the PPK there. That gun is on my list. I'm either going to go with a blue Interarms or the Smith in stainless for the beavertail. I've got a line on two stainless Interarms here locally, but after the P5 they will have to wait.

My name on the Walther Forum is "Que" as "Buzz" was taken. On THR I'm "Storm" as Buzz was taken there also. Also "Ming" at HKPro (you guessed it, "Buzz" was taken).

Buzz/Que/Storm/Ming (but really Art)

6. SELFDEFENSE

One more stealth alias and you will be licensed to kill.
    I was a very leary at first with the redesign of the S&W PPK and PPK/S, but the extended beavertail has made it such that I have not had one nip of the fabled "Walther bite" in 450 rounds. So, for a gun that will be more than a safe queen or range gun, I would opt for the new S&W (never thought I would hear myself say that).

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I've got a line locally on two Interams stainless PPK (.380) in excellent shape ranging in price from $419 to $489 (are these decent prices?) but I'd prefer a blued gun and/or the beavertail. I'd rather buy this one locally and I don't run across a lot of blue PPK. I'd also prefer to save a bit and buy a used gun and I realize beggars can't be chosers. This gun won't be carried so the stainless isn't necessary but it will be shot so the beavertail would be nice. Then again I have a preference for an Interams era gun. I've kind of put myself in a difficult position to make a decision.

And then again, since it isn't a self-defense gun it would be fun to have it in .32 ACP, a caliber I once enjoyed with an HK4.

Such problems :roll:

Buzz

8. SELFDEFENSE

Buzz:
    I have seen used Interarms very good condition blue PPKs in a somewhat expensive store (1 block away from the Interarms warehouse in Alexandria, VA) in this expensive area for $500 a couple of years ago. If the $489 one is at least in very good condition you might want to take it, especially if you do not want to scour the country looking for the very best deal.
    I probably would have bought mine in .32 if I wasn't going to use it as a BUG, and it will be a nicer recreational shooter in the milder caliber.
    Keep us posted.

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Since business has been good (knock on wood) yesterday I put a Walther PPK/S on layaway. The two Walthers that I had looked at weren't PPK but were Interams and Smith PPK/S in stainless .380. I picked up a PPK and realized that the fit for me was better with the larger frame of the PPK/S. I also like the metal framed backstrap. The way that my hand fit there was no issue with bite. The beavertail on the Smith would serve me no purpose so I went with the Interams. The gun is 99% with a small crack in the grip panel by the screw which may be from over-tightening. Not a big deal I paid $409 which seemed fair if not generous. I can live with it. I had wanted blue but the stainless will be better in the long run.

Buzz

10. SELFDEFENSE

Congrats on your new addition to the Walther collection. Let us know how it is to shoot.