My second IDPA Match, Steyr blasting!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ThaiBoxer, Nov 4, 2006.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Shot my second IDPA match today. My first was last month, but that time I used my 1911 .45, walked calmly and aimed carefully. This time I hustled a bit more, but still aimed carefully and shot with my M40 and a Crossbreed IWB holster. Took 3rd of 18. The 1st and 2nd placers were both serious Steel/IPSC guys, so I was pleased.

Lots of "Hey, what is that gun?", "How do you like that Steyr?", and my favorite, "Say, that gun is accurate. Special barrel in it?". As if a miss at IDPA range is due to the gun!

Anyway, just waved the flag for Steyr pistols a bit, and had some good fun. The Steyr ran like a champ, as usual.

Ben

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

nice shooting, nice gun.

you must be one hell of a guy!!! (or gal, have to watch out for the female boxers in thai who may also be steyr owners)

in any event, certainly one of good taste and skills.

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Congrat's, Thai* :)

You rock! 8)

Wulf

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Thank you for the congrats, folks. I was helped because I can shoot with my weak hand, and so I picked up at least 30 seconds in one of the 5 stages that required strong hand only/weak hand only shooting. Most of the competitors did really poorly with the weak hand.

I did drop a few more points this time, with seven "-1" shots outside of the A zone. Plus I got a procedural for dumping a partially loaded magazine during a reload. I'm pretty new to this, maybe too new to spout an opinion, but it sure seems to me that IDPA does not reward accurate shooting. Is it a penalty of only 1 second added for every 5 points? Seems like you should get dinged more for hitting outside the A-zone.

Ben

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

it is one half second for every point down.

Then there is the Failure To Neutralize if you don't have at least one hit on the down 1 or down 0 (FTN) that adds 5 seconds if it is not a limited stage.

I forgot where I saw the thread, but someone did an analysis of the same stage shot by IDPA scoring vs. by ipsc scoring w/ getting a third A zone/Down 0 a third B zone/ Down 1, and a third C zone / Down 3 w/ the same time and round count. Turns out in IDPA you would get zinged a lot more overall for shooting like that than you would if you did it in Major Power Factor in USPSA.

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

That is good info, thank you for posting that, FlaChef.

My first match I got an FTN. They had a little paper target low to the ground behind a barrel, on a stage that was pretty busy with mixed targets and movement, and I just didn't see the sucker. FTN gets expensive, I thought I got dinged for points AND FTN for not shooting that target, but don't remember the specifics.

The IDPA courses are really pretty fun.

Ben

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats. IDPA is great for some practical testing of your setup.

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

It is good practice. I try to think that this could be real, and remember to keep behind cover. I have a tendency to want to stand up straight, face the target like it was a fist fight and then shoot, and that's not real smart when cover is available.

But the real truth is that as a kid, I loved running through the neighborhood with the other kids, playing "Cops n Robbers" or "War". This IDPA is a bit better. :)

Ben