My solution to the too thick slip-on grips

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by kraigster414, Nov 14, 2007.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

It's worked for me before and it works particularly good on the MA1....the ever-so-humble bike tube grip. Cut it any way you like, cost pennies, with a little hair spray applied underneath it stays put, provides traction, and ArmorAll to the outside really shines it up - but not slippery shiny. For about 6 bucks (Walmart bike dept), you can make enough grips to last you forever. I buy the Bell brand (Universal inner tube), 26 inch tire x 1.75, 1.90, 1.95, etc.

[​IMG]

2. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

That is a great idea. I have applied some custom made grip tape, but when I get poured on by Mother Nature, it sometimes plays havoc. I bet you could even scuff up the tube if need be.

Two thumbs up.[​IMG][​IMG]

Take Care,
    MTS

3. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I think of all the guns that I have put these things on, the MA1 aesthetically looks the best. They add no appreciable thickness and provide just enough "traction." And they last a long time. I've had the same one on my Glock 23 for over 2 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Thanks!!!

Walmart here I come :lol: :lol:

5. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Make sure you have a good, sharp scissors so you can cut cleanly. Makes a big difference. And don't worry if you screw up the first one - too short, too long, whatever. You've got a whole tire to play with - and all for about 6 bucks. And yes to the hairspray underneath. Not only will it make it easier to install over the grip but once it drys (overnight), the sucker shouldn't shift. And AmorAll or equivalent to the outside to make it really look nice. Some folks also like the grip rib side out, some like me prefer smooth side out. Your call.

6. smores

smores Guest

That's a pretty good idea. I don't like how the Hogue grips have their own finger grooves, on top of the ones molded into the grip of the Steyr. I don't know if I'll do this mod, but I like it a lot more than other options.

However if someone were to make some decal grips (pre-cut, I don't think I could DIY it well enough) like they have on the H&K USP custom combat pistols, I might consider that as well.

Good work!

7. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Holy crap batman!

KRAIGSTER FOR PRESIDENT 2008

8. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I am here to serve Chilly. :lol:

9. azerious85

azerious85 Guest

yes, i agree these are VERY nice, ive used this on my glock and it worked great! but after a few months i saw pre-cut rubber grips exclusively for my model for 10 bucks so i decided with those and havent gone back. i ahvfe hogue hand-all on my m9-a1 so i might just try it out

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Looks nicely integrated into the pistol's lines

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

Go to a bike shop. They have tons of Flat inner tubes they throw away. I got mine for free.

I did 5 handguns and still have inner tube left. Total cost $0.00

12. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Mad, I guess you could do that but for $5 at WalMart you're getting a virgin tube and I don't know - I could be wrong - but it just might last longer. Plus one tube will keep you in rubbers forever. (Hmmm. :D )

Plus at today's gas prices, it will cost you 10 bucks in gas to get to the bike shop. At least when I go to WalMart, I can check out their $6 hiking boots.

13. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

hmmmmm........

...wanna know what's wrong with this country?

:cry: :cry:

14. PeskyGee

PeskyGee Guest

I have some tubing on most of my guns and it works great :D Especially on the Kel-Tec PF-9. I think it takes a little bit of the bite off the gun and keeps it from wanting to jump out of your hand so easy.

15. azerious85

azerious85 Guest

Re:

HAHAHAHA
    +1
    LOL :party:

16. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Re:

I've tried 3 different Hogue grips on my Steyr. Most important thing to getting the correct Hogue grip - buy the one for TOOLS, not handguns. The grip for tools has no finger groove. Aside from this, the tool grips come in 2 sizes, Large and Small. Small works well, but is an absolute nightmare to get on the Steyr. Large size i got on my weapon in about 2 minutes, without any fancy boiling/hairspray/tools to wedge it on. It shifts slightly on my Steyr, and by slight i mean < 1/16th inch. I'm sure hairspray would remove this shift completely.