My Steyr Rebarrel Journey

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by Rufio, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Rufio

Rufio Member

I've read plenty of conflicting information regarding rebarreling Steyr rifles. Google search results indicate that the barrels are pressed in. That may have been correct decades ago, but not today.

Per Steyr, the SBS actions have threaded barrels and can be rebarreled by competent gunsmiths. That includes the Pro Hunter, new THB's, SSG04, and the SSG08.

2. Rufio

Rufio Member

So if a competent gunsmith can rebarrel the gun, who exactly will do it? I've asked numerous places and all declined. Sort of disapointing news that throttled my desire, until I ran into a post on snipershide of someone who claimed to have rebarreled his SSG04.

That led me into lengthy discussions with the helpful person whose post I read. Summary: John Elrod at Modacam http://www.mcr-rifles.com/Modacam_Custom_Rifles/Recent_Builds.html has rebarreled a couple Steyr's with great success.

3. Rufio

Rufio Member

Modacam's prices are reasonable and Krieger will cut the barrel of your choice.

I've been wanting a fast twist .243 Winchester to take advantage of heavy 6mm bullets and Krieger has what I want. I'll be sending in an SSG04 barrel for Krieger to copy. Then off to John at Modacam to fit the barrel to the .308 action.

I'll probably buy another pro hunter THB to use as a donor and sell the threaded heavy barrel to recoup some cost.

4. Rufio

Rufio Member

Stay tuned for more updates to my exciting adventure. I'll try to get some good pictures along the way.

Step 1 is a 5 month wait with Krieger...